Flood of complaints over slow FNB mobile banking app

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist

FNB customers have reported sluggish performance and various other issues following the latest update to the bank's Android app.

The bank launched a redesigned interface in early May and since this time many users have claimed they were experiencing slow in-app performance and navigation bugs, calling the update "annoying" and "irritating".

phly

Expert Member
I agree with all of the issues raised even though on my end all is well. Just that the former variant was way better. This one seems like a heavy skin was added to android vanilla. No need to try reinvent the wheel when the new variant does not even make the car move.

Drone 42

It is very slow now. They should just role back to the old version. The old version worked fine and had all the functionality that I needed.
this version doesn't add anything new for me.

system32

Executive Member
Use the FNB Banking app this morning to transfer/pay from Current to Credit card.
Worked instantly which is a pity as I really did not want to pay... :) :) :)

Anakha56

It also does not work with Android 11 Beta but then I am an outlier running the beta...

j4ck455

Executive Member
FNB Head of Digital Banking Giuseppe Virgillito said the bank can confirm all services on its banking app remain available to customers.

“Customers are welcome to contact the bank directly should they experience any isolated difficulties,” Virgillito stated.
What a load of shite response is that to legitimate complaints?

“It hangs, lags, cuts out, is jerky and ‘pale’,” another said.
Pale, what means that, is it a racist app or what?

sgs

Slow as molasses since the update. Feels like my 1 year old phone became 5 years old overnight. And it is on every. Single. Click. Even before logging on - just startup is laggy already. You can see the screen refreshing over a few seconds as it is drawing everything.

A dev must have left the debug flag on when they shipped - or they are grabbing lots of remote logs and storing them to a server in North Korea...

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master

FNB customers have reported sluggish performance and various other issues following the latest update to the bank's Android app.

The bank launched a redesigned interface in early May and since this time many users have claimed they were experiencing slow in-app performance and navigation bugs, calling the update "annoying" and "irritating".
FNB is having their end of the month drama :thumbsup:
5th or 4th month now in a row :thumbsup::thumbsup:

eg2505

Honorary Master
It also does not work with Android 11 Beta but then I am an outlier running the beta...

hopefully its designed for the later versions of Android or Rooted phones
sure its not even optimized yet.

Anakha56

hopefully its designed for the later versions of Android or Rooted phones
sure its not even optimized yet.

I am no developer so I can't say but by the look of it when Android 11 officially launches it will be a problem. From the log output it complains about a "Bad JNI version returned from JNI_Onload". I have alerted them to it but no response and on the Play Store a generic contact our call center response... <_<

nan0s0ldier

Good to know It's not only my Sammy A51's fault xD poor phone gets all the blame

eg2505

Honorary Master
I am no developer so I can't say but by the look of it when Android 11 officially launches it will be a problem. From the log output it complains about a "Bad JNI version returned from JNI_Onload". I have alerted them to it but no response and on the Play Store a generic contact our call center response... <_<

thats what worries me , FNB isnt taking the android scene seriously enough to answer queries related to bugs in the software,
especially with rooted phones and latest versions of android.

one wonders what they will do with people complaining about Huawei mobile services that FNB app wont work with.

Dups!

Expert Member
This Giuseppe Virgillito guy sounds like a peach, he just wouldn't acknowledge the issue. He should be a politician.

The app has been bad since the last three updates. It has truly become a pain to use

mr_norris

Expert Member

It was slow before the "redesign" - every action requires a wait. And for some reason, they require GPS on for the whole time the app is running. Boggles my mind.

H1TMANlol

From March I've been complaining. Glad I'm not the only one . I've hardly ever done an app review but I gave them 1 star . Bloody app keeps saying unable to connect and times out ever few Min you must wait every few steps just to do a simple thing FFS

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
One of my accounts in the app went awol....
It took some moaning on social media to get FNB to finally respond. :(

The good news, it found its way back on its own - must be a smart account :)

RudderVator

Expert Member
Yeah not sure how they can be the best digital bank when their website and app are so bloated.
They havent been for the last 3 years thats why :ROFL: They have become a “me too bank” with little to no chance of talking to a human.