First video released of Perseverance rover landing on Mars

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
First video released of Perseverance rover landing on Mars

The successful Mars landing of the rover Perseverance on Feb. 18 provides the U.S. with the chance to accomplish several firsts: a drone helicopter flight on another planet, access to an ancient river delta that may yield microbial fossils, and the most exciting feat of all for the Internet Age: high-definition video of touchdown on another planet.

That third one is now a reality, after the National Aeronautics and Space Administration released the stunning video Monday following a big social media buildup over the weekend.

[Bloomberg]

garyc

Expert Member
Awesome video.

And from the article:
On Friday, NASA released a still image of the rover being lowered on its rocket-powered “sky crane”—another first for the U.S. space agency.
This is the second time this has been done.

eg2505

Honorary Master
cool,

I take it the censors liked the show as well.

grok

Honorary Master
I love it how humanity has learned from their mistakes..

At least with this landing we now have the tools to edit in fake dust.

Ryansr

Expert Member
I've actually joined the live stream before it landed and was pronounced as being alive upon landing on the surface by the NASA team in that podium sort of space they were monitoring it from. It was mostly showing what seemed like an animation that was prepared for the livestream that was played at each checkpoint reached by the actual Perseverance.

animal531

Expert Member
I've actually joined the live stream before it landed and was pronounced as being alive upon landing on the surface by the NASA team in that podium sort of space they were monitoring it from. It was mostly showing what seemed like an animation that was prepared for the livestream that was played at each checkpoint reached by the actual Perseverance.

Yeah, the reason for that is that most of the rover is shut down for the landing. So it only began sending back footage after it started up properly.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
The Mars rovers have a number of different communication antennae. Some are designed for direct contact with earth (very low bandwidth), others contact larger and more powerful orbiters, which then relay the signals to earth (higher bandwith). See:

noxibox

Honorary Master
I love it how humanity has learned from their mistakes..

At least with this landing we now have the tools to edit in fake dust.
Conspiracy Processing Units have come a long way since the fake moon landing.

dualmeister

Honorary Master

Nasa successfully flies small helicopter on Mars​

The American space agency has successfully flown a small helicopter on Mars.

The drone, called Ingenuity, was airborne for less than a minute, but Nasa is celebrating what represents the first powered, controlled flight by an aircraft on another world.

Confirmation came via a satellite at Mars which relayed the chopper's data back to Earth.

The space agency is promising more adventurous flights in the day's ahead.

Ingenuity will be commanded to fly higher and further as engineers seek to test the limits of the technology.

Source