FNB's "Tap & PIN" to roll out to more ATMs

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
FNB's "Tap & PIN" to roll out to more ATMs

FNB announced that it will roll out its contactless "Tap and PIN" functionality to 600 more ATMs across South Africa over the next year.

"Tap and PIN" allows FNB customers with compatible debit and credit cards to perform ATM transactions without inserting their card into the machine.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Ok I will be the stick in the mud. Why?

Card still gets taken out and put back in again. The card just doesn't have to be inserted.

Unless the change results in cheaper hardware as a NFC reader is required instead of the old tech.
But then it can be argued that to use other bank cards you still require an old reader?

3WA

Executive Member
Ok I will be the stick in the mud. Why?

Card still gets taken out and put back in again. The card just doesn't have to be inserted.

Unless the change results in cheaper hardware as a NFC reader is required instead of the old tech.
But then it can be argued that to use other bank cards you still require an old reader?
Faster. Less wear and tear on card. No chance of card skimming.

Seems sensible. Not that many FNB customers still use ATMs

Hellhound105

Expert Member

Ok, makes sense. But what about other bank cards. They make lekker profit from people drawing from other banks.

Yes, I dont use ATMs anymore. Perhaps the odd occasion where I dont have my card with me, but then its cardless :)

3WA

Executive Member
Ok, makes sense. But what about other bank cards. They make lekker profit from people drawing from other banks.

Yes, I dont use ATMs anymore. Perhaps the odd occasion where I dont have my card with me, but then its cardless :)
I imagine the ATM still has a slot for people without modern cards. Can't see why they'd remove it.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
“An NFC device has a 15-second average time saving per transaction, a significant reduction from the traditional ATM transaction,” said van Zyl.
Lol really? Only Zapper really saves me time.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
the fact that you still need the card.... meh
You can pay with tapping your phone via the FNB banking app, I wonder if they will integrate tap for ATM withdrawal as well then.
Lol really? Only Zapper really saves me time.
Well, I can open the app on my phone while waiting in the queue, takes like 2-3 seconds of holding my phone over the card machine for the transaction to go through, don't need to enter a PIN. Uses fingerprint to authenticate in the app, or you can use a password on the app.
Some card machines are annoying and ask for what account, e.g. savings, cheque or credit, when I only have my cheque linked, quite annoying, usually Absa machines (e.g. most Food Lovers use those).

cpu.

Expert Member

I think the majority still use ATMs. When I want to do a cardless deposit (cash customers) there's usually a queue.

cpu.

Expert Member
Me too because this will be cheaper than cardless cash
If you play the ebucks game it's best to stay away, because of the ATM withdrawal rule (unless you don't need 100% instore swipes/withdrawal).

torgo

Yep. But criminals will find a way of hiding a merchant card machine so that when u tap a payment is also made