For those of you that have/had braces....

Frikkie5000

I'm getting dental braces to correct my bite at the tender age of 38. Yay for me.

I'm very ocd when it comes to these things and was wondering if those of you who had braces can give me a couple of pointers, specifically related to hygiene and general care.

Which types of foods are best avoided or minimised? I watched the video the orthodontist showed me and things like popcorn, chewing ice, tough meat, hard apples are generally a no-no. But which other foods did you find are best avoided or annoying to deal with?

What about stuff like spinach, Pronutro, oats, whole wheat bread, peanut butter, etc.? Some of those seem like they could also be a bit of a pita to get clean if you wear braces.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Lol really now? Just get Oral B Superfloss. Works great for braces. Still have braces on the back of my teeth and I eat anything and rarely floss.

Frikkie5000

Lol really now? Just get Oral B Superfloss. Works great for braces. Still have braces on the back of my teeth and I eat anything and rarely floss.

Cool. I'm just a bit paranoid. I literally don't know anyone with braces and the entire internet is filled with "I ate popcorn with braces and got an abscess" stories.

zizo911

Executive Member
Eat whatever you want to... I also have full set braces on. Just brush and use that oral b floss for braces, but it's quite expensive though.

tRoN

Executive Member
Be careful of what you read on the internet.

Most of the time it’s about breaking the brackets rather than being an infection risk.

Oh wait....ignore me

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Well, the biggest one that annoyed me was ribs, since you can't properly bite without the bracer scraping against the bone. Ended up avoiding ribs at braais while I had braces when I was younger. Apples is the same thing, and I still don't eat it without cutting it up first due to still having archwires top and bottom, but it's behind not in front, doesn't really impact me anymore though besides having to get/use floss threaders afterwards.

Other things like nuts are fine, it's when they either shorten/tighten the wire or move you up to another one that you get problems as biting will be sore, keep some porridge for the day and the day after, usually after the second day you'll be fine.

If you are also doing over/under bite, the elastics can get quite annoying, you can just take them off while eating and put them back on after.

Braces are nice, you'll feel better about yourself once you finish.

twaatie

Be careful of what you read on the internet.

Most of the time it’s about breaking the brackets rather than being an infection risk.

Oh wait....ignore me
Correct, to prevent breaking

Daughter started her's about 8 months ago , got given a list of things to avoid for that exact reason

grim101

Just eat more carefully. Hygiene is important, you don't want straight teeth with rot or marks on them.

The joy when they tighten those wires every few weeks

rog163

Best investment I made was a aqua floss, made it a lot easier to clean. Also get some anti inflammatory for the days your braces are tightened. Think that was the worst for me.

syntax

Executive Member
Best investment I made was a aqua floss, made it a lot easier to clean. Also get some anti inflammatory for the days your braces are tightened. Think that was the worst for me.

agree on the aqua flosser!
I also had to avoid biltong sticks because it kept breaking the brackets. Other than that, it wasnt bad

wonduhboy

I've just had braces fitted (at age 38). Only 2 days in, no pain, but quite uncomfortable still, hoping that goes quickly.

Eating is a total pain though - there is food stuck everywhere in the braces.
Is this normal? Does it get better?
Is the Aqua Flosser worth it? especially versus normal flossing, which is now a total hack.

Ghost02

Expert Member
I'm also considering braces - what was the cost if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not sure whether to do braces or invislign

wonduhboy

All-in, mine will cost around R50k - this includes removing, retainers for afterwards, 6-weekly appointments etc.

syntax

Executive Member
I've just had braces fitted (at age 38). Only 2 days in, no pain, but quite uncomfortable still, hoping that goes quickly.

Eating is a total pain though - there is food stuck everywhere in the braces.
Is this normal? Does it get better?
Is the Aqua Flosser worth it? especially versus normal flossing, which is now a total hack.

The aqua flosser was quite useful although I abandoned it later on (about 1 year in)
The uncomfortable part goes away, it will feel crap again when you get them tightened but its short lived.
Eventually you get used to it and adapt as needed. I actually missed mine when they came off...go figure

The food thing really depends what you eat and how you eat. I cut my food much smaller to try help and avoided certain things. I didnt have huge problems with stuff getting stuck but I may just have been lucky.

Good luck man, it isnt so bad and goes by rather quickly. Totally worth it in the end

syntax

Executive Member

Mine was around 25 or 30k all in regardless if it took 2 years or 4. (about 5 years ago I think)
I believe the invisilign were significantly more expensive and also extended the length of the treatment.

People care less than you think about someone wearing braces. You will get one or two idiots who have something stupid to say, but the nice part about getting it done when you are an adult is most people around you are adults as well and dont really care.
The amount of people who told me they wish they had the courage to get braces as an adult was surprising, seems tons of people are unhappy with their teeth

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

Depends on what they need to do - for one of my kids it was R30k and the other cost R10k more. Then there are the additional dentist appointments etc.

Ghost02

Expert Member
All-in, mine will cost around R50k - this includes removing, retainers for afterwards, 6-weekly appointments etc.
Mine was around 25 or 30k all in regardless if it took 2 years or 4. (about 5 years ago I think)
I believe the invisilign were significantly more expensive and also extended the length of the treatment.

People care less than you think about someone wearing braces. You will get one or two idiots who have something stupid to say, but the nice part about getting it done when you are an adult is most people around you are adults as well and dont really care.
The amount of people who told me they wish they had the courage to get braces as an adult was surprising, seems tons of people are unhappy with their teeth
Depends on what they need to do - for one of my kids it was R30k and the other cost R10k more. Then there are the additional dentist appointments etc.
Thanks guys, will go for a quote and pull the trigger on braces and get it over and done with.

rambo919

Honorary Master
Braces.... one of the things I regret most in life..... my teeth went almost right back to where they were in the years after and now I have gaps that get painfully clogged when I eat meat.....

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Braces.... one of the things I regret most in life..... my teeth went almost right back to where they were in the years after and now I have gaps that get painfully clogged when I eat meat.....
Should've kept the braces at the back of your teeth in. Keeps things from falling apart.