Football banter thread

Splinter

Honorary Master
@KOPITE

Four home game losses in a row; first time in twenty odd years that Everton have won in the derby?

How deep are going to mine underground to ignore this?

@KOPITE

Four home game losses in a row; first time in twenty odd years that Everton have won in the derby?

@KOPITE

@KOPITE

@KOPITE

@KOPITE - we are worried about you. Do you need oxygen supplies where you are underground?

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
Some of us ended with a severe bout of depression. I am about 3 kgs less than my Christmas weight. I will be there to support my team, but the results (not the performance) have been spectacularly and unbelievably bad that I have been numb. The loss of players has been spectacularly and unbelievably bad. There has not been much solace, like Man United keep winning as well. It is unfathomable.

cenredash

Expert Member
Some of us ended with a severe bout of depression. I am about 3 kgs less than my Christmas weight. I will be there to support my team, but the results (not the performance) have been spectacularly and unbelievably bad that I have been numb. The loss of players has been spectacularly and unbelievably bad. There has not been much solace, like Man United keep winning as well. It is unfathomable.
It's fathomable as your team has experienced terrible luck at cb with injuries, just as you had two unbelievable years without major injuries impacting your team.

We're not exactly flying either but doing OK.

Kudos to you for not being plastic. The joy and pain of being a football fan. May we all have airtime when our teams play poorly.

cenredash

Expert Member
So when we drew at Liverpool, they laughed.

And they laughed when we drew with Man City (and they lose to Man City)
And they laughed when we drew with Everton (and they lose to Everton)
And they laughed when we drew with West Brom (and they draw with West Brom)
And they laughed when we drew with Chelsea (and they lose to Chelsea)
And they laughed when we drew with Arsenal ...

Just saying that Pool looks like they've got a case of long-term Covid.

Thoughts and prayers to you know who.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Not banter, but potentially good news for everyone here.

FIFA will begin testing Arsene Wenger's proposal to change the offside rule so that if any part of an attacker's body is onside, then he will be deemed to be onside.

Geez, defenders will now actually need to defend. The strikers must be licking their lips! :D

Speedster

Honorary Master
So complicated and difficult to police. Why not simply leave as is for manual refereeing and for VAR make it the most forward part of the attackers foot (or any grounded part of their body) and the hindmost part of the defenders foot?

R13...

Honorary Master
So complicated and difficult to police. Why not simply leave as is for manual refereeing and for VAR make it the most forward part of the attackers foot (or any grounded part of their body) and the hindmost part of the defenders foot?
Same as now just that advantage will favour attackers. I think it is a bit unfair either way. But tactics will adjust.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
We've lost sight of what the law was put in to prevent ...a forward gaining a positional advantage by camping high up the field. The offsides VAR is getting called on to police nowadays are the kind of thing we wouldn't worry about on the football field while playing. It's gotten worse as television and technology took over. A forward with a toe beyond the defender isn't gaining anything.

Personally, I blame George Graham :p

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
So when we drew at Liverpool, they laughed.

And they laughed when we drew with Man City (and they lose to Man City)
And they laughed when we drew with Everton (and they lose to Everton)
And they laughed when we drew with West Brom (and they draw with West Brom)
And they laughed when we drew with Chelsea (and they lose to Chelsea)
And they laughed when we drew with Arsenal ...

Just saying that Pool looks like they've got a case of long-term Covid.

Thoughts and prayers to you know who.

Of course we laughed. How could you not get 3 points against Liverpool? Even Brighton and Burnley managed that

Botha22

Not banter, but potentially good news for everyone here.

FIFA will begin testing Arsene Wenger's proposal to change the offside rule so that if any part of an attacker's body is onside, then he will be deemed to be onside.
Reading that I remembered a retired Italian striker called Filippo Inzaghi and Sir Alex's quip - " That lad must have been born offside!"

I wonder who would be the current equivalent to Inzaghi and would benefit the most from this rule change - Timo Werner / Rushford / Vardy?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Haaland to City and Sancho to Liverpool next season? Maybe even Mbappe to Chelsea :p

The Voice

Honorary Master
Same as now just that advantage will favour attackers. I think it is a bit unfair either way. But tactics will adjust.
Beats a striker being called off because the tip of his little finger was ahead of the defender's ear. Because that's the kind of margin (and bullshit) VAR seems to like working with these days.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Well it IS the lino/ref's call at the moment. VAR only comes into play if anything happens (i.e. a goal is scored, etc) and makes adjustments retrospectively.

With the new rule, during a freekick, for example, a forward will know he just has to leave his trailing leg onside to be fine. Currently, it has to be his entire body. And yes, it will improve defending, too, but the Sky guys were saying that VAR can be handy, but that it's stifling the attacking side of football - a game that is about goals.

I know I'm not the only one here who's gone mental when my team's scored only for that total silence followed by "oh look, John, I think VAR has seen something. Yes, his nose was offside there, no goal!"...

The Voice

Honorary Master
We've lost sight of what the law was put in to prevent ...a forward gaining a positional advantage by camping high up the field. The offsides VAR is getting called on to police nowadays are the kind of thing we wouldn't worry about on the football field while playing. It's gotten worse as television and technology took over. A forward with a toe beyond the defender isn't gaining anything.

Personally, I blame George Graham :p
Damn you! The Arsenal Offside Trap (TM) was a masterpiece!

I don't think attackers will necessarily gain MORE of an advantage - looking at Vardy and Co who spend 86% of the match on the shoulder of the last defender. It probably won't encourage that style of play, either, because if the attacker's foot is keeping him onside, guess what? The defender can just move a foot forward and he's off.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Well it IS the lino/ref's call at the moment. VAR only comes into play if anything happens (i.e. a goal is scored, etc) and makes adjustments retrospectively.

With the new rule, during a freekick, for example, a forward will know he just has to leave his trailing leg onside to be fine. Currently, it has to be his entire body. And yes, it will improve defending, too, but the Sky guys were saying that VAR can be handy, but that it's stifling the attacking side of football - a game that is about goals.

I know I'm not the only one here who's gone mental when my team's scored only for that total silence followed by "oh look, John, I think VAR has seen something. Yes, his nose was offside there, no goal!"...
My point is to simplify it. It's not always easy seeing whether a players pinky is ahead of a player 20m away's nose. Why not simply it to the part of the body that is touching the ground?

The Voice

Honorary Master
Haaland to City and Sancho to Liverpool next season? Maybe even Mbappe to Chelsea :p
Watched a bit of the Kick Off speaking about that.

Mbappe isn't going anywhere for a while. With the current setup at PSG, Poch has them doing really well in the CL, and given their finances a European trophy isn't far off now. So why would he want to move if he can build a legacy there?

Sancho seems likely to move, but I don't think Haaland would go to City (yet) even because of the connection with his dad. He'd be infinitely rotated, whereas he's currently the main man at Dortmund.

They also reckon that Haaland and Mbappe will be their generations Ronaldo and Messi.