Football banter 2016/2017/2018

cenredash

Expert Member
Did you enjoy the game?
Great performance by Liverpool, away to bayern. Like Madrid a team with ageing stars struggling against a hungrier team.

Mane carrying the attacking intent and wonderful first goal.

Four English teams still in the draw.
Managed by a Spaniard, a German, Argentinian and Norwegian.
Also Juve, Barca, Ajax and Porto.

Hoping for a Pool vs Man City draw next up :) should kill someone's title hopes.

Pretty sure the English teams will get Juve and Barca though. Probably our lot and Spurs.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Pretty sure the English teams will get Juve and Barca though. Probably our lot and Spurs.
Tinfoil hat firmly placed on head:

The English clubs will be drawn against one another while Barca and Juve will get Ajax and Porto. Gotta get the big draws (Ronaldo and Messi) as deep as possible in to the competition ($$$) and they won't want to run the risk of an all English semi-final.

The Voice

Executive Member
Tinfoil hat firmly placed on head:

The English clubs will be drawn against one another while Barca and Juve will get Ajax and Porto. Gotta get the big draws (Ronaldo and Messi) as deep as possible in to the competition ($$$) and they won't want to run the risk of an all English semi-final.
IIRC clubs from the same country can't draw each other in the QF, only from SF onward?

thestaggy

Honorary Master
IIRC clubs from the same country can't draw each other in the QF, only from SF onward?
I think it only applies to the group stages and maybe the Round-of-16.

Liverpool and City played in the QFs last season.

Before that Barca was drawn against Atletico in the QFs in 2015/16.
Atletico vs Real in 2014/15.
Barca vs Atletico in 2013/14.

Damn, RIP Atletico. Couldn't catch a break.

The Voice

Executive Member
I think it only applies to the group stages and maybe the Round-of-16.

Liverpool and City played in the QFs last season.

Before that Barca was drawn against Atletico in the QFs in 2015/16.
Atletico vs Real in 2014/15.
Barca vs Atletico in 2013/14.

Damn, RIP Atletico. Couldn't catch a break.
Ah right, cheers. Draw could be very interesting then!

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Great performance by Liverpool, away to bayern. Like Madrid a team with ageing stars struggling against a hungrier team.

Mane carrying the attacking intent and wonderful first goal.

Four English teams still in the draw.
Managed by a Spaniard, a German, Argentinian and Norwegian.
Also Juve, Barca, Ajax and Porto.

Hoping for a Pool vs Man City draw next up :) should kill someone's title hopes.

Don't want any English team - that's boring - we play each other all the time- makes it less special.

cenredash

Expert Member
Don't want any English team - that's boring - we play each other all the time- makes it less special.
OK then have barca!

I'm almost afraid of wishing for Porto or Ajax because you're as likely to come acropper against them on their on and your off one.

As much as I hate to admit it I still think there are three tiers left in the running, given the recent form book and history.

Barca, juve and man City.

Then Liverpool and United.

Then spurs, Ajax and Porto.

Within each tier anyone could beat anyone so those are 50.

With the tier just below I think an overall win is probably 66 34 in favour of the above tier team.

And between the top and bottom tiers it is probably 90 10 in favour of the top tier.

Pool fans would probably put pool in the top tier. But that's how I'd bet

Neoprod

Honorary Master
^, people are sleeping on Ajax because of the league they play in. Conceded the least of the teams left in the competition and dangerous going forward.

Wouldn't be a surprise if they cause some palpitations next round.