Floyd Shivambu's brother looted VBS Mutual Bank - Full List

thechamp

Honorary Master
These investigations probably take up a lot of time, so it makes sense that when a journalist starts an investigation into a specific event/area, that they focus almost elusively on that for as long as there is still a story to tell.

As to why they only focus on Malema, he is probably the biggest name to come out of it yet. Zuma (if he had anything to do with it) is already assumed to be corrupt.
JM still pretends to be fighting against corruption, and being a man of the people.

But OK, here are some more:

Who are you hoping to read about that you haven't yet?

Edit:
What I am curious about, is why? Does JM really have that much power that it is worth people paying him that much for something? Or is it just them backing a rising star, hoping that if/when he becomes mayor/premier/president, he returns the favours?
There are 53 looters, random names, of people we know very little about, so far all the money trails leading to the EFF from these random names have been investigated thoroughly, who are all the other names linked to? I am hoping someone will take interest in all the looters and establish where the money goes, it certainly does not start and stop with the names mentioned.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
There are 53 looters, random names, of people we know very little about, so far all the money trails leading to the EFF from these random names have been investigated thoroughly, who are all the other names linked to? I am hoping someone will take interest in all the looters and establish where the money goes, it certainly does not start and stop with the names mentioned.
Is that really the job of a journalist though? Do we really need to know about Piet Poggenpoel whose friend at VBS promised him R10 000 one night at a braai?
Yes, he needs to be criminally prosecuted and it should be fully investigated, but don't journalist only really focus on stories that are in the public interest, and which will "sell papers"?

BBSA

Honorary Master
BS, you just want the attention diverted away from the names mentioned.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Is that really the job of a journalist though? Do we really need to know about Piet Poggenpoel whose friend at VBS promised him R10 000 one night at a braai?
Yes, he needs to be criminally prosecuted and it should be fully investigated, but don't journalist only really focus on stories that are in the public interest, and which will "sell papers"?
Let's look at how Malema came into the picture, Is it not journalists who wanted to know who is the owner of Mahuna Investments? Out came the name Matsobane Phaleng, after the journalists investigated Matsobane turned out to be Juju's cousin, is it their job to want to know who is who amongst the VBS looters, I say yes it is.

Why does it become awkward when I now want to know more about some other random name on the looters list? Why does it suddenly now not the job of the journalists? What if there is someone else's cousin in there?

Sure it's not Pauli or DM's chore but the media at large, it is well understood that Malema is a big name and would feature prominently but that list has a lot of names and big money, I don't see any good reason why so little is being said about all those names.

garp

Executive Member
So what? Obviously the media is going to focus on the most high profile known looter, it doesn't imply that the others won't be investigated ultimately. If CNN uncovered a massive fraud involving Donald Trump and 50 other guys nobody ever heard of, do you think the story would be about the 50 other guys?? What is your point exactly? How is this relevant?

3WA

Executive Member
How do you know what evidence Pauli has? We don't know for sure who leaked the bank statements to her that she relies on for the stories. It could be someone that is an enemy of the EFF, or it could be an ANC ally. It's easy to imagine that her source has an agenda, but that does not necessarily detract from the news-worthiness of the story.

She and her editor obviously made the call that they had enough evidence to defend legal action against Floyd Shivambu and Julius Malema. That looks like the correct call since no legal action has been forthcoming.

Perhaps they do not have similarly rigorous evidence against other parties.

Remember if they lose a case on these stories it could easily be the end of their careers.

thechamp

Honorary Master
So what? Obviously the media is going to focus on the most high profile known looter, it doesn't imply that the others won't be investigated ultimately. If CNN uncovered a massive fraud involving Donald Trump and 50 other guys nobody ever heard of, do you think the story would be about the 50 other guys?? What is your point exactly? How is this relevant?
There was no Julius Malema on that list, journalist investigated until the trail led to his cousin and ultimately to him. That is how we find ourselves here, we would not know about a credit card that followed Julius around if journalist did not investigate, journalists should do the same on all the other looters, I want to know about other credit cards that are following big names around the country.

CB40

Not just household names, they are people who based their entire political careers on the sham that they are looking out for the downtrodden. For MP's who show up to parliament in red "Gucci" boiler suits, the fact that they looted from some of the poorest people in the country is a massive story and it directly affects the dodgy narrative being pushed by a major political party.
FTFY :ROFL:

TysonRoux

Expert Member
How do you know what evidence Pauli has? We don't know for sure who leaked the bank statements to her that she relies on for the stories. It could be someone that is an enemy of the EFF, or it could be an ANC ally. It's easy to imagine that her source has an agenda, but that does not necessarily detract from the news-worthiness of the story.

She and her editor obviously made the call that they had enough evidence to defend legal action against Floyd Shivambu and Julius Malema. That looks like the correct call since no legal action has been forthcoming.

Perhaps they do not have similarly rigorous evidence against other parties.

Remember if they lose a case on these stories it could easily be the end of their careers.
Anyway, I'd expect law enforcement to investigate all the looters, ........ if a journo can do it, why can't they, its their jobs after-all.

3WA

Executive Member
Anyway, I'd expect law enforcement to investigate all the looters, ........ if a journo can do it, why can't they, its their jobs after-all.
Yeah, law enforcement can legitimately obtain bank statements and other evidence to do a comprehensive investigation and they certainly should. However, an investigative journalist is limited to what they can obtain from reputable sources - there's an element of luck to their work and they can't always choose what evidence comes their way.

garp

Executive Member
There was no Julius Malema on that list, journalist investigated until the trail led to his cousin and ultimately to him. That is how we find ourselves here, we would not know about a credit card that followed Julius around if journalist did not investigate, journalists should do the same on all the other looters, I want to know about other credit cards that are following big names around the country.
I’m sure we’re all interested in whoever else was involved, but I don’t see how that has any bearing on the newsworthiness or reporting on Malema’s alleged involvement.

PsyWulf

Executive Member
No
You do not in fact

Every post here has not been about interest in the entire piggybank robbery,merely why an upstanding innocent citizen that accidentally or incidentally happens to be implicated,is targeted by a thorough digthrough

So unfair

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Malema went bos on that account - R4 000 000. Looking at the spending trend he has got other slush funds as well.

Why the **** is this **** not locked up yet??

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
We know about him - the savior of the poor, the fighter for economic freedom.

You must feel like a real idiot voting for him.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
For too long now, the state of South Africa has been malfunctioning. It’s time for the choking apparatus to cough back into life. The truth is, South Africa doesn’t have much time left and it had better happen. Now.

Daily Maverick Scorpio journalist, Pauli van Wyk, has spent months obtaining, researching, cross-referencing and analysing the data, before delivering a devastating blow to Julius Malema’s self-propelled reputation of being disaffected youth’s selfless champion and defender. Apart from the many laws that were broken, Pauli van Wyk’s exposé has blown to smithereens the myth of a corruption-fighter and exposed a naked hypocrite who’s in it for power and money.