FNB confirms deposit boxes stolen in Randburg heist

AirWolf

Honorary Master
FNB client (no safety deposit box)

This is absolute BS from FNB (and any bank) offering these sub-standard safety deposit box service.

Daruk

Honorary Master
FNB client (no safety deposit box)

This is absolute BS from FNB (and any bank) offering these sub-standard safety deposit box service.
Not to mention conveniently moving the boxes from Fourways to Randburg branch without notifying clients.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Not to mention conveniently moving the boxes from Fourways to Randburg branch without notifying clients.
They of course claim they notified all customers of the move (as companies are want to do, I have had instances where companies say "despite our previous attempt" and such, which had never occurred), carrier pigeons I assume, difficult to say how many fell prey to cats and birds of prey...

Daruk

Honorary Master
Like the post offices "second notice" when you've not received a first.

schumi

Honorary Master
250 FNB heist deposit boxes recovered... but they’re mostly empty

Johannesburg - A total of 250 deposit boxes stolen during a bank heist at FNB have been discovered discarded in a veld near the FNB Stadium in the south of Johannesburg, the Hawks said on Thursday.

"A few documents were found inside some of the boxes. There were no valuables found,” Hawks Captain Ndivhuwo Mulamu told New24.

"All of the boxes had been forced open."

She said the boxes were recovered on Tuesday after investigators received a tip-off.

Asked whether there were indications the heist had been an inside job, Mulamu replied: "We cannot overlook the matter, but we can also not confirm."

Mulamu said that the investigation remained at a sensitive stage and that no arrests had yet been made, but that members of the public were still being urged to come forward with any information that could assist.

Fin24 previously reported that the heist had taken place on a Sunday evening, on December 18, at FNB’s Randburg Branch.

More than 300 boxes were apparently stolen. The robbers are believed to have overpowered a security guard and then spent 12 to 15 hours gaining entry, removing the boxes and loading them up.

Controversy has arisen following the heist, with many customers unhappy about the failure of security measures to prevent the crime.

News24
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/250-fnb-heist-deposit-boxes-recovered-but-theyre-mostly-empty-20161229

Zyraz

Expert Member
Nobody is looking at the even bigger picture.
The documents you will find is normally confidential and probably quite private in nature.
Will,passports etc
Has anyone considered what would happen if those documents get edited , duplicated and fraudulently used ?
This can still come to bite FNB down the line after this immediate event has faded from memory.
:confused:

Venomous

Honorary Master
Apparently 15hrs.. meh these days it's safer to live like a minimalist
The last I heard a security gaurd's shift is 12 hours, not 15+ hours.

So therefore I risk to speculate that there is a combo of company neglect/inside job involved there...

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
I must be the only one finding it quite funny that the FNB deposit boxes were found near FNB stadium....

schumi

Honorary Master
Some of the victims

[video=youtube_share;GLIMVJeRcNc]https://youtu.be/GLIMVJeRcNc[/video]

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
This whole thing is pretty messed up.

Bank security boxes are pretty much the "safest" option available to mid class crowd.