Florauna, Pretoria North - Fibre Signups Please Help.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Sooo.... Lovely Friday pressie.

Only issue I have now is I actually ordered a 100mbps line but got provisioned with a 200mbps :laugh:

I just want to say thank you to @AfriNatic for all of his help. He's been a great help in getting the MFN issues on my address resolved and moving things along. Thanks muchly! :)

Glad you are installed and sorted. The speeds are because of the reduced pricing and speed increases. ;)

Off-The-Chart

Expert Member
Sooo.... Lovely Friday pressie.
Only issue I have now is I actually ordered a 100mbps line but got provisioned with a 200mbps :laugh:

yeah no, that is a serious issue

they better get it sorted and put you back to 100mbps

can't have you running these higher speeds for same cost

SykomantiS

Expert Member
oh uh, ok

that smiley gave me wrong impression then :(

yeah no, that IS a serious issue then :D
I'm considering keeping it at 200...
I'm noticing though the speed isn't stable. Sometimes it drops below 100 (on a 200 line) but I don't know if the line was being used (netflix streaming) as we don't live alone. So if it was because the line was in use then I suppose it's to be expected, but if it's a line issue, then that might be problematic.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
If only it was for the same cost... I'm being billed for 200mbps. Not 100mbos

When you signed up the 100Mbps price was significantly higher than the 200Mbps.

I can downgrade you now to 100Mbps and correct the billing you want. :)

SykomantiS

Expert Member
When you signed up the 100Mbps price was significantly higher than the 200Mbps.

I can downgrade you now to 100Mbps and correct the billing you want. :)
You know what, no. But thank you, I appreciate it.

I think I'll keep it on 200 for now. If I do decide to drop it I can always go via the clientzone.

Off-The-Chart

Expert Member
so, how has all our fibre bois' lines been abused? I mean, running....

haven't seen any activity in our road anymore :(

what was weird was that we had guys from an EDGE Technologies come and do something in those small 'junction' type boxes placed every few meters and yet I am still not sure if there is even any cables that have been pulled through

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Mine hasn't been abused, I would think. The irony is I now have nothing I need to download, and my 'usual weekly' downloads are lower than normal due to err.... reasons.

On the positive, my sister (who has been living with us for the past 6 months) now streams youtube for her kid during the day while I'm working, and my parents are also using the internet, which previously would have been a complete no-no due to my tunnels and vpn not getting any throughput. Now, it's a complete non-issue.

Great Success! :thumbsup:

Hook

I won't call my use abuse either. My average on ADSL was around 160GB-200GB per month. Now for June, which was my first full month on fibre, it would be around 250GB. I guess it will go up in the next month or two to between 300GB-350GB per month.

Fibre is pretty stable. Here and there a short lived area hick-up, but for the last two weeks solid. Speeds are also pretty stable.

All my networking equipment runs on Ultralan MUPS mini DC UPSes. So internet works straight through loadshedding, full speed. Should be able to easily handle an 4 hour outage. Some parts in the house even longer.

All in all, a good experience.

werfie

Expert Member
so, how has all our fibre bois' lines been abused? I mean, running....

haven't seen any activity in our road anymore :(

what was weird was that we had guys from an EDGE Technologies come and do something in those small 'junction' type boxes placed every few meters and yet I am still not sure if there is even any cables that have been pulled through
Hang in there. It is worth the wait.

I have been away for a week. I haven't abused mine I think.

Everything just works beautifully. All the connections are running smoothly (one or two drops of about an hour each but that's ok, the area is WIP).

What has changed for me though is that I switched off my DSTV Decoder, I am just streaming now. I have used about 600gb for the month, just with streaming and other day to day stuff.

There is no comparison. I am a very happy camper.

MonkeysUncle

Expert Member
I only had one downtime in the last 5 months since getting fibre, and that was less than an hour. Everything is working perfectly (knocking on wood). The upload speed is probably the biggest difference for me working from home.

I also switched off DTSV in January. So, most of the entertainment has been streaming. And most of the streaming has been in 4K. So I have been abusing it quite a bit. Man, it is so nice to look at the games on PSN/Steam library and just download what you want to play in the next 10-15 minutes :D.

I used over 1,5TB last month, but that includes quite a bit of work related stuff.

@Off-The-Chart Just hold on a bit, as they are probably busy with the connections to fibre and equipment.

Off-The-Chart

Expert Member
yeah no, I am hanging in there (even though on a thread :p )

I am actually happy it isn't live here yet, because I fear the day I can download like crazy

then you will see me come and complain about not having enough storage for everything :(

:D

I would just love to get rid of the QoS on router

plugger123

I'm situated in Dorandia. They completed trenching in the beginning of July. Also completed the install of the point in the house. Now just waiting for them to turn on the area. I suppose the ETA on going live is unknown at this point? Maybe they need to complete the whole area first before going live?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I'm situated in Dorandia. They completed trenching in the beginning of July. Also completed the install of the point in the house. Now just waiting for them to turn on the area. I suppose the ETA on going live is unknown at this point? Maybe they need to complete the whole area first before going live?

There is parts of Dorandia Free Standing that is already live.

werfie

Expert Member
MUST.... HAVE..... FIBRE!!!!!

I feel your pain... The box outside and point in my house seem to be ready for action but still I'm waiting and wondering...

Been there, I know the struggle, just be patient. It's worth the wait!!!

It's actually a little anti-climactic. I don't really think about my internet anymore that much. It is just always there, always working, always fast. The way it should be.