Forget load shedding – This SA family has lived off the Eskom grid for 10 years

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Forget load shedding – This South African family has lived off the Eskom grid for 10 years

With the return of Eskom load shedding, many South Africans are suffering extended periods without electricity.

While you can view the load shedding schedule ahead of time and make changes to your day to lessen its impact, the only truly unaffected South Africans will be those living off the grid.

Once such family is the Pretoria-based Dreckmeyrs, who have lived completely off the grid for around 10 years.

Sl8er

Executive Member
Either I'm déjà vu-ing really hard right now or I'm 85% sure I read this article (about this family) on MyBB before.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Yay for them and their ability to spend large quantities of money that most of us don't have.
+1. I would like to know how much they spent on all of this, and how much it would cost today. Probably more money than most people in SA earn in a year.

saor

Honorary Master

Petec

Expert Member
Just cutting the house over to LEB globes, hurt the beer fund a few years ago.
Panels, Gas, Gennies off gas, wind turbines, etc etc... That full kit is the cost of a house.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
For now I'd just like to get the lighting (most of it 220v LED bulbs) and the security systems on a solar charged battery bank.

Easy enough to cook and boil water on the Bushbaby gas stove thingy...

justplain

Expert Member
This is what the municipalities are afraid of...a dwindling of incoming from supplied services and energy self sufficient households.
Hence the government mulling over of the idea of charging you a tax for solar panels...

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
For now I'd just like to get the lighting (most of it 220v LED bulbs) and the security systems on a solar charged battery bank.

Easy enough to cook and boil water on the Bushbaby gas stove thingy...
Same. Get some lighting and the fridge on solar, then change the Geyser to solar and change oven/stove to gas. My ideals for now.
Will cost a lot less than this, and keep most of the loadshedding pain at bay.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
This is what the municipalities are afraid of...a dwindling of incoming from supplied services and energy self sufficient households.
Hence the government mulling over of the idea of charging you a tax for solar panels...
Then they must just fix their stuff, then there won't be such a problem

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
My problem with lack of Power is not @ home, Gas stove and Lanterns cover that with ease, hell I even have LTE internet and a UPS + laptop

The problem is the rest of the world like retail & work. Sure if you work in a low power consuming office its achievable, but in a factory env its not so easy and fuel prices does not help either.

Simply put, solar power ain't gonna power our heavy factory equipment. <--- and thats where the real economy loss lies.