FNB confirms deposit boxes stolen in Randburg heist

schumi

Honorary Master
JOHANNESBURG – The Hawks have confirmed to Eyewitness News that an unknown number of safety deposit boxes have been stolen during a heist at the First National Bank (FNB) branch in Randburg.

The robbery took place on Sunday, when an unknown group of men overpowered a security guard and held him hostage in the guard house.

The suspects then gained entry into the bank, by grinding their way through a wall, and made off with the safety deposit boxes.

The Hawks' Captain Ndivhuho Mulamu says that it is difficult to say at this stage how many safety deposit boxes were taken.

“The suspects went into the FNB bank and grinded the wall to gain entry, and the deposit boxes were taken.”

Customers, who were victims of the robbery, have expressed outrage at the poor communication from FNB on the issue.
More at: http://ewn.co.za/2016/12/21/fnb-confirms-deposit-boxes-stolen-in-parkmore-heist

Milano

Honorary Master
A woman says: “If I hadn’t phoned to make an appointment, I wouldn’t have known that my box had been stolen.”

A male customer added: “What is more irritating is the fact that this apparently happened between Saturday night and Sunday morning and we were only notified this (Wednesday) morning.”
FNB drops the ball again.

R13...

Honorary Master
Aren't safety deposit boxes kept in a vault? Can that be breached with a grinder? Then it'd be one lousy vault if it can be accessed that easily.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Aren't safety deposit boxes kept in a vault? Can that be breached with a grinder? Then it'd be one lousy vault if it can be accessed that easily.
What I thought, obviously a carefully worded statement from FNB which tells only a little percentage of the truth and must not at all compromise the bank's reputation. Most probably one of their own is involved.

XennoX

Expert Member
Can someone provide an answer to this hypothetical, yet quite plausible scenario:

If a person stored the title deed to their property or properties in one of those safety deposit boxes, that got stolen in this heist, how screwed are they?

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Can someone provide an answer to this hypothetical, yet quite plausible scenario:

If a person stored the title deed to their property or properties in one of those safety deposit boxes, that got stolen in this heist, how screwed are they?
Title deeds are filed with the deeds office so I imagine you can get copies fairly easily. The thief would need a lawyer to transfer the property into his name and due diligence should surely raise alarms that he didn't come by the deeds legally.

Then again, TIA.

jouda

Expert Member
WOW sounds like stuff from the movies... Wonder why FNB took so long to make the news known? Wonder if they were after something specific....

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
It reminds me of this case.

The terms and conditions of Absa’s safety deposit box contract state the bank is “not responsible for any theft, damage or destruction of any items, unless it is due to our own gross negligence or fraud. We do not ensure safe custody of articles deposited… “
The bank pretty much is saying to go screw yourself, even though you pay us to keep your item(s) we don't care if it gets lost or damaged.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Sjoe, how lousy for the box holders. It's the not the place you keep a spare cellphone battery, so the losses must be significant ... precious family hierlooms/jewellery, Kruger Rands, valuable near-cash scrip, irreplaceable docs, and so on ...

Milano

Honorary Master
WOW sounds like stuff from the movies... Wonder why FNB took so long to make the news known? Wonder if they were after something specific....
That and also claiming to have no knowledge of how many boxes were taken. Even now, three days after the fact. Something does not add up, or it is just regular FNB incompetence. Becoming more and more difficult to differentiate in SA.

jouda

Expert Member
That and also claiming to have no knowledge of how many boxes were taken. Even now, three days after the fact. Something does not add up, or it is just regular FNB incompetence. Becoming more and more difficult to differentiate in SA.
Agreed, it is not like a zit on the ass that will eventually go away if we ignore it...

Arthur

Honorary Master
I don't blame FNB for this. They're a victim, just like the box holders. There's a range of safety deposit box services with various degrees of security - and pricing. Most people can't afford boxes in super-secured steel-and-concrete vaults behind massive safe doors as in the movies ... they just want something better than storing it at home where the risks of fire and theft are higher...

Milano

Honorary Master
I don't blame FNB for this. They're a victim, just like the box holders. There's a range of safety deposit box services with various degrees of security - and pricing. Most people can't afford boxes in super-secured steel-and-concrete vaults behind massive safe doors as in the movies ... they just want something better than storing it at home where the risks of fire and theft are higher...
How was it better than home?

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
I still remember the Krugersdorp long weekend heist years ago and they never caught them.

FNB treat your customers fairly and be honest.