Fixed broadband the future and voice calls to go free: Telkom

Yotch

Expert Member
Availability of VDSL services remains limited to a few areas in South Africa, but this is expected to change in the coming years as Telkom has said that the MSAN project is on track and roll-outs continue as planned.
Why not inform your customers about when VDSL will be available in their area?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
very, very valid query!
Its one that gets me as well.

I may not currently be able to afford 20meg VDSL, but that could change in the not too distant future.. and I would like to know when my area is planned on being provisioned.

siraman

Expert Member
Then get rid of the voice line requirement for ADSL madam cause clearly as you stated some of us would rather do the talking on our mobile phones.Package a competitive NAKED ADSL product and watch customers streaming in.

Some believe that fixed line is an outdated technology and yet it is the technology of the future and acts as the foundation for most telecoms services,” Altman said.
And fully agree with you....FTTX?? as in roll it out now and please please update you current and future customers about roll out plans.

Otherwise you guys talk a good game but can you deliver?

atomcrusher

Expert Member
From the article:
“This is rolling out rapidly to Telkom’s top 600 exchanges, covering 90% of its customer base,” Altman said. “Our customers can now check the potential speeds they can access in their areas on our website.”
We have been able to do that for a while now haven't we? At least for the past year or more?

Bern

Expert Member
So why did you bother investing so much money in Telkom Mobile? You could have rolled out a lot of fibre and MSANs with that money by now. I won't dwell on earlier investment mistakes....

But seriously, put money in to fibre and MSANs and stop trying to compete in markets that you have no strength in!

MickZA

Executive Member
We have been able to do that for a while now haven't we? At least for the past year or more?
Not with any degree of accuracy:

ADSL-checker.jpg

... I'm actually on 8Mbps but only due to Charl from TelkomZA's intervention, was on 6Mbps for ages (thanks Charl).

lexis

With declining fixed lines I doubt the statement.

fixed broadband = 4mbps or less (most of the time) + installation costs + ADSL line rental + voice line rental.
Mobile internet = superior speed, no extras.

krycor

Honorary Master
Problem is they need to deliver better products + converged solutions to stay relevant.. but hey its 2014 now. Let see.. we still have voice rental shoved down throats instead of prepaid, still have to bundle it with data, still haven't seen a proper converged solution from them even though heita is now part of Telkom group and rebranded.. hrm.. and the extra products are still not being pushed.. i mean video-on-demand has been 'investigated' and stuff since 2005 as a product? 8-9 yrs ago :eek:

I'd like to see true convergence wherein maybe getting a cellphone contract comes bundled with fixed line and calls are auto routed according to location or number rings are little to no extra cost etc hell it doesnt even have to be their landline number.. cell numbers are so prolific we could just route those pending your location as a lcr and still make enough to not charge users extra for the service. :-/

Petec

Expert Member
Telkom, how about this.

You offer a 300k line for R99 per month. No cap no shaping no nothing. Included is the voice line at no extra charge, but you do pay for voice calls longer than 10 minutes.
You will sign up half the country in a very short time.

Musicmp3

Product will fail unless their customers know about it. Presently the areas cutover are poorly advertised.

Need to be more proactive.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
So why did you bother investing so much money in Telkom Mobile? You could have rolled out a lot of fibre and MSANs with that money by now. I won't dwell on earlier investment mistakes....

But seriously, put money in to fibre and MSANs and stop trying to compete in markets that you have no strength in!
without mobile Telkom has no future, it is only the existing MNOs - particularly the dominant two - who would benefit from there having

how intelligently Telkom threw money at the mobile problem is a significantly more complex question the Telkom guys can correct me on this but there has been an absolute failure to get wireless based substitution in areas where fixed line is not viable and the fact that I can't pop into a Telkom Direct Store and ask for an extra line on my account and have for a pittance of an administrative cost a mobile line that bills entirely with my landline is a missed opportunity of note. I'd argue (and McD's input would be valued here) that TG has spent too much money on the marketing and trying to chase building a customer base for TM and far to little on getting convergence and take over (appropriate technology substitution) right.

the real ****up isn't with Telkom Mobile it is with the little Nigeria debacle and the whole September era. Current Telkom is paying off that ****up fortunately with I think with only 1 exception in senior group management the persons responsible are not at the company anymore.

Bern

Expert Member
without mobile Telkom has no future, it is only the existing MNOs - particularly the dominant two - who would benefit from there having

how intelligently Telkom threw money at the mobile problem is a significantly more complex question the Telkom guys can correct me on this but there has been an absolute failure to get wireless based substitution in areas where fixed line is not viable and the fact that I can't pop into a Telkom Direct Store and ask for an extra line on my account and have for a pittance of an administrative cost a mobile line that bills entirely with my landline is a missed opportunity of note. I'd argue (and McD's input would be valued here) that TG has spent too much money on the marketing and trying to chase building a customer base for TM and far to little on getting convergence and take over (appropriate technology substitution) right.

the real ****up isn't with Telkom Mobile it is with the little Nigeria debacle and the whole September era. Current Telkom is paying off that ****up fortunately with I think with only 1 exception in senior group management the persons responsible are not at the company anymore.

You're kidding right?

Telkom already had wireless services, they didn't need to try compete in the cellular market. If you have noticed the cellular market is on a heavy downward trend in terms of profits and the market is saturated. Telkom are in the fight very late with limited resources, they could have been clever and focussed the money they have in to physical infrastructure and leveraged off that doing what I suggested in the forums years ago with what MWEB is doing wit Fon now.

The problem they have is they are still focussed on the old call revenue system, they should be looking at data and trying to focus the network build and roll out for this. What they could have done is push to be allowed to do a sort of LLU where they can be a MVNO, but can get the data off the mobile operator network and on to their own right at the tower or close to it. This would have allowed them to invest in the fibre infrastructure for backhaul making all the mobile operators not find it viable to put in their own infrastructure, but rather rent capacity from Telkom, but still be able to give customers the ability to roam without the heavy investment costs needed to be a full mobile operator. Think of the deal they could have done with Cell C for example - it would then make sense to install fibre to many towers that currently don't make sense and Cell C could focus on getring more towers up and more, better and newer radio kit.

Right now they are losing over R2 billion a year on mobile, have made no inroads in to market share and are staring heavy at declining profits in the mobile call space. Due to not investing in the fixed line space properly they are seeing a decline of customers here as well, not because people don't want fixed line, but because the focus is shifting to data and without the investment the cost benefit struggles to compete with mobile for under say 20GB per month.

OMB

Mountain Man
With declining fixed lines I doubt the statement.

fixed broadband = 4mbps or less (most of the time) + installation costs + ADSL line rental + voice line rental.
Mobile internet = erratic performance, superior speed or crappy speed depending where you are, no extras except a modem, mifi or handheld device? cost per GB.
FTFY