Florauna, Pretoria North - Fibre Signups Please Help.

werfie

Expert Member
Your TP was installed on the 29th of April and Metrofibre came to complete on the 13th of May. Basically 2 weeks. I think network went live at roughly beginning of April.
My TP was installed on the 8th of Feb. ISP pre-order confirmed on the 9th of April and I'm still waiting almost 5 weeks later for Metrofibre to make my fibre live. And we live in the same area.
I've got @Captain Axxess looking into it for me. Holding thumbs.

They wanted to come earlier, but was away from home for more than a week.

The contractor said they should do it today. So not sure. Will have to wait and see.

werfie

Expert Member
They wanted to come earlier, but was away from home for more than a week.

The contractor said they should do it today. So not sure. Will have to wait and see.

So this didn't happen, don't know where they are or who to contact :confused:

werfie

Expert Member
Who was the contractor FTTH ?

Don't know which one was here yesterday. He was very quick, so didn't have a chance to ask.

There have been 3 different contractors so far, one for each stage of the process, not sure which one was here yesterday to check why it's not working... he just said he will let MF know, the techs are up and down in the streets, so they just have to connect at the main box/hole.

Thank you very much. He said the MF guys will make the line live yesterday, so just wanted to let him know it didn't happen, not sure if he has to let someone know again or something.

It's all very confusing with the huge mix of people and contractors involved, you never know where one's duties start and where the others' ends. So I just want to make sure whoever needs to know, knows that it didn't happen.

@AfriNatic, thank you for following up, it is much appreciated.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Don't know which one was here yesterday. He was very quick, so didn't have a chance to ask.

There have been 3 different contractors so far, one for each stage of the process, not sure which one was here yesterday to check why it's not working... he just said he will let MF know, the techs are up and down in the streets, so they just have to connect at the main box/hole.

Thank you very much. He said the MF guys will make the line live yesterday, so just wanted to let him know it didn't happen, not sure if he has to let someone know again or something.

It's all very confusing with the huge mix of people and contractors involved, you never know where one's duties start and where the others' ends. So I just want to make sure whoever needs to know, knows that it didn't happen.

@AfriNatic, thank you for following up, it is much appreciated.

Did they install the ONT at least?

werfie

Expert Member
No. It's a Nokia.

4971cfe99f12a6c7f832463c6b400aaf.jpg

Reactions: Yuu

Hook

I'm thinking of canceling my fibre order with my current ISP. Everyone has read my story above numerous times. I have been waiting for more than 5 weeks without any feedback. I've logged a ticket on their site. I even had a company representative telling me he will look into it. That was Thursday. And I tried following up. Still nothing. I will give them a one more day or two.

Come tomorrow or Wednesday, depending on how long I can keep calm, I'm cancelling it. Then they can come collect their router.
Then I will place an order with an ISP that cares about its customers. It is obvious on this thread who cares about their customers.

Off-The-Chart

Expert Member
started the main trenching down our road yesterday

thought it was already the other day but that was only doing the part going under the road

now the fun of them going under everyone's driveways

will probably miss them when they use that machine :(

werfie

Expert Member
started the main trenching down our road yesterday

thought it was already the other day but that was only doing the part going under the road

now the fun of them going under everyone's driveways

will probably miss them when they use that machine :(

They do it very quickly. But oi man... still a long grueling wait ahead. :(

plugger123

Spoke to what looked like the foreman of the trenching operation a couple of blocks from my house. Apparently our area will go live middle July. ( Dorandia/Tileeba ) The wait is a nasty business.. seems to take forever... ‍:sleep:o_O

werfie

Expert Member
there is only 1 pot of gold at the end of this waiting rainbow...

getting that 100/100 will be such a pleasure over this 10/1 ADSL :(
Yup, I have the 200/200 waiting for me.

I currently have Rain 5G so that ranges between anything from 1Kbps to 150Mpbs.

werfie

Expert Member
Spoke to what looked like the foreman of the trenching operation a couple of blocks from my house. Apparently our area will go live middle July. ( Dorandia/Tileeba ) The wait is a nasty business.. seems to take forever... ‍:sleep:o_O
The foreman for me said middle April. We are middle May and nothing yet.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But there are 100 different steps to this process all with different parties and contractors and it appears that no single party has a complete or accurate timeline of the whole process. Each party often refers to the part they are busy with.

To me, the process was as follows (at least how I experience/interpret it) - this is in chronological order:

Party 1 - Metro Fibre
June Last Year
1. Show interest with MF
2. Order TP with MF.

Party 2 - Contractor 1
Feb This Year
3. Start trenching in the area around us.
March this Year
4. Start digging the trenches and putting in boxes on my side to the other side of the road in my road.
5. Start digging the main trench on the other side of the road.
April This year
6. Connecting my side to the other main side (I assume making this little piece of network "live" in the sense that it is all connected).

Party 3 - Afrihost
May this year
7. FTTH order through them to MF with Ref No
8. Router gets delivered.

Party 4 - Contractor 2 (sent by MF as a result of Afrihost order, I guess)
9. Installing TP (from the box on my lawn to small white box inside house)

Party 5 - Contractor 3
10. Comes and install ONT device

Party 6 - Contractor 4 (Afrihost arranges installation (plugin of Router?))
11. Contractor says the street is not "live" yet, will inform MF guys to just do the splicing at the main box.

This is where I am at the moment... so everything is in, ready and connected, I am just waiting for the red light to go off :D