First undersea cable between Africa and South America almost complete

/dev/null

That's nice. Africa is happy about this.
Google and others are making plans to roll out their own cables in an effort to monpolise the internet. Africa is against this.

system32

Expert Member
lower latency for US hosted services

How much do you think we will get from South Africa to Brazil?
WACS and MainOne then link ZA to Angola to SACS

https://manypossibilities.net/african-undersea-cables/

As we all know, substantial portions of the internet are hosted in USA.
<SNIP>
The introduction of SACS opens new routing
<SNIP>
Africa will be able to reach the USA without linking through Europe
<SNIP>
This is actually a big deal, as ZA will be able to get to USA via a shorter link - i.e. lower latency.

EDIT:
SAex cable - even better
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAex

Last edited:

Praemon

Expert Member
Don't see a main thread on this, so posting here. I see the cable has completed its splicing in Brazil - https://twitter.com/philBE2/status/981333442687307777

Apparently it will be commercially active by Q3 2018, which isn't that far away. I think this could have a big affect on SA, depending on the final latency. Apparently it will be 60ms between Angola and Brazil. Does anyone know what the latency is like between SA and Angola? And then Brazil to Miami? The article mentions 100ms from SA to Miami, but that seems very optimistic?

However, anything less than around 130ms will be fantastic. It would be a huge boost to local users of services that host in the US. Everything from business to entertainment and gaming services will see significant improvements.

Hopefully most ISPs will buy bandwidth to take advantage of the improved latency.

schuits

Expert Member
So soon my gaming be like:

Me: "Hi, welcome to the squad".

Jose "Com licença? Você fala português?"

<<Jose has been kicked from the squad>>

ponder

Honorary Master
Does anyone know what the latency is like between SA and Angola?

And then Brazil to Miami?

The article mentions 100ms from SA to Miami, but that seems very optimistic?

However, anything less than around 130ms will be fantastic.
No seeing as it's currently routed via france.

sao paulo to miami is 108ms

I call BS, straight line distance would be 140ms, this route is longer than a straight line

Praemon

Expert Member
No seeing as it's currently routed via france.

sao paulo to miami is 108ms

I call BS, straight line distance would be 140ms, this route is longer than a straight line
Yeah, looking further into it, a new cable that went live between Brazil and the US is achieving around 100-110ms. The new MONET cable - which is also from Angola Cables - is meant to be an improvement, but likely still around 100ms. So +60ms between Angola and Brazil, and then maybe another 40ms between SA and Angola, and we're looking at around 200ms in perfect conditions. Still an improvement, I guess, but EU will remain a better prospect for us. Sigh.