Fluorescent light bulb sales can be banned in South Africa if new regulations are adopted

MeestaR

Expert Member
I have had better luck with the cheapest store brand models from PnP and Spar. Only one failure out of about 30 in the last few years
It depends on the brand/manufacturer though. Most these days you get from Spar and such, they can last, just depends on the interval they are on/off, used inside or outside, etc.

I had one Spar lamp that cooked itself to death, it turned out the LEDS had failed, the other could not handle the current, began cooking, and burning the PCB. I know how some PCBs smell when they are burning. Not pleasant.

EDIT: attached photos

Attachments

• IMG_20200218_201320.jpg
    IMG_20200218_201320.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20200218_201340.jpg
    IMG_20200218_201340.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
7W LED does not equal 60W incandescent. Not a chance. 14W LED maybe.

Bring back incandescents. I'll gladly pay for the 60W/40W in my lounge and bedroom.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
7W LED does not equal 60W incandescent. Not a chance. 14W LED maybe.

Bring back incandescents. I'll gladly pay for the 60W/40W in my lounge and bedroom.

Why did/do you not go buy a bunch?

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I have had better luck with the cheapest store brand models from PnP and Spar. Only one failure out of about 30 in the last few years
I too also buy mine from PnP and Checkers and touch wood, not replaced a single one yet

G.A.S

Some of the garbage LED globes on the market today have shorther lifespans than the ancient incandescent globes.

I've already had a ton of Eurolux globes fail on me, and it looks like Game's "Simple Choice" globes have now been switched to the exact same crappy globes as Eurolux sells, prior to that they were excellent quality.

Ellies globes are okay, don't think I've had one fail on me yet. The Lumaglo ones sold by Shoprite and Checkers aren't too bad either.

The problem with LED globes is it only takes one of the diodes burning out to render the entire globe useless.

I still use Osram Eco Halogen globes on my light with a dimmer switch because dimmable LED globes are quite expensive still.
I've only bought Philips and Osram LEDs, but I still get more failures than I got on CFLs...

I'd love to try those "Dubai lamps" though.

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
These smaller led and replacement lights I bought were all rubbish(+ Ripp-Off). I opened a lot of them and reconstruct to see if same component failed, but they failed all over, just bad quality.

I found a larger LED light at Buildit that was made properly and lasts, if pick it up it feels good and solid, not one failure so far.

Last edited:

Arthur

Honorary Master
Good idea to move to more energy-efficient lighting. Bad, bad, bad to force it by law and taxes.

defcomk

I'd appreciate if they can rather put a minimum life on lamps.

I had many CFLs that were 8-10 years old when I replaced them with LEDs (and many of them were still in
working order when I replaced them
); yet many (brand name) LEDs don't even last 1 or 2 years: a far cry from their supposed 10,000 hour life.

And no, I cannot consider another option than LED: a LED's light is UV free so it does not discolor ABS plastics as fast as CFL or incandescent would have.

Swa

Honorary Master
Let me put it like this, two 60W incandescents did not equal one 100W. The 100W was more energy efficient and gave more light. By saying 2W LED equals 20W incandescent they incorrectly market a 6W LED as equal to 60W incandescent. It's more like 10-12W LED being equal to 12-14W CFL and a 14W CFL equal to 75W incandescent.

If LED was really so efficient as to justify the cost the market would have phased out CFL already. It seems disingenuous for the article to compare Halogen directly against LED when the comparison should be CFL against LED. Then it does not even get us to the point that it's illegal to dispose of electronics in the trash and LEDs contain heavy and toxic metals that are far worse than the bit of mercury in a CFL.

Captain Beer

Executive Member
Lol at everyone bitching about the lifespan of LEDs. It wasn't that long ago when replacing an incandescent was a weekly chore, there was always one that had blown somewhere around the house.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Plus the fact that many are overdriven to emit more lumens.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that.
All of them are, even those from Philips
And on the subject of Philips, they have designed a model that runs more efficiently exclusive for Dubai Princes and Sheiks and the rich as they are sick and tired of blown bulbs. The newer ones are not available to the public at all.

If a manufacturer sold a light bulb to the public that never needed replacement the manufacturer would soon be bankrupt.

Oldfut

Anyone got a good source and name brand to replace fluorescent tubes with LED's?

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

Lupus

Honorary Master
Save a few Watts because Eskom can't keep the lights on, like that's going to make a difference. We should rather be focusing on better and cheaper sources of energy. LED is also not that efficient. Fluorescent has a higher perceptible light output if you can get quality ones. For LED it's hard to find ones that can match pure daylight and the saving is often not realised by the higher initial cost.
You'd be surprised, back in the past the biggest expense in a house was lighting, this was of course when every light was incandescent and 60w to 100w. Then we got CCFLs and they dropped to 15 to 30w and the usage dropped. Now my most powerful light is a 10w spotlight that puts out more light then the 60w spot light it replaced. So now my house has gone from an estimated 1800w if all my lights were on, to 200w.
Not to mention that there are some parts of mercury in the making of CCFLs, there is also a lot more intricate design work to bend those tubes.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
You'd be surprised, back in the past the biggest expense in a house was lighting, this was of course when every light was incandescent and 60w to 100w. Then we got CCFLs and they dropped to 15 to 30w and the usage dropped. Now my most powerful light is a 10w spotlight that puts out more light then the 60w spot light it replaced. So now my house has gone from an estimated 1800w if all my lights were on, to 200w.
Not to mention that there are some parts of mercury in the making of CCFLs, there is also a lot more intricate design work to bend those tubes.

It was how I kept my house on the same money for electricity for almost a decade. Incandescent to CFL to LED. Now it keeps going up as that avenue of cost saving has been exhausted.

And LED floodlight uses much less power (say a 20w LED VS a 500w halogen) and CFL floodlights just didn't have the same brightness and throw and the CFLs bulbs plastic much more quickly became brittle in the sun.