For every skilled professional coming to South Africa, 8 are leaving

Lupus

Honorary Master
And thanks to BEE companies aren't filling vacancies as they are holding out for that special one.

Mrlepen

Mista_Mobsta

The guys emigrating are typically not new grads. New grads are a dime a dozen, and it takes quite a while for them to become truly useful. With fewer experienced professionals, the new grads also have fewer people to gain experience from.
Exactly this. In the financial trading environment, having a mentor that teaches grads the ins and outs of the markets across the board is a major positive. Many of the financial professional traders I have dealt with over the years have jumped across to Singapore, New York, London and Sydney. Grads just can't fill their shoes so the banks and funds are luring professionals from Dubai and ,ironically enough, the cities mentioned above!

Messugga

Honorary Master
I like how the guy mentioned Mauritius. That country is doing extremely well in terms of growth and has real potential from a financial services point of view.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
We are 5 from one department in my previous company that have left so far. Another 2 lined up for the first 6 months of this year.

The one arriving today will make our new company more South African than local.

As for colour, the two expat FB groups I am part of, confirms it is not a coulour thing anymore. And the admin approves like 50 requests a week.

Last edited:
And the truth is that its the experienced ,highly skilled people leaving and they are the significant taxpayers because of high salary brackets.Another thing ,for example,in engineering you can't just train a recent graduate overnight to manage a big multi million rand project.Someone experienced and skilled has to oversee the work.Its sad its mainly the experienced ones leaving and other countries are welcoming them with open arms

We are 5 from one department in my precious company that have left so far. Another 2 lined up for the first 6 months of this year.

The one arriving today will make our new company more South African than local.

As for colour, the two expat FB groups I am part of, confirms it is not a coulour thing anymore. And the admin approves like 50 requests a week.
The company where I work (engineering consulting) has lost two skilled individuals to immigration fairly recently