• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

FNB - no way to opt out of spam marketing

Can anyone advise me what the law says regarding marketing spam in SA? I've been living in the EU for almost two years and have not been able to remove myself from FNB's marketing list. Their emails say to email unsubscribe@fnb.co.za with the word "remove" in the subject line, but this does not help at all. You get an automated response promising it will be resolved once someone can look at it and then never hear from them again.

Simply blocking them is not an option, as they send marketing materials from dozens of addresses, I still require my FNB account and I don't want to block an address that sends out important updates or information.

Is the law in SA not that you should be able to opt-out of marketing with one click? It's BS that it's impossible to opt out of their marketing lists, especially as it's not uncommon to receive multiple in one day.

R.V

Banned
Can anyone advise me what the law says regarding marketing spam in SA? I've been living in the EU for almost two years and have not been able to remove myself from FNB's marketing list. Their emails say to email unsubscribe@fnb.co.za with the word "remove" in the subject line, but this does not help at all. You get an automated response promising it will be resolved once someone can look at it and then never hear from them again.

Simply blocking them is not an option, as they send marketing materials from dozens of addresses, I still require my FNB account and I don't want to block an address that sends out important updates or information.

Is the law in SA not that you should be able to opt-out of marketing with one click? It's BS that it's impossible to opt out of their marketing lists, especially as it's not uncommon to receive multiple in one day.
You probably signed on the line.... won't help complaining now.

Just move over to Capitec bank like I did. No spam whatsoever.
Unfortunately not viable for me as I don't have plans to visit SA for a while yet and I don't currently have a residence there. Closing FNB is also not an option, as you can only close your account in-person at a branch. This has come back to haunt many expats.

You probably signed on the line.... won't help complaining now.
Yes, naturally. As did anyone who wants to earn eBucks, as you become ineligible for eBucks if you opt out of their marketing. ;)

I do believe that you should have the right to rescind your consent at any point in time, and FNB clearly does too seeing as they do offer you a channel to do just that. They just don't care enough to actually follow through on unsubscription requests.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Asked this once on FB, they said one must call them, mailing doesn't seem to work.
I ended up just adding certain keywords of FNB's marketing to go straight to trash.

R.V

Banned
FNB / First Rand group is probably one of the top personal information traders in this country. Once you are on their list, there is no way stopping it. Your information is already in the hands of hundreds of other companies too.