FNB to stop issuing cheques to South African customers

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator
FNB to stop issuing cheques to South African customers

FNB has announced it will stop issuing cheques from 1 January 2020.

The bank stated the decision follows the declining use of cheques locally and globally, coupled with the recent announcement made by the Payments Association of South Africa (PASA) to reduce the maximum value of cheque limits from R500,000 to R50,000 in May this year.

Customers who still use cheques have been given a six months’ notice period to adapt to alternative forms of payments, the bank said.

Mekon

Expert Member
I thought cheques were a thing of the past long ago. Oh well you learn something new everyday. I mean just yesterday I learnt that the new bank I'm with is just as sad as the old bank I was with.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Americans love cheques. I don't think they could survive without cheque books.

Qrox

Expert Member
Americans love cheques. I don't think they could survive without cheque books.

It amazes me that America still uses such a primitive form of banking.
It seems like they are way, way behind when it comes to banking if you compare it to what we have here.

eg2505

Honorary Master
It seems like they are way, way behind when it comes to banking if you compare it to what we have here.

when America uses the metric system, like we have here,
and decides to adopt 220V like the majority of the world,
and decide to stick to the GSM standard of the rest of the world.

but until then, some things wont ever change.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...

You are aware that America does use the Metric system, and are still trying to switch across to it. But they have much legacy stuff from a cultural side to roll back before it will take hold. In many ways like the UK which is in this wierd halfarsed no mans land.

Actually their power system is 220V up until a point (granted I only learnt this a little while ago), its how they distribute it from the pole to the house that scales it down to 110v per feed.

And most of their mobile networks are running 4G etc international standards...
**EDIT** Actually no, not most... all are from what I know. and GSM adoption from back in the day was 50% AT&T and T-Mobile

Last edited:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

When SA starts driving on the correct side of the road we can talk.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
When SA starts driving on the correct side of the road we can talk.

Driving on the left is better. Most people are right eye dominant and right handed. Driving on the left gives better sight of oncoming cars and keeps your stronger hand on the steering wheel when changing gears.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Driving on the left is better. Most people are right eye dominant and right handed. Driving on the left gives better sight of oncoming cars and keeps your stronger hand on the steering wheel when changing gears.
You also pay more for that privilege.

"Driving" on the left only makes sense if you're wielding a sword.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Eye dominance doesn't matter, and in regards to changing gears, if you don't have power steering, I'd be wondering from what century your car is.

And then there's automatic.

neoprema

Expert Member
You are aware that America does use the Metric system, and are still trying to switch across to it. But they have much legacy stuff from a cultural side to roll back before it will take hold. In many ways like the UK which is in this wierd halfarsed no mans land.

Actually their power system is 220V up until a point (granted I only learnt this a little while ago), its how they distribute it from the pole to the house that scales it down to 110v per feed.

And most of their mobile networks are running 4G etc international standards...
**EDIT** Actually no, not most... all are from what I know. and GSM adoption from back in the day was 50% AT&T and T-Mobile
I spend 2 weeks a year in the US and my T-Mobile SIM normally sits on EDGE for about 45% of the time and then 3G and sometimes on 4G. Although that said T-Mobile does have less coverage than AT&T for 4G. I was going to try an AT&T sim this year but my visit has been cancelled thank to the stupid virus.

cozinsky

Expert Member
Their banking is very archaic. They only recently phased in chip and pin. They are very reluctant to change.