FNB Banking App password entry

Kilowatt

So the last update to the FNB banking app removed the capability of pasting the login password. After a few attempts and wondering what the heck I was doing wrong, I read the app reviews on Play and found the reason, seeing many comments by other users who made the same frustrating discovery. FNB's reason for removing this is 'security concerns'. Well not only have they reduced the usability level of the app, they are basically encouraging people to switch to easy-to-type passwords (read: LESS SECURE). Who are they trying to protect here?
I can't see myself using this app anymore, which is unfortunate as it is convenient, but it is NOT convenient manually typing in an impossible-to-remember 18-character mixed-case alphanumeric password which conforms to current security recommendations for passwords - instead of just pasting it from my password vault! Back to laptop banking for me.
Comments/opinions anyone?

Batista

Executive Member
You arnt going to win here, majority of people have easy to remember passwords.

Say you just login to your fnb app, and then left your phone on your desk, I could go into the app then just click paste(since you didnt wipe the last paste) and get access.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
So the last update to the FNB banking app removed the capability of pasting the login password. After a few attempts and wondering what the heck I was doing wrong, I read the app reviews on Play and found the reason, seeing many comments by other users who made the same frustrating discovery. FNB's reason for removing this is 'security concerns'. Well not only have they reduced the usability level of the app, they are basically encouraging people to switch to easy-to-type passwords (read: LESS SECURE). Who are they trying to protect here?
I can't see myself using this app anymore, which is unfortunate as it is convenient, but it is NOT convenient manually typing in an impossible-to-remember 18-character mixed-case alphanumeric password which conforms to current security recommendations for passwords - instead of just pasting it from my password vault! Back to laptop banking for me.
Comments/opinions anyone?
Vote with your wallet...

Kilowatt

You arnt going to win here, majority of people have easy to remember passwords.

Say you just login to your fnb app, and then left your phone on your desk, I could go into the app then just click paste(since you didnt wipe the last paste) and get access.
True, unless I use a password manager that clears the clipboard after a few seconds (which I do)

cpu.

Executive Member
E@sy2R3memberDoesntH@ve2bL3ssS3cure

Every E that's the second letter can be a 3. And A an @. To is 2, be is b. Etc

Qrox

Expert Member
Not yet, just mentioned it in the app review. There are plenty of comments about this so the app team must surely know about the responses.

I wouldn't bargain on it. If it bothers you, then raise it with the app team.
Otherwise you might spend months waiting thinking that someone it working on something to "fix" it, while in reality it isn't even on anyone's radar as a concern.

Kilowatt

I wouldn't bargain on it. If it bothers you, then raise it with the app team.
Otherwise you might spend months waiting thinking that someone it working on something to "fix" it, while in reality it isn't even on anyone's radar as a concern.
Fair comment - I have since contacted them about this.

Kilowatt

I just got an email from them. Kudos.
"Kindly note that for security purposes the app is not designed to allow for Auto fill/Copy and paste functions when
Prompted to enter in your login credentials. " Disappointing, that's probably going to stay.
On the flipside, they fixed an earlier beef of mine about having a button 'Login as another user' under the password field. More kudos.
You win some, you lose some......

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
E@sy2R3memberDoesntH@ve2bL3ssS3cure

Every E that's the second letter can be a 3. And A an @. To is 2, be is b. Etc

It's not only about remembering it, typing out something like that with an onscreen keyboard is a major pain in the butt regardless whether you can remember it or not. Also when you think you've made one mistake but you don't know because there is no way to see what you've typed in.

Glad my phone has a fingerprint reader though :D

cpu.

Executive Member
It's not only about remembering it, typing out something like that with an onscreen keyboard is a major pain in the butt regardless whether you can remember it or not. Also when you think you've made one mistake but you don't know because there is no way to see what you've typed in.

Glad my phone has a fingerprint reader though :D

That's true, I have a much shorter password.