Fixed-LTE and Netflix vs DStv Premium – Price showdown

Joseph matane

Why not use Rain Mobile unlimited data as example ? Or Rain Mobile network don't meet Netflix streaming requirements ?

IRVING

I'm currently using Netflix with the R250 Rain uncapped. The Netflix TV app on my Android box allows me to download whatever I want for offline viewing so I'm still able to watch when there is no internet during the peak times. A huge saving for me and still super convenient.

Dan C

Honorary Master
I'm currently using Netflix with the R250 Rain uncapped. The Netflix TV app on my Android box allows me to download whatever I want for offline viewing so I'm still able to watch when there is no internet during the peak times. A huge saving for me and still super convenient.
I do this on weekends.

Sumen

Expert Member
As mentioned above, a mixture of Rain Mobile uncapped + one of the Fixed LTE caps Should have been included.

Swa

Honorary Master
The issue as always isn't price but content. Dstv knows this so they won't compete with Netflix. 100GB is also not really enough for Netflix. If all you're gonna use it for is Netflix you might as well stay with Dstv.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'm not sure how that's even the least bit convenient especially when you're limited to only those shows that Netflix allows you to download.
I do this on weekends.
Do you source much content from other places?
As mentioned above, a mixture of Rain Mobile uncapped + one of the Fixed LTE caps Should have been included.
So you need to switch services at 6pm and then back again at midnight?

Venomous

Honorary Master
Why not use Rain Mobile unlimited data as example ? Or Rain Mobile network don't meet Netflix streaming requirements ?
It works on RAIN.
Depepending on speed it might/might not run HD, but even at a lower res in low signal areas(around 5meg internet speed) netflix is still watchable.

Gothan

Expert Member
The issue as always isn't price but content. Dstv knows this so they won't compete with Netflix. 100GB is also not really enough for Netflix. If all you're gonna use it for is Netflix you might as well stay with Dstv.
No, the reason you move away from dstv is the insane amount of repeats. The only benefit dstv has over Netflix and other streaming services is sports, and I’m sorry I am not paying close to a 1000 just for that

Sumen

Expert Member
So you need to switch services at 6pm and then back again at midnight?
Yes.

You have multiple options to make it work:

1. Get 2 routers and 2 smart plugs to schedule the routers to turn off and on at certain times.

2. Use spare phones or LTE enabled tablets - most Android devices automatically switch over to mobile data once they lose WiFi connection.

Using an automation app like Macrodroid you can tell the devices to switch off/on WiFi and to also switch on/off hotspot at a certain time.

I use option 2.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Yes.

1. Get 2 routers and 2 smart plugs to schedule the routers to turn off and on at certain times.

2. Use spare phones or LTE enabled tablets - most Android devices automatically switch over to mobile data once they lose WiFi connection.

Using an automation app like Macrodroid you can tell the devices to switch off/on WiFi and to also switch on/off hotspot at a certain time.

I use option 2.
I don't see option 2 working in a family environment.

Actually I don't see either working in a family environment due to cost.

Sumen

Expert Member
I don't see option 2 working in a family environment.

Actually I don't see either working in a family environment due to cost.
I agree on the cost, I was lucky since I had a spare phone and the tablet.

It does work in my family - in fact they don't even realize that the networks have changed unless they look at the ssid.

The other option is manually switch the sims - 6pm one is easy but the issue is to wake up at 11pm to switch it again.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I agree on the cost, I was lucky since I had a spare phone and the tablet.

It does work in my family - in fact they don't even realize that the networks have changed unless they look at the ssid.

The other option is manually switch the sims - 6pm one is easy but the issue is to wake up at 11pm to switch it again.
By cost I mean data rather than hardware. If Netflix uses 3gb per hour for Full HD then a 100gb bundle is going to be depleted rather quickly in a family environment. Guess it just makes me glad I have uncapped VDSL even if I can't get fibre.

uchoose

Exactly what I do

Kosmik

Honorary Master
:D:D:D:D

Odracir

Expert Member
No, the reason you move away from dstv is the insane amount of repeats. The only benefit dstv has over Netflix and other streaming services is sports, and I’m sorry I am not paying close to a 1000 just for that
This ^ and the fact that with the DSTV premium package you can't go online and do everything else besides just what DSTV is giving you.

ripclaw

Yes.

I use option 2.
Or get a router that allows scheduling between 2 WAN's.

Swa

Honorary Master
You can't compare like that because Netflix is on demand. The repeats aren't the issue but rather how they show them. They aren't really an issue if you have a PVR. Sports isn't the only attraction and you don't necessarily need a premium subscription so it's not R1000.

Simply put Netflix isn't an option for everyone so Dstv will always have the advantage there and with 100GB you won't get far. If you switch it isn't for Netflix as you need to use your connection for something else to make it worthwhile so you need to compare with uncapped. It's more about people that already have uncapped otherwise you miss the point and might as well stay with Dstv.

Yes.

I use option 2.
Most routers have battery and I don't know about others but the E5577 requires it to work so smart plugs won't work.