Forced lockdown or mandated vaccines?

Which would you prefer if these were your only two choices?

• Forced lockdown for everyone

Votes: 56 24.5%
  • Forced vaccination for everyone

Votes: 173 75.5%

• Total voters

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Say South Africans are terrible as things like wearing masks and cleaning their hands (you just need to stand outside a shopping center where the hand sanitizers is to get an idea of how bad this is) and the government has to respond with stronger measures to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed.

The government decides it has two choices. Put everyone in lockdown or make everyone get a vaccine. Which would you prefer?

neoprema

Executive Member
A very polarising option because one affects economy, livelihood, GDP and the other affects people's rights - perceived or real.
What I see being the only way out in some way is medication for COVID-19 to further diminish the risk in those with or without vaccination. But for FYI, I choose mandatory vaccination as that is the quickest path, albeit comprising multiple shots over time not 1 magic bullet jab.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Neither is acceptable. In the real world, were those the only choices (as your poll proposes), then for me and I suspect some others, other alternatives are preferable. This makes your binary-choice poll unscientific and unrelated to the real world.

Sayf777

Expert Member
Forced vaccinations for high risk groups and those 50+, along with mask wearing etc as the vaccine does not prevent transmission effectively.

Until the virus mutates to a weaker virus..

Lock down is never the answer as it delays the inevitable. Hopefully once the antiviral drug becomes available (like tamiflu was for swine flu) we can go back to normal

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Neither is acceptable. In the real world, were those the only choices (as your poll proposes), then for me and I suspect some others, other alternatives are preferable. This makes your binary-choice poll unscientific and unrelated to the real world.
This is a forum poll, not a scientific paper. Im sorry you dont know the difference.

Its a thought experiment, Im curious, when given the choice of one or the other, how many people would tank the economy to not take a tiny little vax injection.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I am not going to elaborate, but in my view the right to freedom of movement must be temporarily limited. Yes, do the 'Dompas' as much as I despise it, however, the unvaccinated should still be allowed with access though separated. Just for having controlled groups, but must be excluded from mass gatherings.

The vaccinated can still infect, it is a damned argument for mandated vaccination. The vaccine serves as a precautionary measure. We don't have a cure at this time.

Arthur

Honorary Master
This is a forum poll, not a scientific paper. Im sorry you dont know the difference.

Its a thought experiment, Im curious, when given the choice of one or the other, how many people would tank the economy to not take a tiny little vax injection.
Haha. "how many people would tank the economy to not take a tiny little vax". Really? Astonishing idiocy. And you think your "thought experiment" poll has the slightest validity.

It's only the government and other fascists who would even consider the option of tanking the economy. The virus has almost zero economic effect. It's the government lockdowns that destroy lives. I'm astonished you can't see that.

neoprema

Executive Member
Haha. "how many people would tank the economy to not take a tiny little vax". Really? Astonishing idiocy. And you think your "thought experiment" poll has the slightest validity.
You seem to be missing the point in your attempt to attack op. He's saying that is the scenario, and the question. Pick an answer. He's not asking of you to show your plethora of knowledge in epidemiology, global finance or your phd in philosophy. Its a forum post, not a plan to be submitted to the next G20 Health Summit.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Forced vaccination is the lesser of the two evils.
Totally.

Its also easier from a logistics point of view. Managing a lockdown, even for a short time is a nightmare.

It will be hard to convince anyone that we should have to lock down again. I mean proper, hard lockdown where the shops were closed and we couldn't even go for a walk.