Football Banter Thread (2nd Half)

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Name one (excluding for drug use or other criminal behaviour)

Muhammad Ali had his boxing licence suspended for 3 years for being a conscientious objector. Vinnie Jones was suspended for 6 months for doing a voiceover on a video about dirty tactics in football.

I gave examples even though your exclusions don't make sense...it's all breach of contract ultimately. It's not illegal to take performance-enhancing drugs but it is against the rules the players agree to in order to participate in the sport. The football association (at least the English one) has to provide permission to clubs to enter competitions outside of the league system \ agreed cups. Without that permission, they're effectively in breach of contract. Whether or not they enforce that, time will tell.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Muhammad Ali had his boxing licence suspended for 3 years for being a conscientious objector. Vinnie Jones was suspended for 6 months for doing a voiceover on a video about dirty tactics in football.

I gave examples even though your exclusions don't make sense...it's all breach of contract ultimately. It's not illegal to take performance-enhancing drugs but it is against the rules the players agree to in order to participate in the sport. The football association (at least the English one) has to provide permission to clubs to enter competitions outside of the league system \ agreed cups. Without that permission, they're effectively in breach of contract. Whether or not they enforce that, time will tell.
Let's continue this on the ESL thread

Polymathic

Honorary Master
The only thing that can kill this thing for sure are the players.

Currently the 2 biggest young stars Mbappe and Haaland are not involved in the Super League, if Messi and Ronaldo come out against this it will help.

Good news is that there are no real big stars apart from Ronaldo playing in the big 3 in Serie A and the Big 2 in Spain have the least amount of stars since I can remember. Most of the star players are playing in the EPL.

If the German and Brazilian FAs ban players that play in the Super League from playing for their national sides, its going to go a long way.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
It's not only the club's backers at play, they are proposing a superior product which will likely draw the lion's share of the market (i.e. TV rights)

There is going to be a big back lash, and it is going to take 2-3 years for the dust to settle, every thing sorted.

The Voice

Honorary Master
The only English team that is ready for Super League, is Man. City, they have enough players, and have the least number to buy.

They rest need to play catch - going to cost them a fortune.
Each founding member gets a €3.7bil bump. Money isn't going to be a problem.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Guy has made more money getting sacked than actually working.
You have a point there.

However United's financial reports yesterday revealed that he earned £15 million from having his contract ended early and in all that leaves him on £63.5 million
In 2007 he made £18 million when he left Stamford Bridge, five years later he was given £17 million to leave Real Madrid, it was another £12.5 million in 2015 when he left Chelsea again and then the pay out from United.

Hamster

Resident Rodent

So it's just a midweek competition, and won't replace the regular league season. I guess, Big Money Boy CL 2.0 or something.

AC Milan, Arsenal, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Juventus, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Tottenham Hotspur have all joined as Founding Clubs.

Schweet, most of the teams I care about.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Apparently Maureen was opposed to the ESL, so makes sense for them to part ways.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
BREAKING: Arsenal have decided to not participate in the European Super League. They are starting their own breakaway league with just themselves.

The bookies currently have them as second favourites to win it.
Top level bant