• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Forcing Google Services to local (RSA) IP address

nerf

Those using Afrihost and Axxess can make use of 66.8.14.14 for all the Youtube and Google URLs posted further back in this thread

Pada

Executive Member
can u get this to work on a android phone
(using wifi)
You may be able to do it when your Android phone is rooted.

If you have a decent router - like one running MikroTik RouterOS/CentOS/DD-WRT/OpenWRT/etc - then you could do this trick that would force the traffic to the local servers for all your clients/devices in your home.

Ofcourse you can also do this by setting up Internet Connection Sharing on a Windows PC (or the same using a Linux box), by letting your phone connect to the Internet via your PC.

stroebs

Expert Member
You may be able to do it when your Android phone is rooted.

If you have a decent router - like one running MikroTik RouterOS/CentOS/DD-WRT/OpenWRT/etc - then you could do this trick that would force the traffic to the local servers for all your clients/devices in your home.

Ofcourse you can also do this by setting up Internet Connection Sharing on a Windows PC (or the same using a Linux box), by letting your phone connect to the Internet via your PC.
Is there a post detailing Mikrotik config somewhere?

zeee

hey guys ima noobie i got google to work as well as you tube. the problem im having is with facebook. im on telkom all access 10gb.
i can get mfacebook to login but cannot load pictures and facebook.com gives me an invalid url on chrome and firefox. im using 165.165.47.9 for facebook as when i ping the others i get a request time out. also i cannot login to my youtube account. can i do that? lol please im new at this, can anyone please help me out i just want to be able to get on facebook and use my apps there.tx

fragtion

Expert Member
hey guys ima noobie i got google to work as well as you tube. the problem im having is with facebook. im on telkom all access 10gb.
i can get mfacebook to login but cannot load pictures and facebook.com gives me an invalid url on chrome and firefox. im using 165.165.47.9 for facebook as when i ping the others i get a request time out. also i cannot login to my youtube account. can i do that? lol please im new at this, can anyone please help me out i just want to be able to get on facebook and use my apps there.tx
facebook.com won't work anymore, they've stopped hosting that with akamai

Anthro

Expert Member
i can not seem to change any permissions to save to the file, help please?
Easiest way:
Create the file on your desktop (just call it hosts)
open with notepad, enter the contents
Browse to your directory where hosts is saved - drag the file you created on desktop into there, and replace ;-)