Fixing Windows XP Service Pack 3 Problems...

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://techbytes.wuz-up.com/

Windows XP Service Pack 3
(could the flaws in Windows XP SP3 be a push to Vista?
Not since Windows NT Service pack 2 do I remember so many problems with a Service Pack from Microsoft. So the question is: Are these intentional, or just another failure of quality control on the part of Microsoft? I got to admit, that I have become pretty complacent with Microsoft's Service Packs. They have been pretty reliable since the Service Pack 2 that was released for Windows NT 4. That was a pretty bad one, and they had to quickly release service pack 3 to fix all the problems. Now I think it would be a stretch to say that the Borg (MS) would intentionally break the XP machines to try to push people to Vista which I think is the biggest blob since Windows ME. I had Vista on my work PC because I have to try to stay ahead of the curve, but at home I was no way going to go away from XP. I mean when I go home I sure don't want the problems Vista could produce and was waiting with great anxiousness for another service pack for XP which would allow me to stretch the use of XP farther into the future. By doing this I would ride out the Vista Blast and see if Microsoft would come up with something better. So when problems started arising with XP SP3 I thought, "how convenient?" I got to say that I applied SP3 to my home PC, my laptop, and another 2 computers at work and did not see some of the more horrendous problems experienced by others, but after learning that it could produce problems across a very dissimilar install base in our company, I told my assistant not to approve it in the Windows Update Server. I also put the Vista Service Pack 1 on my work computer, and that seem to have helped a bit, especially on performance, so, with a better Vista because of SP 1 and a worse XP because SP 3, the conspiracy theorist in me starts wondering - nah, I am just imagining things!

anyway.... you will find all the fixes listed in that article. :)

Peder

Hobbit
yeah you have to totally redo the security system to be able to use fax tools, its totally DUM!!!

werner

Expert Member
i've got two i can relate to...
if you have an existing installation of xp sp2 and install sp3, it overwrites the windows\system32\oobe folder with its own default values.

and...if you go out of audit (sysprep) mode and into end-user mode the pre-selected background has defaulted back to original...both are highly irritating.

killat

Um, correct me if im wrong but isnt a service pack supposed to add new features and fix problems, not create them?

kronoSX

Honorary Master
never really had a problem with xp sp3 and vista sp1,I think that the worst is uninstalling it

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
never really had a problem with xp sp3 and vista sp1,I think that the worst is uninstalling it

me neither... I have installed XP SP3 on countless machines with no hassles.

but I guess we are the lucky ones.

When I do a new installation... I start off with a XP DSP (SP2) disc.

Then apply the last updater from XP AutoPatcher (August 2007 I think)

Then Service Pack 3. I know there is slight duplication of effort there, but I like all the little extras and tweaks that AutoPatcher gives me.

I haven't got around to slip-streaming SP3 yet... don't know if I want to. Might just download one.

kronoSX

Honorary Master
Slip streaming takes a while.You know its easy with nlite:D

Asha'man X

Expert Member
Only issues I have had so far with SP3 has been a few cases where the DOS windows that opens after the install, says that the parameters are incorrect, and goes into an endless loop. Apart from that, I've installed it on about 50 computers at work by now, and so far, no real issues.