Flight mode to be allowed on more South African airlines

McT

The Humble Scot!
Although I am pleased to see this and will make use of the opportunity, I do worry about how it is going to be enforced. While most will be cautious enough to make sure flight mode is enabled, will the ignoramus and idiots among us not endanger the rest of us?

milomak

Honorary Master
Although I am pleased to see this and will make use of the opportunity, I do worry about how it is going to be enforced. While most will be cautious enough to make sure flight mode is enabled, will the ignoramus and idiots among us not endanger the rest of us?
my phone sometimes switches itself on during flights as i shift in my seat. and i suspect there are people who don't switch off their phones.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
If mobile phones caused planes to crash, we would've seen many downed planes by now. I frequently forget to switch my iPad off, for example.

But, the law is the law and it's a good thing that Flight-mode will be now allowed. In any case, by next year you'll be able to use WiFi legally on board (at least on Mango), so what's the difference?

McT

The Humble Scot!
@jannie, thanks for that perspective.

It's all good news. Baby steps. Progression. Grateful all the same.

abzo

Honorary Master
It's about time they build better planes.

Skitter

There has never been one documented case in history of a cellphone causing enough interference for a plane to crash.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Some domestic flights in the US already allow for full unrestricted use of cellphones at all times during flight. They do not interfere with the plane in any way.

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
It's been said before and I'll say it again. If airlines saw wireless as a significant threat they wouldn't risk having phones powered up on board.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Some domestic flights in the US already allow for full unrestricted use of cellphones at all times during flight. They do not interfere with the plane in any way.
Was exchanging e-mails with the CEO of speedtest.net the other day. Turns out he was on a cross-country flight at the time. Asked him to do a speedtest.net test and he got about 200Kb/s :)

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Was exchanging e-mails with the CEO of speedtest.net the other day. Turns out he was on a cross-country flight at the time. Asked him to do a speedtest.net test and he got about 200Kb/s :)
On his Mobile? In the Air? :D

hawker

Honorary Master
If cellphones/laptops/ipads interfered with the navigation of the of the aircraft/caused them to crash etc we would've seen hundreds of thousands of lost and crashed aeroplanes.

About damn time they start to get rid of these ridiculous rules.

zizo911

Executive Member
I agree, but I'l still be paranoid and take out my phone battery while in a plane... just to be safe :p

CrazYmonkeY159

Expert Member
Yay now I can watch series inflight! :D

These days, it can't be justified that cellphones can cause severe noise/interference between radio-comms and other electronics in the plane. engineers have basically solved this problem for the most part

tiandup

If a cellphone can interfere with the avionics of an aircraft so can cellphone towers. Y YOU NO CRASH? :confused:

vusiboy

Two of my recent flights on 1Time have also allowed testing....so i assume all the airlines are doing testing right now.

David Maartens

Amazing that this took twenty years. In an industry based on science, where no evidence that cellphones interfere with flight even without "flight mode", it is shocking that we were treated like little school children.