Florauna, Pretoria North - Fibre Signups Please Help.

Quattro!

Sorry guys at the moment nothing whatsoever. Ive tried the BitCo wireless route but although there is coverage one the map
the highsite is on Wonderboom side of the mountain so it does not help much... If anyone knows of anything else in the are please post
but dont worry wont give up im still searching and waiting for DFA to come back to me

Hi Guys

You are right Gatekeeper we cannot afford to give up. I have been hard on this one during my free time.
I even sent emails to DFA but when I did't get any response to my email I called them.
I ended up speaking to one of their Sales Rep and she explained in length the role of DFA and that of it's subsidiary Conduct.
Her advice was to approach the ISPs who are offering FTTH.
Looking at the strategies used by some of the ISPs it seems like where our area is not on their expansion plans.

I have been on the radar of a company called 123Net Fiber: https://123net.co.za/en/front/areas/plans , since last year when I saw an article about them on mybroadband.
So far am convinced their FTTH interest sign-up process is transparent (see progress of other areas: https://123net.co.za/en/front/areas/expansionplans ).

My suggestion is that lets get the community register their FTTH interest with them, I think they can come to our rescue.

See below email correspondence with 123Net Fiber:

[My 1st email]

Hi

I have sent a request to the board of trustees to conduct a survey among residents in our complex to find out if they will be interested in signing-up for FTTH if it was made available.

The complex consist of simplex and duplex buildings (Group housing). Currently there is no existing underground ducting inside the complex for connecting fiber to apartments.
The question is does the Once-off Connection Fee include the underground ducting to each apartments? Our complex is within a kilometer of live Dark Fiber Africa network in Pretoria North; Theresapark.

Please also provide information which might seem obvious such as the required number of residents that must sign-up, Once-off connection fee if any and the duration it will take for the implementation of the fiber network.

Thank you

[123Net Fiber Response]

Good day,

Thanks for your email.
We are currently not operating in Pretoria.
But if there is enough interest we consider each area for itself.
Our construction fee includes all.
We are building an independent fibre optic network.
The only reason we might use DFA is to backhaul our link to our servers in Teraco.
In general, depending on the area, we require at least 300-350 signups.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at any time!

Kind regards,

The 123NET fibre Team.

https://123net.co.za

[Follow up email from me]

Hi 123Net Fibre Team

Thanks for your response.
Just for clarity on the minimum number of signups required; does the figure only be from a particular residential complex or it encompasses the whole neighbourhood / suburb ?

[123Net Fiber Response]

Hello,

Thanks for your email.
The signups are required from an area/suburb.
In order for us to be viable, we have to gather enough interest.

Kind regards,
The 123NET fibre Team.
https://123net.co.za

Quattro!

Ah thanks, was thinking of doing it, just didn't had the time. I'm in Dorandia ext8.

We need to decide on the ISP so that people can start sending their request. What do you think about 123Net Fiber?

DWPTA

Expert Member
Well they do have value for money. I don't really care who installs the fibre.

I'm more than happy to get 123net involved.

Gatekeeper

Hey Quattro. although I have still yet to meet someone on 123. I have signed up for the Gigabit 100 a while back. Agreed with DWPTA I really don't have issues with who the installers are but will be better if they have open access. Also remember guys there is dark fiber in the north, knowing lightspeed is on their fibre there is a good chance of them installing if we have the volume of users in the area. Don't like their tactics but if they are willing to install I will gladly jump ship to them. I have seen their service and it's quite good, pricing/quality thanks for the input guys hopefully we can get the volume of users to get us some fibre..

Last edited:

Gatekeeper

Same response...

Good Day,

Apologies for the delay in response,

I have checked on the location provided and although the location falls into the general fibre coverage area, it is not currently set up as an active FTTH precinct.

We can however make the FTTH service available to your location and to the tenants in the area provided we can obtain a combined customer uptake of R45 900 per month with the following options available below:
*Month to Month Contract (R1500 Installation fee, once off payment)
*12 Month Contract (Free Installation)
*These contracts are only available to fibrehoods, apartment blocks or high density residential complexes.
24 Month Contract (Applicable to free standing homes)
If you feel as though you can rally this kind of commitment from your neighbors, we can by all means, start a process which will take 90 days turnaround time for installation to the central distribution point with a further 5-7 day turnaround time for reticulation throughout the complex.

