Five things you need to know about the new National Health Insurance Bill

jambai

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2007
Messages
924
I see they say this will all be ready by 2026.

Yet they can't even cope with switching from analogue to digital transmission in the same amount of time.

They haven't even started building houses in District Six that were promised in 2004 !

We will all be dead before NHI even starts laying foundations.
Our only hope . Also imf will not allow it so we will be bankrupt before nhi will be implemented
 

Swa

Honorary Master
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
24,220
I'm really hoping they can make this work.

Having to pay R 6k a month for something you may or may not need is a ball ache. I would much rather pay a quarter of that and have the same type of cover if/when I need it. But we already know how this is going to pan out...
Keep dreaming. It will be based on your tax bracket so not only will you be paying more it will be for inferior healthcare. Doctors will be gone and private healthcare won't exist.

I think that having access to hundreds of billions of rand will be a strong incentive for them to implement it.
Implement it yes but nothing workable will come of it. So no need to worry as it's just another way to steal more money.
 

RonSwanson

Expert Member
Joined
May 21, 2018
Messages
2,379
I see they say this will all be ready by 2026.

Yet they can't even cope with switching from analogue to digital transmission in the same amount of time.

They haven't even started building houses in District Six that were promised in 2004 !

We will all be dead before NHI even starts laying foundations.
We should compile a list of achievements, some of the howlers to add to yours:
The supermarket plastic bag tax;
The Estina Dairy farm thieves;
The VBS Bank looters;
Here is how they build a library with 20 million from the Lotto, cool huh?
 

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
8,137

I think this spells out clearly what they want to do. They plan on taking all current money paid to private medical aid as well as the normal budgeted health portion of the fiscus and combining it to fund the NHI.

So private medical aid won't exist. Strange that they think that people will still contribute to this ballsup at the same rate that they contributed to private medical aids. That pot of money will no longer exist and the only way to get it would be through additional taxes.
 

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2009
Messages
7,774

I think this spells out clearly what they want to do. They plan on taking all current money paid to private medical aid as well as the normal budgeted health portion of the fiscus and combining it to fund the NHI.

So private medical aid won't exist. Strange that they think that people will still contribute to this ballsup at the same rate that they contributed to private medical aids. That pot of money will no longer exist and the only way to get it would be through additional taxes.
I want to say what taxes? Because all the taxes aren't even enough to fix eskom nevermind more elephants
 

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
8,137
I want to say what taxes? Because all the taxes aren't even enough to fix eskom nevermind more elephants
It's pretty ridiculous really. I don't think anyone with a brain thinks that NHI will work, especially if the normal private medical aid is cut out completely.

They won't get a cent out of me unless they take if off my salary. Though I do work for a subsidiary of one of those private medical aids so I won't have a salary to be taxed anyway... Jokes on them.
 

lumeer

Expert Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2018
Messages
1,517
They won't get a cent out of me unless they take if off my salary.
I think that's exactly what they're planning on doing: taking it off your salary. More tax to fund a corruption hole under a minister of health who doesn't know exactly how it'll all work but thinks there's been too much analysis done already and we should "jump" into implementation.
 

Corelli

Expert Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
1,102
Why not make it for citizens only? I believe 4 million refugees get free full access too even though they dont need to contribute. I wouldnt mind paying for other south africans. But or all the foreigner non perm residents? No thanks
 

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Joined
Oct 1, 2005
Messages
51,495
They are going to take money from pensioners monthly grants of R1 780 ?
Maybe you will realise there are other pensioners than just state pensioners, and will thus in the future use the words "state pensioners" when referring to those.
 

DreamKing

Honorary Master
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
10,000
I think that's exactly what they're planning on doing: taking it off your salary. More tax to fund a corruption hole under a minister of health who doesn't know exactly how it'll all work but thinks there's been too much analysis done already and we should "jump" into implementation.
those idiots believe the NHI is going to work even that won't work on paper .....


RIP medical aid and private health care.
 

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Joined
Mar 22, 2010
Messages
16,733
According to official stats there only 16.2 Million people currently employed in South Africa. So this basically would mean that 28% of people will have to subsidize the remaining 72% .

That's not even subtracting the people who earn minimum wage and fall into the tax exempt bracket.
 

ponder

Honorary Master
Joined
Jan 22, 2005
Messages
82,044
According to official stats there only 16.2 Million people currently employed in South Africa. So this basically would mean that 28% of people will have to subsidize the remaining 72% .

That's not even subtracting the people who earn minimum wage and fall into the tax exempt bracket.
Only about 13% pay income tax, 3% pay 80% of all income tax.
 

daveza

Honorary Master
Joined
Apr 5, 2004
Messages
40,432
Our people can’t be denied access to medical care just because they don’t have medical aid
They aren't being denied medical care - they are being denied clean, professional, efficient medical care because you lot are too useless at doing anything properly.
 
Top