Florauna, Pretoria North - Fibre Signups Please Help.

ENIAC

On MFN regardless of your ISP you'll have to wait till the end of a month before you're able switch to another ISP. Openserve you can just switch whenever you'd like.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
oo oo, 2 streets from ours

and yet I still have no idea how to go about the whole ordering process

I really don't want to go with separate places for the termination and the actual connection, but would going with 2 places make it easier to do an ISP switch if we aren't happy?

I will most likely go with either Afrihost or Mweb (been with both for years so will want to try them first), but if I want to switch later on, is there even a way to make that easier?

(saw somewhere that you pay installation again? )

MFN works differently when it comes to terminations.

If you cancel with your current ISP. They load the cancellation and the line stay with them for 30 days after the cancellation. The New ISP needs to place a repair order. This will prompt MFN to send an early release request to the old ISP. If approved the service gets activated on the new ISP. If declined you would need to wait for the 30 days to lapse before the address is available for ordering on the portal.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
MFN works differently when it comes to terminations.

If you cancel with your current ISP. They load the cancellation and the line stay with them for 30 days after the cancellation. The New ISP needs to place a repair order. This will prompt MFN to send an early release request to the old ISP. If approved the service gets activated on the new ISP. If declined you would need to wait for the 30 days to lapse before the address is available for ordering on the portal.
I'm not sure I understand that but it sounds retarded (not you, the way they handle the lines).

That also means you can't have two ISPs on one line, as you could back with DSL?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I'm not sure I understand that but it sounds retarded (not you, the way they handle the lines).

That also means you can't have two ISPs on one line, as you could back with DSL?

No unfortunately not. Only Openserve allows that.

With MetroFibre and other operators they configure the ISP vlans and you are locked to that until the service is cancelled and another ISP submits an order and then the ONT will be provisioned for the new ISP.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Can't believe I'm saying this but at this points it sounds like I'd rather want Openserve than MFN.

Snow11

we all do because Openserve is also cheaper I think and has higher speeds from the ISPs if not mistaken?
Openserve top package from what I've seen is 200/100. They are a lot cheaper than MFN. Our area is live on MFN but we are waiting for Openserve.

Hook

So two things happened this week.

1) I got this email from Metrofibre:

Dear Valued Customer,
MetroFibre is delighted to advise you that a contractor has been assigned to complete your installation as per the details below:

Customer Name: XXXXXX XXXX

Physical Address: XXX XXXXXX,Pretoria North Free Standing Houses,Pretoria North

Kindly note that MetroFibre's turnaround time for the installation is:

10 - 15 business days for all Termination Point installations.
Once the installation has been completed successfully, our Network Operations Centre (NOC) will activate the service accordingly.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Care Department.

Kindly include the following in all communication:

Ticket reference number
Order number
Customer details
Physical address
We look forward to providing you with reliable fibre services.

Kind regards,
MetroFibre

2) The second thing to happen is that Pretoria North went live on Metrofibre's coverage map. Does not yet show live on Axxess's coverage map, which is the ISP I preodered from.

Regarding the email. I've order my TP from Metrofibre directly and a contractor came to install it almost 2 months ago. It still needs to be connected up inside the boundary box, cable is marked with my address inside the boundary box. So I reckon they will come and finish up the job and make sure the fibre is live on my end. We spoke to Metrofibre contracters doing the quality checks (they are doing the rounds in the streets) on Monday, and they also say the network is live. My ISP, Axxess, says as soon as the network goes live they will send me an email to confirm my preorder and give the go ahead. So I reckon the ONT will only be installed after the ISP triggers the commissioning. I guess Axxess will then courier me a router, which I probably won't use. Mikrotik all the way :)

I see they are still installing boundary boxes in the ground below President Steyn street.

So, it looks like things are moving along.

werfie

Expert Member
So two things happened this week.

1) I got this email from Metrofibre:

Dear Valued Customer,
MetroFibre is delighted to advise you that a contractor has been assigned to complete your installation as per the details below:

Customer Name: XXXXXX XXXX

Physical Address: XXX XXXXXX,Pretoria North Free Standing Houses,Pretoria North

Kindly note that MetroFibre's turnaround time for the installation is:

10 - 15 business days for all Termination Point installations.
Once the installation has been completed successfully, our Network Operations Centre (NOC) will activate the service accordingly.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Care Department.

Kindly include the following in all communication:

Ticket reference number
Order number
Customer details
Physical address
We look forward to providing you with reliable fibre services.

Kind regards,
MetroFibre

2) The second thing to happen is that Pretoria North went live on Metrofibre's coverage map. Does not yet show live on Axxess's coverage map, which is the ISP I preodered from.

Regarding the email. I've order my TP from Metrofibre directly and a contractor came to install it almost 2 months ago. It still needs to be connected up inside the boundary box, cable is marked with my address inside the boundary box. So I reckon they will come and finish up the job and make sure the fibre is live on my end. We spoke to Metrofibre contracters doing the quality checks (they are doing the rounds in the streets) on Monday, and they also say the network is live. My ISP, Axxess, says as soon as the network goes live they will send me an email to confirm my preorder and give the go ahead. So I reckon the ONT will only be installed after the ISP triggers the commissioning. I guess Axxess will then courier me a router, which I probably won't use. Mikrotik all the way :)

I see they are still installing boundary boxes in the ground below President Steyn street.

So, it looks like things are moving along.
Awesome stuff.

Yup, I live under Pres Steyn, they have started closing the trenches and busy with the boundary boxes. So I am holding my thumbs.

MonkeysUncle

Expert Member
Got the same message, but I already emailed and Whatsapped them, saying i am already on Openserve. But this is very good news for everyone

Off-The-Chart

Expert Member
see some trenching getting close and have labels on saying it's Metrofibre at work :(

but oooof, want to see what is going to happen with few spots because there are some nice pavement grass sections that is going to get destroyed :eek:

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Just saw an sms with a promo offer from WebAfrica for our suburb (pre-order on MFN). Seriously considering this over Mind The Speed.

The long and short of it:
1617794464924.png

Off-The-Chart

Expert Member
Just saw an sms with a promo offer from WebAfrica for our suburb (pre-order on MFN). Seriously considering this over Mind The Speed.

The long and short of it:
View attachment 1048363

when I saw they had the 200/200 I was also tempted, but the few friends I have :crying: that WERE with them, really didn't give best feedback

somehow they also seem like the last recommendation these days when you look around for fibre providers

Hook

Got an email from Axxess my ISP to confirm my pre-order for my Fibre line because it is now live. And so I did :) I'm above Pres steyn. I saw the Metroguys floating and splicing yesterday at the corner of Jan v Riebeeck and Pres Steyn and saw them today doing the same cnr of Ben Viljoen and Pres Steyn.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
When you guys say above or below Pres. Steyn street, are you referring to North or South? Because it confuses me.

Hook

Below means North, above means South. Following down from the Magalies. Closer to mountain is in theory higher. :)