This is a combined amount meaning there can be any amount of customers taking any speed package accumulating to the required amount. Attached is the brochure outlining various packages on offer for your perusal.

Should you have any additional questions please feel free to contact us.

Regards LightSpeed

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Ok, so for their R45 900 per month, if split that up per subscription, working with an average (midrange) package, how many customers are we looking at?

Gatekeeper

As long as it is a combined R45 900 between the users they will have no problem installing I'm thinking around 22-30 households for example depending on the package you have selected. Otherwise if you are a single person willing to pay R45 900 I'm sure they will jump for joy aswell.

Also note for free standing homes a 24 month contract is applicable. Which I don't mind if they provide the service we are paying for.

Also look at it this way it's about R1500 - r1800 pm for a 10mb line with decent isp if you are able to get a stable 10mb. so looking at it for 50mb fibre the offer is not bad.

In my area it will be possible if we can get signups from general beyers down via berg laan through to graffenhiem street to the spar this is highly possible and should the provide coverage for that area. As for others running near Rachel de beer this could be a bit problematic.

Last edited:

Gatekeeper

We need to decide on the ISP so that people can start sending their request. What do you think about 123Net Fiber?

Correct will go some research this evening on some isp's and post we should all decide on 1 even though I've signed up on nearly every 1 to greater the chances.

Would be great to somehow organise a town meeting or something like that to educate / convince other residents to signups we should try that Pretoria Noord Facebook page but I think it's no ads allowed.. lemme se if they are willing to let us maybe posy for betterment of the community.

Quattro!

Correct will go some research this evening on some isp's and post we should all decide on 1 even though I've signed up on nearly every 1 to greater the chances.

Would be great to somehow organise a town meeting or something like that to educate / convince other residents to signups we should try that Pretoria Noord Facebook page but I think it's no ads allowed.. lemme se if they are willing to let us maybe posy for betterment of the community.

Hi

Any luck on spreading the word on the Pretoria Noord Facebook page?

PAIN OF X

I Would also like fibre in Florauna

Hey Quattro!

So far the Lightspeed guys are willing to cooperate / help if we can get signups in the area.
So yes the initiative is still going I will keep the forum posted with any updates, but for time being you can sign up on their website to
show interest as there is dark fibre running down Rachael De Beer ..
I live just up the road from Nina park spar and have showed interest with 123NET I took the gigabyte 10

PAIN OF X

I think we can go with 123NET Fiber they are affordable what do u think and yes why could we not meet each other and brainstorm ideas to get the community involved in this venture

PAIN OF X

I Would also like fibre in Florauna

Hi

Could we setup a meeting in Florauna of the residents who have shown interest in the fibre and brainstorm ideas to get the rest of the community to show their interest in the fibre venture or would this be to difficult1

Quattro!

I sent out a short survey in my complex Red Ivory only I received 10 responses so far and only 5 want fibre.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2D72XLV

Gatekeeper u mentioned that you have about 40 people interested. I think that is a great number to get us in the expansion list on 123Net Fibre. Get them to sign up.

Quattro!

Have signed up

Great. I take we all agree on 123Net Fibre. I will send a request to 123Net to group all sign-ups coming from (Theresapark, Ninapark, Florauna, Dorandia, Wolmer, Heatherview, Heatherdale ,Tileba)into one interest / expansion area. Did I miss any area?

Quattro!

I'm in Dorandia X10, quite close the the Rachel de Beer primary school, but this is a bit out of the area you are lobbying for?
Also, speaking of schools, have you considered trying to onboard schools in the area?

Hi Sykomantis, from the many articles I read on FTTH ; success is seen when the whole neighborhood is involved and support the initiative.

Please do signup here: https://123net.co.za/en/front/forms/home/

If you know anyone @ the school next you , it will help our initiative if the school can buy into the idea. Then you can give out the flyers to the kids to take home (hopefully the school won't mind).