Flying versus driving to Durban and Cape Town – The price winner is clear

Kelerei

Expert Member
Fark me... is that really what the tolls on the N3 cost these days? :oops:

Swa

Honorary Master
honestly flying makes a lot more sense, especially if you live closer to the airport here in JHB.

yes car rental/uber costs and so on, but again this depends on what your purpose is in Durban.
You're going to incur car rental/uber costs no matter what your purpose is. Even if you don't plan on getting out you still have to get to and from the office/place of business. Once you factor these in together with airline penalties and getting to the airport/hotel it easily gets you past R1000 for a one way trip.

Then there's the weird way maintenance is calculated without a time component. With most cars your service is indicated as every x km's or x number of years regardless of whether you drove much or not. Things like an oil change is more time based than usage based so just because there's a maintenance cost doesn't mean you wouldn't have incurred that cost anyway.

I'd say overall driving makes more sense as you're not restricted ito traveling once you get there. Unless you're an extremely light traveler you also have the benefit of not having to worry about ridiculous weight restrictions and taking expensive stuff as hand luggage.

Hoffie Hoffmann

Except its not cheaper to fly, even for 1 person.

The flight merely gets you to King Shaka or Cape Town International... now you have to factor in the car rental/uber to get you to and from wherever you are going...

You only need to be in a city for 2 or 3 days before driving actually becomes cheaper (even for a single person)
Agreed

falcon786

Honorary Master
What about the cost of fines on the way to Durban and before you say "keep to the speed limit" if you're not particularly familiar with the road it's happened to me several times all of a sudden on a clear stretch of road that was a 120km/h zone there's one of those infernal trucks of which there seems to be hundreds of these days on the road at all times blocking your view of a 100km/h or 80km/h sign and boom there's a camera waiting to catch you,even at the tolls they assume we need a kilometer to brake adequately from 120km/h so speed signs reduce quickly and then boom there's a camera!

But yeah rather watch for signs and camera's instead of watching the actual road for dangers like trucks swerving out at the last second in front of you while doing 60km/h to overtake his buddy doing 40km/h while you're approaching at 120km/h is the excuse some would give I bet! :D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Swa

phoneJunky

Executive Member
My trips to Cape Town always works out cheaper if I fly down. For a weekend I normally just rent a small car. Longer I rent a car and then just give it in when I reach my destination. But then again, I will normally have family or friends where I go.

Driving/flying to KZN works out 50/50 depending on where I want to be.

Corelli

Expert Member
Also road trip you can stop at other places and see. Flying you only see them from way up in the sky.

Road trip is way better an option. Especially for a family of 4.

I do find that Flysafair isnt so bad, actually good. And then uber all the way around there. Especially if not so many of you.

LOM

Honorary Master
Also road trip you can stop at other places and see. Flying you only see them from way up in the sky.

I do find that Flysafair isnt so bad, actually good. And then uber all the way around there. Especially if not so many of you.
Don't forget to factor in the chances of being taken out in an accident, especially at certain times of the year. Driving is a significant risk increase.

Swa

Honorary Master
Don't forget to factor in the chances of being taken out in an accident, especially at certain times of the year. Driving is a significant risk increase.
Yeah you never know when those birds will cause an accident in the air.

falcon786

Honorary Master

Is Uber price for a trip per person or for the car(in other words 4 people)?

killerbyte

Expert Member
Currently on holiday in CT, visiting my dad.
Was thinking of leaving my car at the Gautrain Station and taking the train from PTA to ORT. Total cost would have been R1k for train to and from the airport as well as 11 days of parking. So you need to factor in those costs when looking at flying.

Splinter

Honorary Master

Another old clone taking the piss.

Edit: semi-necro of a thread; doubt the OP has used Flysafair, and I think using Uber for more than one is more cost-effective.

Last edited:

Gozado

What a silly article! Like, you know, well, I dunno, I'm thinking of having a party. I could fetch take-aways for R7983, or hire the hall for R3800, ask Aunty Jemima to bake some cakes so she'll need ingredients costing R1624, and then 12 litres of milk, the wages for the waitrons and a floor-mop. So the take-aways are clearly cheaper, right?

Cage Rattler

Have flown numerous times between CPT and ORT over last few years for work. Since March last year, have driven up and down a few times and doubt if I will fly again soon. Have 3 personal friends in the last couple of months who died from covid after flying locally and it was directly linked to those flights. Also have direct knowledge of a group of holidaymakers from Gauteng who flew back from George who were positive but didn't care to tell anyone.