FNB confirms deposit boxes stolen in Randburg heist

naeem

Expert Member
Or open the safe with an OTP :D

Begone with your silly technology! :D these safety deposit box rooms at the FNB's, Nedbanks, etc are seriously old school. I kid you not, you literally feel like you're stepping back into the apartheid era. Right down to the afrikaner taanie signing you in, linoleum floors & brass finishing. :D

PhireSide

Executive Member
Begone with your silly technology! :D these safety deposit box rooms at the FNB's, Nedbanks, etc are seriously old school. I kid you not, you literally feel like you're stepping back into the apartheid era. Right down to the afrikaner taanie signing you in, linoleum floors & brass finishing. :D
I've been inside FNB, ABSA and SBSA's regional cash centres before and if they had that sort of security when it comes to their safety deposit boxes then they would not have the slightest issue with people breaking into them with grinders:whistling:

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Does FNB insure the boxes on your behalf? Or rather, if the contents in your box was stolen do they pay you a fixed amount?
And how do you prove this?

Milano

Honorary Master
BANKS NOT LIABLE FOR LOSS, SAYS BANKING OMBUDSMAN

How safe is your safety deposit box? | IOL
www.iol.co.za/personal.../how-safe-is-your-safety-deposit-box-1714604
Jul 6, 2014 - When you place valuables in a safety deposit box or vault locker at a ... says FNB no longer actively markets the bank's “deed box” service to ...

The above is a good read.Was a grinder really used?
A good read.

Does FNB insure the boxes on your behalf? Or rather, if the contents in your box was stolen do they pay you a fixed amount?
And how do you prove this?
BANKS NOT LIABLE FOR LOSS, SAYS BANKING OMBUDSMAN

Clive Pillay, the Ombudsman for Banking Services, says that even if a bank is broken into and your deposit box or locker is stolen, the bank is not contractually responsible for the loss. This is because the agreement signed with the bank generally states that the bank will not assume any responsibility, irrespective of whether it is negligent or not.

In a consumer information note, Pillay says that claims for losses of this nature are more appropriate for a court of law to determine whether the bank could have prevented the loss. His office is not aware of any court case where a bank has been successfully sued for the contents of a safety deposit box being stolen or lost.

Pillay says when renting a safety deposit box from the bank, it is “an intrinsic nature of the agreement signed” that the bank does not know what will be placed inside the box and does not assume any responsibility for the loss of any of its contents.

“If banks had to assume any responsibility, they would insist on an accurate record being kept of the contents, and confirming the contents, at all times. The banks would further restrict the value of the items kept in the box and would require valuation certificates. These requirements would obviously negate the purpose of a safety deposit box entirely.”

Pillay says this information note (dated January 2010) is intended to inform a potential complainant of how his office would approach disputes and claims of this nature. “Each case is, however, assessed on its own merits. If a case should arise where the evidence clearly shows that the bank could have prevented the loss, we would have no hesitation in making an appropriate recommendation. In our experience, however, these claims are more suited to a court.”

It's funny at work we have these blast proof walls that take over two days to drill through with a high powered drill (the type of drill thay uses water to keep cool). And at that rate you only get a hole big enough to fit two grown man fists through. Surely a bank can afford to ensure their walls are at least at that level.
Its a bank... profits first!

Anyone who has seen the pictures of the scene will just go :whistling: - I will reserve my opinion on this, but when the actual details break you will be surprised on what and how it happened. Complete negligence on the side of the bank and security company and every single protocol was not adhered to (i.e. no call-in from the security guard / no follow-up from the security company). By the looks of it they had plenty time and it seems that they opened many of the boxes. FNB has disclosed a lot less than what actually happened.

schumi

Honorary Master
FNB mum on compensation for safety boxes taken in heist

JOHANNESBURG – First National Bank (FNB) has declined to comment further on whether its Randburg branch customers who had their safety deposit boxes stolen during a heist will be compensated.

On Sunday a group of men held a security guard up at gunpoint and took him hostage before using a grinder to gain access to the bank.

Neither the bank nor the Hawks have been able to quantify just how many boxes were taken or provide a value of the goods taking during the robbery.

FNB has declined to comment on how long the security guard was held in order for the suspects to complete their mission.
More at: http://ewn.co.za/2016/12/23/fnb-mum-on-compensation-for-safety-boxes-taken-in-heist

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Yeah, guess I will stay with Capitec if this is FNBs level of incompetence (and that's just a comment the PR, I won't even comment on the actual crime)...

mark26

Anyone who has seen the pictures of the scene will just go :whistling: - I will reserve my opinion on this, but when the actual details break you will be surprised on what and how it happened. Complete negligence on the side of the bank and security company and every single protocol was not adhered to (i.e. no call-in from the security guard / no follow-up from the security company). By the looks of it they had plenty time and it seems that they opened many of the boxes. FNB has disclosed a lot less than what actually happened.
FNB made a statement on 702 this morning. Very defensive and said the security company did respond, but found nothing wrong on the outside. Why they didnt find it odd that their guard wasnt there is beyond me. Something smells here:erm:

Milano

Honorary Master
Not surprised to hear that at all, very FNB!

Slip

My mother in-law was one one the victims. FNB only notified her today. It's a tragic loss.

Slip

Here is the case number 470-12-2016 opened by FNB. You can call 0873453690 to find out where to send your affidavit if you lost a box.

daveza

Honorary Master
Btw, how much is an FNB deposit box?
http://www.timeslive.co.za/consumer...holders-after-robbers-make-off-with-millions1

“She was told she couldn’t enter the bank and that was it‚” said Frazer‚ who had 50 Kruger Rands worth about R900 000 in that box. But he only got official notification of the theft from FNB yesterday.

“I’ve only been renting that box since September - at R500 a month‚” he said.

Clive Pillay, the Ombudsman for Banking Services, says that even if a bank is broken into and your deposit box or locker is stolen, the bank is not contractually responsible for the loss. This is because the agreement signed with the bank generally states that the bank will not assume any responsibility, irrespective of whether it is negligent or not.
Why would anyone keep anything of value with a bank if they have no duty of care ?

Robbers used an angle grinder, and nobody heard anything ?

How about alarms, motion sensors ?

I'm sure a half decent lawyer will make a case that gross negligence trumps whatever clause the banks use for protection.

And if anybody by now still keeps anything in an FNB safety deposit box then they deserve to lose it.