FNB will no longer email your bank statement - Here's why

eg2505

Honorary Master
FNB and its strange decisions, first the no Bitcoin, then no password managers, now this.

Athos

Meh I don't read those statements anyway so no difference for me. If I need it I'll find it on the app.

Reactions: Shi

Daruk

Honorary Master
Full historical at no extra cost, or only last 3 months for free?
Hmmm...
One of the reasons I left FNB. Charging me for accessing a 4 month old bank statement. Pillocks. Nedbank FTW. I can access ancient statements without issue except for credit cards - that's 6 months.

garyc

Expert Member
One of the advantages of online platforms is that they have the potential to shift the administrative burden onto the customer, thereby saving the company money. This development is simply a progression on this business strategy.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
“We are now offering customers a wider choice of free, convenient and safer interfaces to access statements,” Kloppers said.
Lol they don't know how to password protect a pdf file?

signates

Executive Member
National Credit Act S65(2)(b) Should sort them out when it comes to credit card statements and bank accounts with active overdrafts.

Reactions: 3WA

system32

Expert Member
“At FNB, we are dedicated to offering you services that make the way you bank more convenient, saving you time and money,” the bank said in the email.
“For your convenience, you can access statements via the FNB App and online banking.”
“From 1 August 2020, your statements will no longer be sent via email,” the bank told customers.
The bank recommended that customers view their statement on the FNB or via online banking going forward, and provided guidance on how to access these platforms.
MyBroadband asked FNB about this change in statement distribution, and the bank said the change was made to improve efficiency and security.
What utter BS.
Not saving me money or time by forcing me to use the App.
Not more convenient - Can only access last 3 statements for free.
Not improved efficiency - gmail has rules to apply labels/folders to order messages.
Not improved security - gmail is secure with TLS & DKIM and 2FA.

STOP TRYING TO MAKE THE BANKING APP DO EVERYTHING.

Give your customers an opt-in choice (currently opt-out).
It's not better than gmail and handing folders, searching and long term storage.
It's not better than WhatsApp at sending instant messages.
It's not better than Zoiper at VoIP.

Last edited:

Pegasus

Expert Member
Full historical at no extra cost, or only last 3 months for free?
Hmmm...
Ja, annoys me.
Occasionally I go a few months without updating Microsoft money.
I then go through the emailed transactions to get the missing transactions.
Now they take that away...

Capitec let you got pretty far back for free.