Florauna, Pretoria North - Fibre Signups Please Help.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Yesterday they started doing something in our street as well, but seems they'll be going around the block before they get to our part of the street (T-junction just up the road from us). Going by you guys' estimates I'm guessing 4 more months if I'm lucky.

Khathum

The way Openserve is so cheap, some SPs are starting to apply a 1TB FUP is you subscribe to them and your FNO is Openserve.

MonkeysUncle

Expert Member
Anyone using MFN or Openserve fibre yet? How is it so far?
I have been on Openserve for about a month now. There was a small glitch a few days after it was activated, but has been smooth sailing since then. The biggest improvement, for me working from home, has been the upload speed. I usually do some speed tests and most of the time it has been between 185 & 200 Mbps (using LAN connection).
Cannot complain at all. It really helps when a new 45GB game can be downloaded in about 40 minutes :D

What is weird, it that I see more trenches being dug in Suider Street, on the oppsite side of where Metrofibre and Openserve was digging. Is this someone new?

Hook

I have been on Openserve for about a month now. There was a small glitch a few days after it was activated, but has been smooth sailing since then. The biggest improvement, for me working from home, has been the upload speed. I usually do some speed tests and most of the time it has been between 185 & 200 Mbps (using LAN connection).
Cannot complain at all. It really helps when a new 45GB game can be downloaded in about 40 minutes :D

What is weird, it that I see more trenches being dug in Suider Street, on the oppsite side of where Metrofibre and Openserve was digging. Is this someone new?
Could be new water/drain pipes.

Hook

I took a drive below President Steyn street this afternoon. Most of the area from Jan van Riebeeck west to Wolmer is dug up. Mostly down to below Pagel. Many places was already closed up again and they are reinstating stuff. They where busy installing boundary boxes in Wonderboom Street. Many places in Wolmer you can see they digging stopped months ago and many places you can see the boundary boxes installed. It seems as if they started digging below Pres steyn in December from the west and worked their way east. Then stopped in December and started again in Feb but this time working from Jan van Riebeeck to the west.

Hook

Saw the guys blowing/floating fibre this morning for Metro Fibre in General Beyers street between Gerrit Maritz and General de Wet, working down.
Guys on the corner blowing and lots of other guys down the street receiving the fibre at the boundary boxes. Here and there you see the white cables coming from the Termination points inside houses coming out of the boundary boxes. Wonder if they connect them up at the same time.

werfie

Expert Member
They finally started digging in front of my house this morning!!! Yay.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
What's with this post I saw on FB, regarding Afritel installing the termination points for Metrofibre?
Reason I'm asking, is I have an open order with MFN to install the termination point, not Afritel?.

Basically, goes like this (post link):
Dear Residents
Afritel fibre project update in your area:

Amandasig - Civil project completed and currently busy with internal QA and handover process to Metrofibre to activate the area.

Winternest 70% completed on civils. Approval for one bridge crossing N4 outstanding.

Dorandia Civils 80% completed with current stock import delay

Hesteapark Civil Project Started
The Orchards Phase 2 awaiting confirmation of starting date for civils

Tilaba awaiting confirmation of starting date for civils

Theresapark Civils 90% completed Fibre and splicing work to start shortly

Important to know:
If you are experiencing any issues with reinstatements of paving or damages to irrigation systems etc. - we would want to assist you through our Resident Issue journey. This is a formal process with Afritel and you will receive a reference number. Log all resident issues at support@afritelafrica.co.za. We would want to track your resident issue and ensure that same gets resolved to your satisfaction. If you only report your concerns to the site team this might not be the case.

Secondly we would want to encourage you to get your home fibre ready at no cost and no obligation. This offer is only valid during the project phase before your area goes live.
Benefits:
- Save up to R2000 for your home installation even if you do not want fibre services immediately.
- If your home is fibre ready there is a positive influence on your property value
- Fast activation in future with no delays with installations and hidden cost with Internet Service Providers
Order now by providing us with the following information at cloadmin@afritelafrica.co.za:
Full names
Address
Cell Number
Email address
Our technical team will make an appointment to install your Termination Point.
Please be patient when expecting this call - due to high volumes it might take a bit of time before we get around to your installation but this will be done before area is live.

Hook

Afritel is a contractor for Metrofibre. I also placed my order for the TP with Metrofibre. They sent a contractor, PHP Installations, to do the actual TP install. So I reckon MF can probably also send Afritel to do TP installs.

werfie

Expert Member
Anyone heard of/had FTTH Telecoms and Construction doing their TP installation?

Hook

Anyone heard of/had FTTH Telecoms and Construction doing their TP installation?
I have heard the name before. There is an earlier post with a photo of a FTTH bakkie doing a TP install.

Last edited:

Off-The-Chart

Expert Member
oo oo, 2 streets from ours

and yet I still have no idea how to go about the whole ordering process

I really don't want to go with separate places for the termination and the actual connection, but would going with 2 places make it easier to do an ISP switch if we aren't happy?

I will most likely go with either Afrihost or Mweb (been with both for years so will want to try them first), but if I want to switch later on, is there even a way to make that easier?

(saw somewhere that you pay installation again? )

Snow11

oo oo, 2 streets from ours

and yet I still have no idea how to go about the whole ordering process

I really don't want to go with separate places for the termination and the actual connection, but would going with 2 places make it easier to do an ISP switch if we aren't happy?

I will most likely go with either Afrihost or Mweb (been with both for years so will want to try them first), but if I want to switch later on, is there even a way to make that easier?

(saw somewhere that you pay installation again? )
@AfriNatic can help with this.