Forcing Google Services to local (RSA) IP address

Colin62

Executive Member
Rough day then Di? I think you'll find Pada was joking. I also think that the help he dishes out getting people sorted using local servers for as much as possible should count in his favour...

Pada

Executive Member
I am allowed to be sarcastic... If I was going to be rude, I wouldn't have provided you with a local copy :p

Fragtion: how did you (or did someone else) compile that list of 400+ entries? I hope you didn't use nslookup for all those numbers to verify whether they exist...

fragtion

Expert Member
Fragtion: how did you (or did someone else) compile that list of 400+ entries? I hope you didn't use nslookup for all those numbers to verify whether they exist...
:) I use lightsquid with my Squid proxy cache, so I checked all the youtube-related hosts that have been accessed over the last month or so of usage, and then through trial-and-error worked out the maximum hosts for each type (r1 to r24 for example). I dumped all the hosts underneath each other in a text file called 'hosts', and then created a simple shell script to do the rest:
#!/bin/sh
rm -rf ips
while read IP ; do
echo $IP `nslookup $IP 196.43.1.11 | grep Add | grep -v '#' | cut -f 2 -d ' '` >> ips
done < hosts
While the "lscache" hosts resolved fine to local, the hosts with "nonxt" didn't. I noticed that there were exactly the same number of nonxt equivalents for the lscache ones, so I just gooi'd the local IP's for them too.
The nonxt hosts are usually used for videos that aren't cached locally, so by adding those entries to your hosts files you'll also help make sure that the right videos are cached on the right local servers :]

So the list isn't anything "official" - I may have left some stuff out (like upload.youtube etc). Contributions and corrections welcome :]

Pada

Executive Member
Awesome stuff Fragtion.

I've only wrote a script to lookup the addresses on multiple DNS servers to check for possible local IP addresses, so it took me a few hours to compile my list :(

nettracker

facebook stop working on local mirror from beginning of this month.but international is working.................

diane7

Rough day then Di? I think you'll find Pada was joking. I also think that the help he dishes out getting people sorted using local servers for as much as possible should count in his favour...

If your 20 year failed his driving TEST twice And Dident make it out of the Yard TEST

OK i wasent too serious about that remark ;-)

TO crown it all Kids Stuffed up my PC ...OUT of Range ..
have been working in Save mode for a Few days ( Going TO Format Cheers to 30Gigs of Games I dont play ......Did try starting in VGA mode .....

AND Thanks Pada You have put a lot of work in this :)
Its 2 complicated 4 me .

Colin62

Executive Member
If your 20 year failed his driving TEST twice And Dident make it out of the Yard TEST

If any of mine get to 19 without passing, then they're on their own - walking. The oldest managed to pass hers 2 days after her 18th so it's working so far :)

technofool

Facebook not working

I have tried Gmail, Google Earth, Google Maps, Youtube, Everything works so far except Facebook.

Anyone else getting this with Facebook?

Code:
   * Overriding method: hosts file
    * ISP account name: TI DoBroadband 1
    * URL: [url]https://www.facebook.com/[/url]
    * Ping results: Time Outs for 165.165.39.200 / 202/ 203

* DNS Server IP address: DNS 1 196.43.38.190 
                             DNS 2 196.43.42.190

I am using a script running DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT 54 to split Local & International traffic.
So far this month I have done:
International 451 MB
Local 98 MB

Hopefully I will get a better split with Gmail and FB also local.

Last edited:

Pada

Executive Member
technofool: I can't ping those IP addresses either, but its definitely working for me, even on my Mweb account!

technofool

OK, so I commented out the 4 Facebook lines in the Hosts file. Then I had to login to FB and then I re-enabled the Facebook lines in the Hosts file and it seems to be working fine now. Until I need to login again.

Plus, if you can't ping a website how can you connect to use it? It's MAGIC, I tell you.

Pada

Executive Member
Plus, if you can't ping a website how can you connect to use it? It's MAGIC, I tell you.
Servers often block ICMP (ping) packets. So if you can't ping the server, it doesn't imply that the server is definitely offline!

That's why you run nmap to check for all the available services running on that server :)

technofool

@Pada Thanks, yes I realised my ping stupidity just after I hit the post button. ;-)

Okay, quick update on the Facebook not loading issue. If I comment out the #165.165.39.203 www.facebook.com hosts file line it works.

Then I can re-enable the line and surf Facebook (locally??) for 10 or 15 mins. All seems to work fine till it times out again. Then I have to comment out the www.facebook.com line again to get restarted.

WTH is going on??

PS: I'm using https: If that could possibly make a difference?? I have tried using the http URL but no luck either.

Last edited:

Pada

Executive Member
I'm not sure whats going on with your connection. Just try to refresh the page a couple of times.
I know people are having caching issues with YouTube when forcing it to a local IP address.

It shouldn't make any difference whether you're using HTTP or HTTPS. HTTPS might give you less problems, since HTTPS can't be cached.

stroebs

Expert Member
If you can't login to Facebook on local, try going to m.facebook.com or touch.facebook.com, login, then go to facebook.com

Pada

Executive Member
Nice suggestion stroebs.
... or you can use the IS IP address range on the SAIX network :)

assassin1975

Hello Pada

I have set up traffic splitter it works great :) However i am unable to get Facebook to route to the local Ip address - Google works great.

I have tried it with a Axxess and Afrihost account - ( IS Backbone)

What do you suggest?

Pada

Executive Member
assassin1975:
I'd suggest that you just dial the local only account and then do the hosts file modifications and try to get Facebook working on local cap.

Usually it's just the login page that causes issues, which is why Stroebs suggested that you try http://m.facebook.com or http://touch.facebook.com to login instead - but that would require international cap since we didn't add those addresses to the list in the hosts file.

Please note that you don't have to add any of these addresses mentioned in this thread to the route lists of Traffic Splitter / Route Sentry !!! They should ONLY go in the hosts file.
If you update the route list by clicking the update button in Traffic Splitter, it should include the local Facebook, Google & YouTube addresses and route them via the local account.

assassin1975

Thanks Pada - New scenario - Only youtube works now - Facebook still off and Gmail also...ai

Anyways have sufficient bandwith left to access Gmail And Facebook.

Thanks for this great application Pada.. Its awesome..;)

Last edited:

Tinuva

The Magician
Maybe you can add a section for WA too:

maps.l.google.com [64.233.179.104]
writely.l.google.com [64.233.179.100] (docs ect)
youtube-ui.l.google.com [64.233.179.91]
googlemail.l.google.com [64.233.179.83]

Obviously these will only work on WA for local and not on most other.

A trace will look like this:
Code:
C:\Users\Tinuva>tracert mail.google.com

Tracing route to googlemail.l.google.com [64.233.179.83] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     7 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  router.heaven.za.net [10.0.0.1]
  2    12 ms     7 ms     8 ms  dsl-185-83-1.dynamic.wa.co.za [41.185.83.1]
  3    21 ms     9 ms     8 ms  vl105.cr.gw.cpt.za.wa.co.za [196.220.59.250]
  4    18 ms     9 ms     8 ms  vl40.er.gw.cpt.za.wa.co.za [41.185.0.98]
  5    12 ms    36 ms     9 ms  198.32.214.41
  6     9 ms     9 ms     9 ms  64.233.174.33
  7     9 ms     8 ms    10 ms  64.233.174.107
  8     9 ms     8 ms     8 ms  cpt01s01-in-f83.1e100.net [64.233.179.83]

Trace complete.