Foreigners’ shops looted in PE.

MickeyD

RIP
Grocery shopping...

581590_526014907480014_1767758887_n.jpg

Anonymous™

The BASTARDS!!!
:"D. How dare they enable poor folk to survive!

Apparently that is anti-competitive... :rolleyes:
Perhaps it is; but given the need they fulfill. We need to stop & reevaluate how macro policies make it necessary.

I found it out recently....

stock:
1) smuggle hijacked cargo ships containers to SA.
2) steal containers from ports.
3) hijack local trucks
4) steal local warehouses

retail shop:
1) sell lower than the cost prices
2) expand any position available in the area.
3) wide range of goods / products. anything from ipod, cell phone to milk power, nappies, toilet paper.

they rob the local / foreign legal owners, and sell their loots locally below the cost prices.
their practices are aim to kill all local small businesses.

their actions create more dangerous and damages than cheap chinese imports and nigerian drug dealers to SA. :mad:
Whilst I don't, can't, dispute the allegations; I can't help but smell generalization-sauce all over. I've had the priviledge of interacting with a few and those I'd dare call friends are genuinely legit business owners that beat the odds to carve a life out for themselves here.

A few bad apples cannot be said to represent an entire population. Otherwise, us South Africans, are slapgat-government-handout-hungry-mofos.

STS

Mafia Detective
Was a war zone in PE last night... Motherwell, Kleinskool, KwaDesi, Kwazakhele, Zwide, New Brighton, etc.

Started out as a Somalian shop looting spree then spread to the Chinese shops.

All this over a single incident where the Somalian perpetrator has already been arrested.

just because somebody is shot, doesn't mean the entire community can go on a rampage. they should all be arrested :(

MickeyD

RIP
just because somebody is shot, doesn't mean the entire community can go on a rampage. they should all be arrested :(
There have been some arrests but SAPS are overwhelmed. It would appear that these attacks are being well co-ordinated, making it difficult for an already stretched SAPS to contain/prevent/react. There are also plenty of kids involved and you can imagine the uproar if a few were to be shot and/or killed.

Archer

Honorary Master

I say this is another epic win for mob justice!
:rolleyes:

IceQB

Expert Member
Seems more like a few unruly bunch taking advantage of the situation with SAPS deployed all over the place.

DreamKing

Honorary Master
no they all good guys.

remember next time open your door to let them do "stocks taking" from your home. ;)

DreamKing

Honorary Master
Yes. "Steal goods from local warehouses" has a completely different meaning to "steal local warehouses".

whatever.

what I wanted to write before was "steal from local warehouses", but I don't know why I wrote "steal local warehouses"

PS: but no one found that was a problem for the past 24 hours. :p

Last edited:

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
70 held in PE Protests

Seventy people have been arrested for public violence and looting spaza shops during protests in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape police said on Tuesday.

Brigadier Marinda Mills said the situation was "tense but stable" on Tuesday morning after sporadic looting of shops owned by immigrants on Monday night.

Looting was reported in Kwadwesi, Missionvale, Swartkops, New Brighton, and Motherwell. The protests broke out after a Somali man was arrested for allegedly shooting a man dead outside a shop on Saturday evening.

"During our interaction with affected communities, it was clear that the motive for the attacks on foreign-owned spaza shops [was] not xenophobic in nature, but a criminal element that has seized an opportunity," Mills said.

She said looting was considered public violence, a schedule one offence in terms of the Criminal Procedure Act.

It was difficult for police to prevent looting as it was hard to predict when and where it would occur.

"Most of the foreign shop owners have been assisted to relocate their property to safer locations. A high police presence and visibility is maintained in all the townships in the Nelson Mandela metro, and police stations have been put on high alert to ensure a quick response and, as far as possible, the immediate arrest of perpetrators."

Mills said residents in the areas told police they had no problem working and living with immigrants, and many had helped them during the attacks.

Source : Sapa /mjs/th/jje/jk
Date : 17 Sep 2013 11:05

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Serious unrest in Port Elizabeth tonight with several shops burnt down in townships. Violence are spreading to all the neighboring townships in the Motherwell region, Somalians are fleeing to the SAPS station for safety. Ai!