FNB Tap and Go limit, removed?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Next time you tap to pay something, try just holding your wallet to the machine instead of taking the card out. See if that works.

That'll give you an idea of how safe your card is in your pocket.
If you don't think you'll notice a card reader to the groin you should probably wrap that with tin foil as well.

If you don't think you'll notice a card reader to the groin you should probably wrap that with tin foil as well.
Lol. You may not notice it. In a busy public place, skilled pickpockets are great at getting to places where you think they shouldn't.

But I don't think they're sensitive enough to read the chip in your card through your leather wallet and your denims. Granted I haven't tested this, but if I wave my card at the reader, I basically need to press the thing right down, which leads me to believe that the electronics aren't super-sensitive.

garp

Executive Member
Lol. You may not notice it. In a busy public place, skilled pickpockets are great at getting to places where you think they shouldn't.

But I don't think they're sensitive enough to read the chip in your card through your leather wallet and your denims. Granted I haven't tested this, but if I wave my card at the reader, I basically need to press the thing right down, which leads me to believe that the electronics aren't super-sensitive.
You can't rule out the use of customised supersensitive RFID readers. I don't think the real pros are going to be carrying an actual terminal around.

jezzad

Popped into the bank this morning. First time in probably two years. Apparently all payments now need a pin code. This was put in place and applied to everyone.

Apparently people were worried about their cards getting swiped

Smokey888

Popped into the bank this morning. First time in probably two years. Apparently all payments now need a pin code. This was put in place and applied to everyone.

I used mine this weekend more than once, and only got asked once for a pin whilst using tap and go. seems to be at random times where it prompts for the pin code...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Next time you tap to pay something, try just holding your wallet to the machine instead of taking the card out. See if that works.

That'll give you an idea of how safe your card is in your pocket.
Get a better wallet.

Which is why it's TAP and go. Not wave and go.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

I suspected as much, people are idiots and now we all need to suffer.

travcaine

So according to my banking team, they are working on enhancements to allow for these limits to be reduced and increased through online systems. For now the pin limit for credit card limit is R500 and the cheque card is for all contactless transactions.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
I can still use my Credit Card (issued in 2016) contact less without a PIN (not sure limit now) but Cheque card (6 months old) requires PIN every time no matter the amount.

krycor

Honorary Master
Is any of this merchant specific? Had to enter pin for a small purchase at Checkers and then immediately after just tapped with no pin for R800 at Woolworths. Can the merchant specify a threshold? Also FNB.
Merchant sets the value which is determined by PASA regulations.. last I remember it was about R550 (>12m ago) or so before pin forced/required but I don’t know.. as this value is periodically changed by Card Association($ value) and/or Acquiring bank.

In addition to this the card emv has a risk & limit call which the bank sets so its a case of the two limits and emv & POS deciding what to do.. eg your regular merchant, pin was entered on last tran and approved online, etc then likely won’t ask.. but assumed merchant limit is higher than requested amount.

Keep in mind for a credit card, fraud risk is that of the card assoc & bank for valid emv card tran..

surface

Executive Member
I tapped several times yesterday at pick n pay's and at spar and didnt require a pin.
CC is a couple of weeks old.
CC is few months old. I remember limit used to be 200 but on saturday, it allowed 450 rands tap & go transaction without pin. I haven't changed limits. In fact, I vaguely recall having asked for pin just once for tap and go.