FNB fraud protection - Why your online payments get declined

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
FNB fraud protection - Why your online payments get declined

FNB flags certain retailers as high-risk for online payments, as well as individual transactions, depending on a client's behaviour.

This is true for many South African banks, and it may occasionally result in payment issues for customers.
Like GoG working and then magically stopped working for card payment (FnB) and paypal. Oh well, made a skrill account to buy some titles of the current sale.

Sepeng

Expert Member
I was having issues with FNB & Uber - when I called I was told that they can remove the restriction but then I void all future claims against them in terms of fraudulent transactions. They said it was odd hours I was ordering the Uber - mate it's Uber, I'm only using that thing at odd hours. Thought this didn't sound right and asked for this in writing - that if they allow me to order an Uber I cannot claim any future transaction as fraud - but still waiting, and I've been able to order Ubers ever since.

Louis72

Nah their card system just goes dead randomly :ROFL: SO had same issues ages ago at point of sale purchases and online stores with a debit card being declined 3 times in a row and then suddenly work.

Why should authorisation be declined if Visa 3D secure check passed online? The merchant only gets the money later sometimes days later so plenty of time to stop fraud.

Every amazon order I place, a lot, I have to confirm via SMS or it gets reversed. However it's only amazon.com, all other sites including the co.uk etc and everywhere else on the planet FNB are like eh, it'll be fine.

Last edited:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
The reader decided to check that his payments were working correctly, and attempted to make a payment to Takealot – but the FNB call centre agent told him that Takealot was also flagged as a high-risk merchant.
They need to track down the lying employee and reeducate them.

Solitude

Executive Member
Every month I have a payment that goes off at Patreon. Two months ago it didn't work because it was flagged. Had to phone FNB and they told me that Patreon is a high-risk merchant. Surely though they should see that the same payment has been going off monthly for a couple of years now.

KaMoS

Expert Member
I love that they have an automated system in place for this and that they are aggressively blocking tracking fraud. What I don't love is that the system doesn't work for me. When I enter my cellphone number it doesn't recognise it, and I've checked with my banker that I do have the correct phone number on record. It's so frustrating, coz the CC fraud hotline is ALWAYS busy. So you could easily wait on hold for 30 mins before speaking to an agent. Don't even try to use the "Would you like one of our agents to call you later" option, they never call.

system32

Expert Member
A.I. system not so smart.

I've had transactions declined even though 3D-Secure popped up and I had to enter a PIN.

The problem is lack of visibility - there is no feedback as to why it was declined and how to proceed.

RandomGeek

Expert Member
They need to track down the lying employee and reeducate them.
True! I have also heard some crazy cac coming from call centre staff in my time. This is not isolated to FNB this a general trend...the typical call centre guy only stays in that position for a few months and leaves when he finds something better. Cannot really blame them high stress and low pay job

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Every month I have a payment that goes off at Patreon. Two months ago it didn't work because it was flagged. Had to phone FNB and they told me that Patreon is a high-risk merchant. Surely though they should see that the same payment has been going off monthly for a couple of years now.
My favorite one in relation to this is the SMS I get from FNB every month about a "new" debit order that has been noticed on my account. The value of the debit order and the source (even the reference number is the same) hasn't changed since I instituted it 3 years ago, but every month I get the same new debit order sms.....

Neo_X

Expert Member
also had a run in with FNB recently - leaving a very ver sour taste. saw a weird transaction on my account, which was close to 20 days old already.
somehow i decided,"hey , why not use the app to query the transaction".
tap tap tap, select transaction.
"cool that was easy" - maybe they will call me to give details on the transaction and give an option for it to be reversed,
1-minute later , receives an SMS. your card has been cancelled.

MAYHEM !! ( i have multiple deductions etc, including my internet, that deducts from the credit card, and it was 3 days before the month.)
i am still waiting for the fall out(they couldn't reactivate the card, so i had to change all my online transactions), but FNB definitely lost my trust in them.