Football banter thread

cenredash

Expert Member
Oh no... Penalty United's only weapon flummoxed. They'll have...play football or something now to win the game. Outrageous...
And then for 10 glorious mins from 86 to ole time they play football.

Newcastle didn't go on lockdown for the second wave and its 3x worse than the first wave.

But seriously, I chalk this one up to Steve Bruce, the worst manager of player welfare. You get players like Isaac Hayden who walks off for a mystery injury and your gk gets obviously injured, why did he leave Darlow on?

I'd hate to play for Bruce. Half his squads are permanently in the ambulance.

cenredash

Expert Member
Refering to a different incent but the Pickford challenge was definitely subjective based on what the Var official thought. It was a reckless and dangerous play which should be a red card even if play has stoped. VAR has protocols but it is still human error creeping in which is frustrating for all teams not only Liverpool
Why move to the other incident?

When results from an imperfect adjudication mechanism goes against your team you can't want to rewrite the whole process.

End of last year I remember against wolves VAR robbed wolves against Liverpool. And strangely enough the Liverpool fans didn't have half as much to say. Its not about the technology or referee or human error. It's when it's against yourvteam. When it's all just so unfair.

L-Dog

Expert Member
Why move to the other incident?

When results from an imperfect adjudication mechanism goes against your team you can't want to rewrite the whole process.

End of last year I remember against wolves VAR robbed wolves against Liverpool. And strangely enough the Liverpool fans didn't have half as much to say. Its not about the technology or referee or human error. It's when it's against yourvteam. When it's all just so unfair.
I just moved to the other incenedent to prove Var is subjective... Also a wolves fan and it went way worse for them last year. You are probably a Man U fan so you don't mind the broken Var. I am not against Var it just needs to be implemented way better and probably moaning more than I should as it was a derby game

The Voice

Honorary Master
I just moved to the other incenedent to prove Var is subjective... Also a wolves fan and it went way worse for them last year. You are probably a Man U fan so you don't mind the broken Var. I am not against Var it just needs to be implemented way better and probably moaning more than I should as it was a derby game
VAR is clearly working as intended:

EkjCovqXIAUS4lW.jpg

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
There is something seriously wrongly with the PL VAR implementation.

It's one poor decision after the other irrespective of the team playing.

It's spoiling the game for me.

Rugby and cricket have got it right, Football not.

Pickford is dumb idiot and needs a 3 match ban for dangerous play.

cenredash

Expert Member
So I don't understand the leap from me asking you simple questions about things for which there are evidence to the contrary to me being okay with VAR because I'm a man united fan. Lots of leaps you make in your observation which has nothing to do with your original comment about Mane not being offside. He was offside, the pixels show it.

The Pickford VVD incident is different, and ridiculous, and I agree that Pickford should have been sent off immediately and then gotten a 3 game suspension, on the same basis that there was no offside call on the offside, just as I mentioned in the Mane case earlier.

I'm not a fan of VAR, but I do think its moving in the right direction, and with the right intention, to get the correct decision.

As @AfricanTech mentioned, cricket has gotten it more right (although duckworth lewis still has a lot to answer for) and so did rugby. Some VAR decisions have been awful, because of errors in the protocol or in the application by those same humans that make other poor decisions, but on the whole it has improved the decision-making.

fishfly

Honorary Master
Funny this football, when a player is injured play continues and nothing happens to the player that did the injury... yet when they fake and roll around like they had been shot, the ref immediately brandish the yellow and red cards.

Reverse also holds for the fans, when the team you supporting gets injured every fan is up in arms whole the opposition fans tells you to suck it up, yet when it happens to their player it's a huge outcry...

fishfly

Honorary Master
Let's not forget, they did bliksem Liverpool 7-2 in their last game. ;)
Yeah but nothing is consistent - they may be on a flying start but there's still 30 odd games to go - might just end up fighting relegation midway through

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Yeah but nothing is consistent - they may be on a flying start but there's still 30 odd games to go - might just end up fighting relegation midway through
Yeah, they escaped relegation due to the officials forgetting to switch on the goal line tech at the end of last season

The Voice

Honorary Master
Not so sure about that this season. They've won 4/4 so far. Sure, they've all been wins against mid or bottom of the table teams (Sheffield, Fulham) but also top 6 (Leicester) and the reigning CHAMPIONS, and their GD is +10.

Give credit where it's due.