Ford Given Massive Fine In Australia Over Its Crappy PowerShift Transmission

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
Ford’s PowerShift transmission has had a rough go of it since being introduced in 2010, mainly for being ****ty.

It’s also been the subject of lawsuits and, now, a hefty 10 million Australian dollar fine handed out to Ford by the Australian government, which called the way Ford responded to consumer complaints over the transmission there “unconscionable.”

The PowerShift, which you can still get on the Focus and the Fiesta (well, for now) has been massively improved after a wealth of complaints, but those improvements didn’t come quick enough in Australia, where the government says that Ford mistreated customers who complained between May 2015 and February 2016.

Among the complaints were shuddering, jerking, and excessive noise on Focuses, Fiestas, and EcoSports, according to The Sydney Morning Herald.

As a result, Ford’s 10 million Australian dollars is the highest ever such penalty in the country.

Of those vehicles, 37 per cent had at least one clutch replacement, but [Australian Competition and Consumer Commission chairman Rod Sims] said the company told consumers the issues were not its fault.

“Despite knowing that shuddering was a symptom of the quality issues with the vehicles, Ford frequently told customers that shuddering was the result of the customer’s driving style,” he said.

“Ford knew that the symptoms of the quality issues with the vehicles were experienced intermittently, but required customers to demonstrate them on demand in the presence of a dealer in order for repairs to be undertaken."

“In most cases, Ford refused to provide a refund or no-cost replacement vehicle to consumers, even after vehicles had undergone multiple repairs that had not resolved consumers’ complaints.”

Ford, for their part, says that they were simply “overwhelmed” by the complaints.

“We were overwhelmed with the volume of complaints and, while it was not intended, over a 10-month period our processes were inadequate and information provided was either inaccurate or incomplete,” [Ford Australia President Graeme Whickman] said.

“We let our customers down and for that we are sorry.”

The PowerShift transmission, it must be said, has gotten a lot better. Though it will soon be pretty much a non-factor in the U.S., since Ford is killing its cars.

Source: https://jalopnik.com/ford-given-massive-fine-in-australia-over-its-crappy-po-1825567617

supersunbird

Honorary Master
So the shudder in my mothers automatic (aka powershift) is not my imagination, I wonder how Ford SA treats the issue?

Curious_Al

I won’t lie, my fiesta’s powershift does shudder only in very low speed sometimes... besides that it’s actually a pretty smooth gearbox

thechamp

Honorary Master
“Despite knowing that shuddering was a symptom of the quality issues with the vehicles, Ford frequently told customers that shuddering was the result of the customer’s driving style,” he said.
Very convenient, always.

Nirv

I looked at the article and this linked to another article which basically said that Ford is discontinuing Fiesta, Focus and Fusion in the US. Just not enough models sold in relation to their "trucks" and SUVs. Funny considering how the UK is full of Fiestas and Focus, such different markets.

Also, looking forward to Mr Cadogan's gloating video about PowerSh*t :)

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
“We let our customers down and for that we are sorry.”

lol, they will just continue to sell crap.

Colin62

Executive Member
They’re sorry they got a fine and they’re sorry their market share will drop further.

Dave

Honorary Master
Ford Given Massive Fine In Australia

a hefty 10 million Australian dollar fine handed out to Ford
"Ford given massive fine" AUS$10 million is around US$7.5 million.

Last year Fords revenue was US$41.3 billion

"Massive fine" seems a massive exaggeration...

bigboy529

Expert Member
My friends mother has a auto Eco Sport, the 1.5 petrol. That things box is driving them crazy, they are at the point of burning it. It has been at Ford at least 8 times in the last year or so, they reset software, replace ATF etc. It's better for a week or 2 then just goes bad again. Shuddering, feels like it wants to slip from time to time, eradic up or down shifts for no reason etc, a real POS auto box.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
"Ford given massive fine" AUS$10 million is around US$7.5 million.

Last year Fords revenue was US$41.3 billion

"Massive fine" seems a massive exaggeration...
Still, it's ~R100m, pretty sizeable consumer protection fine.

Dave

Honorary Master
Still, it's ~R100m, pretty sizeable consumer protection fine.
Would you find it a huge burden if you (as an average wage earner) got a R10 fine?

It's peanuts when viewed against their revenue.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
My friends mother has a auto Eco Sport, the 1.5 petrol. That things box is driving them crazy, they are at the point of burning it. It has been at Ford at least 8 times in the last year or so, they reset software, replace ATF etc. It's better for a week or 2 then just goes bad again. Shuddering, feels like it wants to slip from time to time, eradic up or down shifts for no reason etc, a real POS auto box.
Don't worry, it will do this by it self :p