Food grade mineral oil - where to find?

ricardo12

Anyone know where I can buy "food grade mineral oil" I know in the States you can buy 5L for around R300... has to be food grade to be used on a bread board, need to soak it in the stuff... only size I can find is around 300ml for 200 odd rand which is madness... preferably in Johannesburg

Trompie67

Expert Member
Mineral oil is petroleum based. "Food oil" is generally plant based - sunflower, olive, avocado, coconut etc. Plant based oils go rancid, so it is inadvisable to use them on wooden boards.

Mineral oil is basically paraffin. You can use it to rub your board down, the only issue is it stinks! Whilst in the USA they rate oils with an ester of e905 as food safe in Europe they do not. I'd rather not soak my boards in a by-product of petrol!

I use beeswax instead. Buy a 2 x 1kg block. Melt one, soak each side of board & then use the remaining one to rub the board down after each use. Are you can buy it in small blocks if that is easier to handle. When I last bought it was around R200 per 1kg block.

Grant

Honorary Master
Johnson and Johnson baby oil is pure mineral oil - the plain one, not one with aloe or other "enhancers"

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Goes rancid after a while of being exposed to air.
Don't want your cutting board to stink / impart unpleasant flavor.
Sure but don't you oil it and then basically bake it away in the oven?

Not that I even think that really does much of anything.

saor

Honorary Master
Sure but don't you oil it and then basically bake it away in the oven?
:wtf:
How would you bake away oil from a wooden chopping board in the oven? Oil doesn't evaporate. Let alone the fact that the heat would destroy / warp the board. You don't bake a board. You apply mineral oil, let it draw in and that's it. Where do you come with this baking idea?

airborne

Executive Member
It's called Parafin BP in Sa, I had the same question you had looking for that oil in Sa to use on cutting boards. You'll definitely be able to get it in larger quantities from the medical wholesalers, Dischem sells 250ml for around R30 last I checked and had larger bottles for better value.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
:wtf:
How would you bake away oil from a wooden chopping board in the oven? Oil doesn't evaporate. Let alone the fact that the heat would destroy / warp the board. You don't bake a board. You apply mineral oil, let it draw in and that's it. Where do you come with this baking idea?
Simply assumed it's the same as curing a pan.

Googled it now and seems like one of those old wives tail things that I honestly question the efficacy of as one never done it and my boards are all just fine.

However Google does say you need maybe two tablespoons so I'm not sure why OP wants litres of the stuff.

ricardo12

thanks for all the quick replies, excellent. And thanks Trompie67 for the beeswax idea, will give it a bash. Good call Airborne I had no idea it was called a different name here in SA, thanks.

With regards to "food oil" 100% it will go rancid which is a big no no, you can use Walnut oil but it is expensive, I'm looking for a few liters of mineral oil as a test, will put it in a plastic box to soak my boards in :)