Florauna, Pretoria North - Fibre Signups Please Help.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Oh, it came back on about 3 hours after our chat. I thought that was your magic, felt like some Afrihost magic hahahaha, but it seems sorted now, I am sure it has to do with the WIP in the area. Maybe it was when they tried to connect @Hook's connection :D:D

Yes there was a brief outage in PTA North. Unfortunately we have been notified of another issue in PTA North this morning affecting certain links.

Hook

Yeaaa ! The guys came to connect my fibre to the main line on the other side. My Alarm light is off and the PON light is flashing ! Now it needs activation ! Thanks @AfriNatic !

Hook

Yeah guys, so my fibre is up and running. Thanks to @AfriNatic for his awesome support :thumbsup::thumbsup:! He helped me get everything up and running in no time.
I haven't had much time to play with it yet, had to go to a meeting last night. Had great plans to test the fibre link after the meeting but was ultimately too tired.
So tonight and the weekend there will be some serious testing and reconfiguration of my home network. :)

So @Off-The-Chart and @SykomantiS soon it will be your turn. Just hold on, it is worth it. :)

DWPTA

Expert Member
Yeah guys, so my fibre is up and running. Thanks to @AfriNatic for his awesome support :thumbsup::thumbsup:! He helped me get everything up and running in no time.
I haven't had much time to play with it yet, had to go to a meeting last night. Had great plans to test the fibre link after the meeting but was ultimately too tired.
So tonight and the weekend there will be some serious testing and reconfiguration of my home network. :)

So @Off-The-Chart and @SykomantiS soon it will be your turn. Just hold on, it is worth it. :)
Which area are you?

MonkeysUncle

Expert Member

Congrats @Hook . Enjoy the new internet :D

Off-The-Chart

Expert Member
Got a friend in Dorandia waiting for his fibre to get activated.

same

we will probably go with Mweb for ours, but think I will do my brother's with AH

he is in Pomona and has Frogfoot

just sad that I fear, the cancelling of his Telkom line, JUST MAY have them cancel both our lines which is going to be a nightmare since we need ours for work

once I know our area is live (from group), then I can put in the grueling task of cancelling with Telkom

hope I am here when they do the boundary boxes cause interested to see how that is done

so far it only looks like they have done the conduit but no fibre yet and have already closed all the holes

Khathum

Openserve is in the house.
ca2559a623b4225c3d4b46b95abb9bdb.jpg

Hook

Just out of curiosity. Any of you guys here in Pretoria North that has got Afrihost as an ISP via Metrofibre. Is your IPv6 stack running on your router and does it obtain an IP via DHCPv6 ? Mine doesn't.
I'm not talking about the normal DHCP for IPv4 that everyone uses. IPv6 is what the internet will move to in the coming years and Afrihost is busy enabling IPv6 for all their fibre customers. It is working already, just not mine. @AfriNatic is looking into it for me to figure out why mine is not working. I'm just wondering if it is maybe an area thing.

Roughly 33% of the Internet is IPv6 capable and it will increases as the old IPv4 IP address pool dries up. It is not critical for connectivity now as everything can still work with IPv4. But we are running the two versions in parallel and gradually everything will likely move to IPv6 over the next few years.

Last edited:

werfie

Expert Member
Just out of curiosity. Any of you guys here in Pretoria North that has got Afrihost as an ISP via Metrofibre. Is your IPv6 stack running on your router and does it obtain an IP via DHCPv6 ? Mine doesn't.
I'm not talking about the normal DHCP for IPv4 that everyone uses. IPv6 is what the internet will move to in the coming years and Afrihost is busy enabling IPv6 for all their fibre customers. It is working already, just not mine. @AfriNatic is looking into it for me to figure out why mine is not working. I'm just wondering if it is maybe an area thing.

Roughly 33% of the Internet is IPv6 capable and it will increases as the old IPv4 IP address pool dries up. It is not critical for connectivity now as everything can still work with IPv4. But we are running the two versions in parallel and gradually everything will likely move to IPv4 over the next few years.

Nope. I also don't get it. Only IPV4, Even though IPV6 is enabled on the router.

Hook

So now I wonder. As far as I understand every ISP has a different VLAN ID on Metrofibre's network. @AfriNatic must correct me if I'm wrong here.
Could it be that an ISP may have more than one VLAN ID on Metrofibre's network ? Pretoria North is a new area, maybe we and some other new areas are in a VLAN that does not have access yet to Afrihost's DHCPv6 server ?

Just guessing here. Not 100% sure how the GPON network works and how it breaks out into the ISPs networks.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
So now I wonder. As far as I understand every ISP has a different VLAN ID on Metrofibre's network. @AfriNatic must correct me if I'm wrong here.
Could it be that an ISP may have more than one VLAN ID on Metrofibre's network ? Pretoria North is a new area, maybe we and some other new areas are in a VLAN that does not have access yet to Afrihost's DHCPv6 server ?

Just guessing here. Not 100% sure how the GPON network works and how it breaks out into the ISPs networks.

Each ISP does have a different vlan but for Metro Fibre we have the same VLAN ID for Gauteng which essentially mean me in The Reeds on Metro has the same Gateway and VLAN as you in PTA North so I don't think it's a vlan issue.

Could be a provisioning issue with the Nokia ONT or OLT for PTA North they are using because I have a Calix ONT and OLT.

I have to loop my Noc manager into this issue as we need ti investigate with Metro Fibre Noc where the issue might be.

Hook

Each ISP does have a different vlan but for Metro Fibre we have the same VLAN ID for Gauteng which essentially mean me in The Reeds on Metro has the same Gateway and VLAN as you in PTA North so I don't think it's a vlan issue.

Could be a provisioning issue with the Nokia ONT or OLT for PTA North they are using because I have a Calix ONT and OLT.

I have to loop my Noc manager into this issue as we need ti investigate with Metro Fibre Noc where the issue might be.
Ok cool, interesting stuff. Let us know what you find out. :)