Fixed-LTE and Netflix vs DStv Premium – Price showdown

randburgred

Fixed-LTE and Netflix vs DStv Premium – Price showdown

MyBroadband recently showed that uncapped 10Mbps fibre and a Netflix subscription is now cheaper than a DStv Premium subscription.

The fibre and Netflix combo came in at R838, while DStv Premium with the Access fee is priced at R899 per month.
I do not think that this is fair The cost assumption remains based on having no internet at all and as replies have been given a lot of people already have the internet - so your cost comparison is not that useful You might want to add a few rands to bring up speed on a landline and to change to uncapped Also why the fascination with Netflix If I did not have fibre and no land line I woud go with Cell C and Black which gives you some sport and channels and i believe your usage of black streaming is free but I am lucky I pay $3.00 per month for Amazon Prime and have a setup with Roku which costs R450.00 per month with all the USA premium channels ABC Showtime Fox CBS All Access NBC so I am sorted and i used to run this on a 10 mbps land line until our complex got fibre

Wasp_21

Expert Member
Still don't know why we are flogging this dead horse. People have left Mulitchoice. Not just based on price, but personal choice.

kianm

Honorary Master
Yes.

You have multiple options to make it work:

1. Get 2 routers and 2 smart plugs to schedule the routers to turn off and on at certain times.

2. Use spare phones or LTE enabled tablets - most Android devices automatically switch over to mobile data once they lose WiFi connection.

Using an automation app like Macrodroid you can tell the devices to switch off/on WiFi and to also switch on/off hotspot at a certain time.

I use option 2.
I use option 3: Unifi equipment and 2 LTE routers, fully automated system
1 . Clients connect to Unifi AP
2. Unifi AP connects to USG LAN port
3. USG has 2 WAN ports, WAN1 has RAIN, WAN2 has Telkom. Load-balanced in fail-over mode

11pm to 6pm USG routes via RAIN wan. 6pm to 11pm USG routes via Telkom. USG automatically handles fail-over and fail back between the 2 connections

Edit:there are other routers that can automate the switch as well