Focus shifts to Windows 8 and Surface tablet

McCrazieGoalz

Expert Member
Flip.

I quoted you in full just in case it seems as if I'm misquoting what you're saying. Let's take a few steps back here (in flip-flops perhaps). We are discussing tablets as they emerged as a technology platform in this century. Not desktops or notebooks. You need to stop presenting information as fact when you are not even sure whether or not you can draw a proper comparison.
The comparison to notebooks comes in because Win8 tablets are a bridge between current tablets and current notebooks/laptops. Offering both produtivity and content consumption apps.

In my initial post I mentioned that I wanted to see how to open up an app on a Mac to start writing a document with. I will not have that problem on a Win8 tab. I also had the same problem (locating such an app) on an iPad.

McCrazieGoalz

Expert Member
I gave my then 2.5 year old son an ipad on christmas last year and he never once asked for instructions ;) ... he just used it. I do admit I had to DL the apps for him, but that was about it
Quite frankly, I don't think your 2.5 year old cared what he did on it. As long as he was doing something on it.

It also could be that he was worried that if he told you he couldn't do something you would tell him that he can't play with it anymore.

Executive Member
Quite frankly, I don't think your 2.5 year old cared what he did on it. As long as he was doing something on it.

It also could be that he was worried that if he told you he couldn't do something you would tell him that he can't play with it anymore.
My child figured out youtube just fine, and became an expert at finding youtube and his apps/games (even if we hid the icons), and even started to choose his own favourite videos on it. Big problem came when ios6 removed the youtube app, now he doesn't pay much (if any) attention to the ipad anymore.

Don't underestimate children.

Kompete

Expert Member

au contraire mon frere - he is very specific on which apps he wants; he browses the app store and selects what he wants himself - I then have to type in my pswd - to allow the DL. one month its iggle piggle, then its rango, and lately its buzz...do not underestimate the will of a 2-3 year old :D

McCrazieGoalz

Expert Member
au contraire mon frere - he is very specific on which apps he wants; he browses the app store and selects what he wants himself - I then have to type in my pswd - to allow the DL. one month its iggle piggle, then its rango, and lately its buzz...do not underestimate the will of a 2-3 year old :D
Point taken.

Funny though because here is actual footage of a 3 year old using Windows 8.

[video=youtube;dlZgcAacIxU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlZgcAacIxU[/video]

I am quite sure that if I force myself to I will be able to use an iPad or a Mac quite easily.

falcon786

Executive Member
All the numb nuts saying their 2 years old used an ipad etc doesnt mean your ipad is the most user friendly device it just means kids are smart these days,my 1,5 year old successfully launches videos on my ipad,galaxy tab and bb9900 (i dont let him touch my iphone its a bit delicate lol) so its hardly a platform thing they know how to get to games also before they can even read!

Lets get back to the proper topic then and leave our kids out of it since thats hardly a good measure at all.

MightyMuffinMan

Expert Member
The point I was making is, if Apple products are so intuitive then why do I have to learn how to find the most basic stuff.

And thats the point. Its like my change to Windows 8, I didnt want to because loss of time learning it would be difficult but after 20 minutes I had it down. Apple means loearning everything again more or less and I also dont want to waste my time.

BTW for the argument I want everyone to remember the xbox 360 release and the way reviewers thought it would fail as it was less powerful than the PS3 yet it is currently the worlds number one console. It was late/new to the market yet it dominates. I think Novmber 2012 saw 1.3 million xboxs sold thats amazing considering its old tech and I believe thats what microsoft is gonna do with the surface.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
In my initial post I mentioned that I wanted to see how to open up an app on a Mac to start writing a document with. I will not have that problem on a Win8 tab. I also had the same problem (locating such an app) on an iPad.
:confused: You double click it - if you can manage that on a windows machine you can probably manage it on a Mac.

MightyMuffinMan

Expert Member
:confused: You double click it - if you can manage that on a windows machine you can probably manage it on a Mac.
lol dont oversimplify. I have used all 3 systems. Apple , Linux and Windows.

I started on windows 2000. I've dabbled in Linux during the time of XP. I recently tried My friends Mac because I heard that the less powerful tech works so well with the OS ie a dual core Mac is similar to a PC Quad core. However I felt the learning curb of the system too much ie I just dont want to spend more time in my life right now learning a new OS when I have a family and full time job and this when the tech is comparatively less powerful.

I have a google account and 2 PC systems both with Windows 8 which took me 20 min to change from Windows 7. I initalliy installed dual boot so that I could revert to Win7. Over past month I have logged into win7 maybe twice and I use my PC almost daily.

Like the article says: Its about familiarity and that's where MS wins. Most people (And like to consider myself most) just dont have the time to learn something new. My brother didnt want to learn Win8 but had to because of company upgrade and now he wont use anything else.

The change to Apple is too much and if you think about it for most people the change to Win is easy as they already know the system.