FNB Stadium renamed to National Stadium for AFCON

Rocket Raccoon

Executive Member
First National Bank Stadium or simply FNB Stadium, also known as Soccer City and The Calabash, is a stadium located in Nasrec,

Dafuq? I thought FNB Stadium and Soccer City were 2 different stadiums. Then again, soccer never interested me.

K

kingrob

Is this the African Nations cup that banana banana did not even qualify for?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Standard Bank I would assume.

Does Standard Bank own their own stadium or have exclusive sponsorship rights over any of the stadiums in Joburg?
No? Awww, too bad. They have to use the FNB stadium.
Everybody knows it is the FNB stadium, calling it something else for a few months is not gonna make one iota of difference.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Afcon rules, like world cup rules: no branding on stadia. I guess so the advertisers/sponsors of the event get their money's worth.

I can guarantee you that FNB did not come to this agreement out of just the goodness of their hearts. :D
AFCON are paying big money for the privilege of renaming something for two months that everybody already knows as something else! lol.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Does Standard Bank own their own stadium or have exclusive sponsorship rights over any of the stadiums in Joburg?
No? Awww, too bad. They have to use the FNB stadium.
Everybody knows it is the FNB stadium, calling it something else for a few months is not gonna make one iota of difference.
No, but they are one of, or maybe the only, major African sponsor of CAF so I would think this would be a sticking point. At least now they can get on with issuing tickets.

Anyway - how hard is it going to be to rename the stadium? A few koki pens will make short work of it [-]First[/-] National [-]Bank[/-] Stadium :)

BTW - do the majority of people really think of it as FNB Stadium - or Soccer City?
Afcon rules, like world cup rules: no branding on stadia. I guess so the advertisers/sponsors of the event get their money's worth.
AFAIK FIFA regs dont allow venues they're using to have sponsored names. Hence Soccer City during the WC.

Last edited:

purpleonlineadmin

National Stadium is so far left. Even the old FNB Stadium was nicknamed Soccer City, they should just name it Soccer City for officially hosted tournaments, and FNB domestically. National Stadium? Sounds like something out of a Mabutu regime... Oh wait Zuma!

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
FNB must have accepted a big bag of money for this. To me it will always be Soccer City, and I would have prefered if that name was used for the AFCON.