Forcing ISPs to have black owners will be disastrous – Expert

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Wonder if this applies to Elon :p

Starlink will have to register an entity here in the case they have not done so already, so, yes, it will apply to SpaceX/Starlink unless they decide to distribute and sell their product via a channel, which I doubt, since 'Musk Companies' do maintain ownership and control where a service is rendered, but in the case, it does the resellers or integrators will have to abide, but in Starlink’s case their turnover here will in any case be within the empowerment scale hence BB-BEE compliance will be a requirement. It wouldn't concern them as they would already have an appropriate empowered shareholder relationship in place, besides they will even use it to promote their service and brand.

Thor

Honorary Master
and yet it will still happen.

ANC is cancer

copacetic

King of the Hippies
There is a limited number of licences available from ICASA so the simple answer is not really

There is a limited number of Individual licences, which have to be traded/transferred. There are about 1K licensees on the Class list, and they are registered like wildfire all the time. So it is not strictly correct to say there is a limited number of licences.

Reactions: Swa

adrianx

Expert Member
Racism usually turns out to be a disaster, I thought that was already established a couple of decades ago.

LOM

Honorary Master
So dramatic.
Couldn't be worse than voting ANC surely.

Swa

Honorary Master
Racism usually turns out to be a disaster, I thought that was already established a couple of decades ago.
The ANC was always about a country for blacks and not an equal society. Pretty soon the rest of the world will see and know it as well.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Won't make a difference, Telkom/Openserve has begun pricing the smaller ISPs into oblivion. Once Vuma and Frogfoot match their pricing it's going to be a bloodbath with only the biggest ISPs surviving. Companies which most probably are already BEE compliant

hellfire

Honorary Master
You can't just "give" a shareholding of an existing company to someone for nothing. There are massive tax consequences involved if shares are not disposed of at market-related prices.
and that's the real problem. It's not about black ownership being disastrous. It's giving away shareholding to random people that's disastrous

Solarion

Honorary Master
I believe they call this insertion of an occupying force. Capture, subjugate and dismantle.

Basically run it into the ground and eventually replace it with your own assets. Old guerilla tactics but still the same principle being used.

iu

B-1

Expert Member
Starlink will have to register an entity here in the case they have not done so already, so, yes, it will apply to SpaceX/Starlink unless they decide to distribute and sell their product via a channel, which I doubt, since 'Musk Companies' do maintain ownership and control where a service is rendered, but in the case, it does the resellers or integrators will have to abide, but in Starlink’s case their turnover here will in any case be within the empowerment scale hence BB-BEE compliance will be a requirement. It wouldn't concern them as they would already have an appropriate empowered shareholder relationship in place, besides they will even use it to promote their service and brand.

That doesn't mean the ISP has to be in SA though. If starlink is open to all subscribers world wide then buying your equipment on Amazon and subscribing to an international ISP would be fine. They do need local representation to get frequency which may be an issue for them if they don't support the racism though.

Bewlen

Expert Member
Relax everyone, don't you all know that ideology fills stomachs?

It might be filled by eating dried rats, but still very filling....

DNhSiEMW0AAWwJf.jpg

Kodi

Hypothetically, let's say Starlink establishes a local branch in South Africa and its ownership is, well, Starlink in USA. This In effect would mean the South Africa branch is not a separate entity.

Now, they apply for license to operate. I would imagine there must be clauses to accommodate for this scenario.