FMF: Cigarette ban in SA could last until 2021

greg0205

Honorary Master
The longer the ban goes on, the less it will be about the lockdown and the more it will become a ballot box issue.

Yeah, that's roughly 12M smokers, mostly voting age.

grok

Honorary Master
FFS are they really predicting that we're going to be in lockdown till 2021? This government is really lost the plot haven't they.
LOL shame on you for thinking they ever had it in the first place.

Here's an idea, I don't smoke anymore myself, but lets get a mybb smuggling operation going & get our own distribution going.
We have so many members specializing in legal imports, distribution, warehousing, websites, marketing & greasing politicians backsides (among others) we're bound to make a success of it.
I already know who on here I'd use as the tobacco mule to schlepp the stuff over the broken fences from Zim & Moz for example.

John Tempus

Expert Member
The longer the ban goes on, the less it will be about the lockdown and the more it will become a ballot box issue.

Yeah, that's roughly 12M smokers, mostly voting age.
The longer the lockdown remains and essential military lockdown the more unlikely we will have any voting in the near future so pleasing future voters doesnt matter.

You think they will not spin this "emergency" as a reason to suspend elections ? That is the first thing that will come up when the masses actually start to get pissed off.

My bet is on them already drawing up a reason they will start throwing into the media that there will be no future elections in this country until this "Scam" virus is no more.

GL with anyone planning long future in SA.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Assuming they had it in the first place.
I mean the rest of the world is starting to ease things, here in SA it's basically we're at level 4.8 now, we've allowed you to walk outside for 5 minutes at anytime between 5 and 8.

greg0205

Honorary Master
The longer the lockdown remains and essential military lockdown the more unlikely we will have any voting in the near future so pleasing future voters doesnt matter.

You think they will not spin this "emergency" as a reason to suspend elections ? That is the first thing that will come up when the masses actually start to get pissed off.
Yeah, no.

South Africans have a history of...

/checks notes

A struggle against authoritarian government denying folk the vote.