genetic

Honorary Master
“Smart device users are becoming increasingly brand loyal and they are realising the value and ease of use that acquiring the same brand across tablets, smartphones and smart watches has through the synchronisation that it offers,”

If I was brand loyal I would have stuck with HTC. The only reason I got an S4 is because I couldn't get hold of an HTC One.

It's all down to brand marketing and availability. Not brand loyalty.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
What most companies going into wearables don't get is that any person serious about sport and health will:
(1) not cart around a 10 grand phone while outdoors
(2) will want a device which will work in all weather conditions and will have no problem with rain

The Gear Fit is an example of Samsung failing again. The device lacks GPS and therefore require you to also lug around the big S5. The Samsung fitness eco-system is poor and locks you in. Just reading the various reviews it is puzzling that they messed it up. I think Apple will probably get it right (especially since they have Nike in the mix and thus plenty of experience when it comes to sporting wearables).

eltherza

Expert Member
What most companies going into wearables don't get is that any person serious about sport and health will:
(1) not cart around a 10 grand phone while outdoors
(2) will want a device which will work in all weather conditions and will have no problem with rain

The Gear Fit is an example of Samsung failing again. The device lacks GPS and therefore require you to also lug around the big S5. The Samsung fitness eco-system is poor and locks you in. Just reading the various reviews it is puzzling that they messed it up. I think Apple will probably get it right (especially since they have Nike in the mix and thus plenty of experience when it comes to sporting wearables).

Sounds exactly like the previous ipod nano.

Anyone know if there is a "smart watch" that has gps build in (and the ability to track and upload data via 3G or wifi)?

MagicDude4Eva

Banned

Anyone know if there is a "smart watch" that has gps build in (and the ability to track and upload data via 3G or wifi)?

There is nothing good out there at the moment. The closest to a good running watch is a Forerunner 620. At the moment I am using a Nike Sportswatch and hopefully later this year TomTom/Suntoo and others will wake up and come up with a lighter and better looking smart watch. I just don't see the point of the Gear Fit - it has an unnatural display and I saw yesterday someone wearing it in the back-to-front so that she does not have to twist her hand.

Skerminkel

Expert Member

There is nothing good out there at the moment. The closest to a good running watch is a Forerunner 620. At the moment I am using a Nike Sportswatch and hopefully later this year TomTom/Suntoo and others will wake up and come up with a lighter and better looking smart watch. I just don't see the point of the Gear Fit - it has an unnatural display and I saw yesterday someone wearing it in the back-to-front so that she does not have to twist her hand.

I thought the fat lady was warming up for Garmin's Forerunner series, but clearly not. They are not "smart" in the modern marketing version of the term, but do everything you need if you are looking for a proper sports watch - GPS, uploading, heart rate, etc. There is one for every need (running/cycling/(both)/swim/gym). Since they introduced HRM, Polar seems to be the big loser. Suntoo/Adidas/Nike are all just wannabees.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
Reading that.
The guy wants everything spoonfed, he does not know how to set up the device therefore it is broken.
You have to tell the phone to get pedometer readings from the watch (because not everybody owns the watch) but then he backtracks and blames his stupidity on software updates...

I disagree with you on this part - a wearable should be non-intrusive and if you look at the eco system Samsung created it does not work. You need the S5 for the GPS functionality - makes sense from a Samsung point of view, but not really for someone who runs 10km daily irrespective weather condition. Also remember that this is Samsung's 2nd attempt (they launched the first wearable in September last year which was an even worse failure). I agree that many things are software related and can easily be fixed, but Samsung is also known to very quickly abandon their old products.

I do think that his reviews are well done and he is very critical and looks at the devices as a marathon runner, cyclist and swimmer and not a casual user who wants to measure how many steps he has taken between bedroom and loo.

wolverine_dcp

Expert Member
there an update released for changing display views

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
I disagree with you on this part - a wearable should be non-intrusive and if you look at the eco system Samsung created it does not work. You need the S5 for the GPS functionality - makes sense from a Samsung point of view, but not really for someone who runs 10km daily irrespective weather condition. Also remember that this is Samsung's 2nd attempt (they launched the first wearable in September last year which was an even worse failure). I agree that many things are software related and can easily be fixed, but Samsung is also known to very quickly abandon their old products.

I do think that his reviews are well done and he is very critical and looks at the devices as a marathon runner, cyclist and swimmer and not a casual user who wants to measure how many steps he has taken between bedroom and loo.

I see no issue with taking my S5 out for a run in a thunderstorm (although the only reason I would be running in a thunderstorm would be due to zombie apocalypse).

There currently are not all that many wearable GPS devices out there designed for sport so on that count it seems that he is writing a wish list as opposed to a review.

