Florauna, Pretoria North - Fibre Signups Please Help.

Off-The-Chart

Expert Member
Yup, I have the 200/200 waiting for me.

I currently have Rain 5G so that ranges between anything from 1Kbps to 150Mpbs.

oooo that one will be what dreams are made of

or at least, wet ones :p

nah, although I would have loved it, we could actually have gotten away fine with 50/50, but with the MF price/speed changes coming, will be able to 100/100 also seeing as it costs about as much as we are paying now for our 10meg ADSL

not to mention the R700 we paying for Rain 5G as backup :(

werfie

Expert Member
oooo that one will be what dreams are made of

or at least, wet ones :p

nah, although I would have loved it, we could actually have gotten away fine with 50/50, but with the MF price/speed changes coming, will be able to 100/100 also seeing as it costs about as much as we are paying now for our 10meg ADSL

not to mention the R700 we paying for Rain 5G as backup :(
Yeah, it's an expensive exercise trying to just stay connected at the moment. :(

I have Rain Premium 5G @ R999pm <== My main internet connection
MTN @ R149pm <== My day to day contract.

Vodacom Backup Sim & Mifi device @ R600pm
Cell C Backup eSim @ R150pm
Telkom Backup Sim @ R60pm

And all of them are a hit and a miss in any way based on load-shedding, different times of day, etc etc.

Well, I signed up for the 100/100 package, but then Afrihost doubled with the MF upgrade and reduced the price. So I now have the 200/200 for less than what I signed up for for the 100/100. Woohoo.

MonkeysUncle

Expert Member
After reading the last few pages, I have to say I must have been very lucky. And I really feel for you, who must juggle all these packages to stay connected especially with a lot of people still working from home. Late last year when it dawned on us that we will only be live around July 2021, I just made peace and told myself I will see you all around August 2021. I pre-ordered everywhere just to make sure.

Then suddenly Openserve joined the party late in the year without notice, in my area. Seeing as it was aerial installation and using their copper line poles, it did not take them long to install the main fibre lines. And suddenly I had more options.

So, hang in there. We are in better position than most areas. The only good thing to say is that you know for a fact you are getting fibre this year. It is seriously worth the wait.

Hook

This morning Metrofibre came to install my ONT. Alarm light still on but the technician placed an repair order with Metrofibre to come and fix. The fibre wasn't pulled through from the boundary box across the street to the boundary box at my house. The main line runs on the other side of the road. So I'm very close to being connected ! Holding thumbs. Thanks a million to @AfriNatic for incredible service !

SykomantiS

Expert Member
This morning Metrofibre came to install my ONT. Alarm light still on but the technician placed an repair order with Metrofibre to come and fix. The fibre wasn't pulled through from the boundary box across the street to the boundary box at my house. The main line runs on the other side of the road. So I'm very close to being connected ! Holding thumbs. Thanks a million to @AfriNatic for incredible service !
Lucky. I also placed my order wirh Afrihost yesterday. Hoping for a speedy resolution as well.

werfie

Expert Member
@AfriNatic, what does it mean when the Alarm light is now off and the PON light is blinking. It feels like a step in the right direction :D:D:D:D:D

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
@AfriNatic, what does it mean when the Alarm light is now off and the PON light is blinking. It feels like a step in the right direction :D:D:D:D:D

Let me give metro a call and see if I can get you activated.

There is unfortunately a reported outage in PTA North.

Hook

As I understand it. If the red stops flashing, there is signal. When the PON flashes it means you must still be activated. When PON is constantly on your are activated.

werfie

Expert Member
It's alive!!!

This message is posted with the compliments of my MF-Afrihost 100/100 Fibre connection. Hmmmmm :love: it still has that "new-internet" smell :p

Off-The-Chart

Expert Member
@Hook are you bringing the pitchfork or the torch to werfie's house?

:D

curious though? isn't that "smell" too slow? didn't you get the 200/200? :p

werfie

Expert Member
Thats awesome ! Now hopefully soon it will be my turn :)

I really hope so too. Its awesome. I have to say, my rain behaved itself the last month or so, but the latency difference is amazing.

@Hook are you bringing the pitchfork or the torch to werfie's house?

:D

curious though? isn't that "smell" too slow? didn't you get the 200/200? :p

Hahaha, as long as the pitchfork has WIFI you can come, I want to connect everything!!!

Well I think I am the one that's too slow.

I get 200 down 100 up, I think it has to do with the upcoming speed change because @AfriNatic also expected me to still be on 100/100 until the 1st of June.

Congrats @werfie :thumbsup::cool:

Now the fun begins
Yeah, well busy reconfiguring the whole network. I have two routers in two different parts and I got two new routers, one from Afrihost and I bought the same one for the secondary router too, so getting that set up, reconnecting all the devices and so on.

Off-The-Chart

Expert Member
so weird

reading that thread where they dug up driveway

here they shot a hole underneath using a compressor system and only dug a hole like every 5m or so

then also heard that in the East, they dug like only a small hole (apparently) where as here they trenched areas

how did they go about by you guys? could that have been for a different situation?

also, how do they do the boundary boxes since I only see solid conduit and no "joints" like where you would think they will install it

Snow11

Screenshot 2021-05-25 101801.png
Openserve is expanding quite quickly now. Two weeks ago Florauna was not even covered.

Hook

So on Tuesday the technician from Metrofibre arrived at my home to pull the fibre from my TP underneath the road, from the boundary box on my side to the one on the other side of the road. The cable was unfortunately too short to do that and the technician placed another repair order with Metrofibre to come and fix that. So this is where things stand. One day I will also have fibre :). Not sure why they didn't just blow the fibre right through from the other side of the road to my boundary box in the first place and install a proper slim box which holds the splices. Probably to save costs.

In total, including my 5 week time waste with Axxess, tomorrow it will be 7 weeks since I first ordered. When I moved to Afrihost things started happening and I got proper feedback.

To add to my frustration my ADSL connection is starting to act up. It used to work without issues for more than 10 years but now it must have heard that fibre is coming ;)

werfie

Expert Member
So on Tuesday the technician from Metrofibre arrived at my home to pull the fibre from my TP underneath the road, from the boundary box on my side to the one on the other side of the road. The cable was unfortunately too short to do that and the technician placed another repair order with Metrofibre to come and fix that. So this is where things stand. One day I will also have fibre :). Not sure why they didn't just blow the fibre right through from the other side of the road to my boundary box in the first place and install a proper slim box which holds the splices. Probably to save costs.

In total, including my 5 week time waste with Axxess, tomorrow it will be 7 weeks since I first ordered. When I moved to Afrihost things started happening and I got proper feedback.

To add to my frustration my ADSL connection is starting to act up. It used to work without issues for more than 10 years but now it must have heard that fibre is coming ;)
Just a while longer. It's worth the wait.

I am really enjoying mine. Speeds still seem to be slightly erratic with times (especially the upload) and had one outage of about 3 hours, but was quickly fixed and @AfriNatic was a huge help as usual.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member

Hi,

Still waiting for some feedback from Metro on the issue.

Once received I will let you know. Sorry for the delays.

werfie

Expert Member
Hi,

Still waiting for some feedback from Metro on the issue.

Once received I will let you know. Sorry for the delay

Oh, it came back on about 3 hours after our chat. I thought that was your magic, felt like some Afrihost magic hahahaha, but it seems sorted now, I am sure it has to do with the WIP in the area. Maybe it was when they tried to connect @Hook's connection :D:D