FNB launches support for Samsung Pay

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
FNB launches support for Samsung Pay

FNB has launched support for the Samsung Pay app, allowing clients with compatible devices to make contactless payments at terminals across the country.

Users with a compatible Samsung Galaxy smartphone can now scan their FNB Cheque or Credit Card to add it to their application and begin making payments.

RustyPrincess

Expert Member
My Samsung is from the States, so I could add my card fine, but all the deals are for US companies. Apparently if I want SA deals I need to install the SA firmware on my device.

blunt

Expert Member
My Samsung is from the States, so I could add my card fine, but all the deals are for US companies. Apparently if I want SA deals I need to install the SA firmware on my device.
yeah i have one from UAE and have read the same... annoying to not be able to change country.

blunt

Expert Member
Actually just added my FNB cards to Samsung Pay now despite it being the UAE Samsung Pay. Seems the only difference is all the promos are UAE promos.

maccaman

I've had Samsung Pay for a while, but my initial euphoria has disappeared. There are so many stores/businesses that don't accept it (probably more likely have not been trained on how to use it, but I have stopped trying to trouble shoot and teach people how to use it). It is meant to work on any POS device manufactured in the last 10 years or so, but I find even newer devices not working. Again, probably a training issue, but I can't be bothered any more.

Friggs

I've had Samsung Pay for a while, but my initial euphoria has disappeared. There are so many stores/businesses that don't accept it (probably more likely have not been trained on how to use it, but I have stopped trying to trouble shoot and teach people how to use it). It is meant to work on any POS device manufactured in the last 10 years or so, but I find even newer devices not working. Again, probably a training issue, but I can't be bothered any more.
Are you referring to the MST specifically? I have been using the FNB app to pay since I got my Note 9 last year and use it every day, have come across some stores that do not have a compatible terminal but they are exception for me.
I haven't used the MST function but loaded my cards now and will try it when I come across a store that doesn't/can't do TAP.

signates

Expert Member
Are you referring to the MST specifically? I have been using the FNB app to pay since I got my Note 9 last year and use it every day, have come across some stores that do not have a compatible terminal but they are exception for me.
I haven't used the MST function but loaded my cards now and will try it when I come across a store that doesn't/can't do TAP.
I've seen some terminals that only starts the payment process after the card is inserted. I think his referring to these machines. I've only seen them on standard bank machines not linked to the POS till. I'm not sure if you can initiate the payment process on these machines without first inserting the bank card.

Basically with these machines it's >insert card >enter sale amount >select card type >hand machine to customer for pin. It should just be >enter sale amount
>hand over machine to customer to present card and enter pin.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Basically with these machines it's >insert card >enter sale amount >select card type >hand machine to customer for pin. It should just be >enter sale amount
This is exactly what I was wondering about. Seems there's no way around this type of payment then? Loaded my card today, already tested on the TAP type machines. Works flawlessly.

signates

Expert Member
Used it for the first time.

The watch app keeps its own transaction list so transactions done using the watch does not appear on the normal Samsung Pay app but in the Samsung Pay app in the Galaxy Wearables app

marine1

Honorary Master
Used it for the first time.

The watch app keeps its own transaction list so transactions done using the watch does not appear on the normal Samsung Pay app but in the Samsung Pay app in the Galaxy Wearables app
interesting, which watch you using?

Awesum

Expert Member
I've seen some terminals that only starts the payment process after the card is inserted. I think his referring to these machines. I've only seen them on standard bank machines not linked to the POS till. I'm not sure if you can initiate the payment process on these machines without first inserting the bank card.

It works on those machines. You first scan the MST and then enter the amount, etc.

The only place where it has not worked is at Edgars and that is because they have NFC machines and have not enabled it so the transaction fails with NFC. I was advised to try and hold my phone further away so that it picks up the MST and not NFC.

ECHLN

It works on those machines. You first scan the MST and then enter the amount, etc.

The only place where it has not worked is at Edgars and that is because they have NFC machines and have not enabled it so the transaction fails with NFC. I was advised to try and hold my phone further away so that it picks up the MST and not NFC.
Woolies too in some stores.

Sorry FNB too late. Even though you are my bank. My virgin money credit card worked within the first week of Samsung pay and yours didn't so.... win some lose some...