Yes, this is Samsung's 2n'd attempt. It is far superior to the beta model in many ways but let's not get into that just yet.

His review turned into a rant half way through when he could not figure out that as the S5 has all the functionality of the Gear fit (or 2 in my case) he would have to tell the phone where to get the data from.
I also found the 0 on S health irritating, so I pushed a couple of buttons and voilà, it is syncing from the watch.

I have no experience with the Fit's heart rate monitor but the one on my gear2 is pretty accurate (from readings during hiking and resting mode). All I can think is that he was wearing it like a bangle with the strap loose.

As the device is not designed purely for fitness nuts the fitness options are well, optional.

Last edited:

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master
With R2500 profit...

Then why don't you offer MyBB members the device at a cheaper rate?

EDIT: And remember that that price is before they deduct the service fee you qualify for. But yes - they work it into their pricing now

Last edited:

Skerminkel

Expert Member
I see no issue with taking my S5 out for a run in a thunderstorm (although the only reason I would be running in a thunderstorm would be due to zombie apocalypse)...

:D

Although running with a phone makes you look like a noob.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
:D

Although running with a phone makes you look like a noob.

Phone in pocket, all the info I need would display on the gear (or get fed to my ears via bluetooth headphones).

Anyway I am not saying it's the perfect solution, far from it. I am just saying that the article was written by one of those impatient types who bitched before reading the manual or taking a deep breath and then just pushing a few buttons, probably been suspended from a cape town cycling club recently due to pepper spraying a driver or something :)

Gulio

Banned
Then why don't you offer MyBB members the device at a cheaper rate?

EDIT: And remember that that price is before they deduct the service fee you qualify for. But yes - they work it into their pricing now

It highlights the value offering from the mobile providers with airtime.
This pricing is hardware only. Add R200 minimum to that per month and the mobile provider offering looks like better value.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
... I am just saying that the article was written by one of those impatient types who bitched before reading the manual or taking a deep breath and then just pushing a few buttons, probably been suspended from a cape town cycling club recently due to pepper spraying a driver or something :)

OK, I'll take your word. I am not going to read through a whole dcrainmaker review about a product I am not interested in. His reviews are usually very comprehensive. He actually uses the tools in training and not just read what's stated on the packaging.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
OK, I'll take your word. I am not going to read through a whole dcrainmaker review about a product I am not interested in. His reviews are usually very comprehensive. He actually uses the tools in training and not just read what's stated on the packaging.

I did read the review and I think the Samsung will work for the typical crowd who uses the phone at the gym or shuffles along on a treadmill or around the block. For me as a casual runner (I do about 8-10km/day) it would not work - right now the Nike GPS watch + footpod + heartrate monitor is enough (considering that in winter it is also LED lamp), so I think lugging a phone around as well is just a major PITA.

I saw the S5 and Gearfit at the Samsung stand in Clearwater and the device is visually really nice but I think has at least one or two iterations to go. Not quite sure if Samsung is the right company to do this - to me it feels like they rushed something out to beat Apple. None of the features on the Gearfit (i.e. HR monitor) are really new - plenty of ANT+ devices out there which had those features before. The curved display is nice, but why would you have phone integration on your hand if you have to have your phone with you any way?

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
I did read the review and I think the Samsung will work for the typical crowd who uses the phone at the gym or shuffles along on a treadmill or around the block. For me as a casual runner (I do about 8-10km/day) it would not work - right now the Nike GPS watch + footpod + heartrate monitor is enough (considering that in winter it is also LED lamp), so I think lugging a phone around as well is just a major PITA.

I saw the S5 and Gearfit at the Samsung stand in Clearwater and the device is visually really nice but I think has at least one or two iterations to go. Not quite sure if Samsung is the right company to do this - to me it feels like they rushed something out to beat Apple. None of the features on the Gearfit (i.e. HR monitor) are really new - plenty of ANT+ devices out there which had those features before. The curved display is nice, but why would you have phone integration on your hand if you have to have your phone with you any way?

Not specifically for fitness but some of the features I really enjoy.

I have notifications for everything I want, examples include forums (tapatalk), facebook, gmail and all the rest in a very unobtrusive way. My wrist vibrates. For most of my apps I have turned notifications on the phone off completely.

Things like SMS and email give much more detailed notifications (and with sms if you read the whole thing on the watch it marks it as read on the phone), I can also do generic quick replies or voice replies.

The ability to answer the phone or make calls off the watch has come in handy quite a few times. When My hands are busy or similar.

There are many more fun features and several redundant ones (for me anyway) but it's all about what you are after in the end.

This is not just a sports watch and If that is all you try and rate it on you will not get the full picture.