Forget traditional voice calls - WhatsApp calling is cheaper

damian24

Why not compare the best pricing on each network for voice calls rather then the default as that excludes the impact of the "frills"

CellC 66c/min
Telkom 75c/min
Vodacom 79c/min
MTN 99c/min (not sure if you can still buy a (PEP) MTN card and get 60c/min

D

gfmalan

Expert Member
Business put a certain flow of communications in place that you don't miss important stuff, until Whatsapp Calling, can be added to the PBX as a "phone line", I feel that it would be very unprofessional to skip everything and call the employee direct.

Secondly when you are on a mobile call, and the Whatsapp call come in, it bother you as the normal call waiting options isn't working correctly.

Thirdly, the data aspect, each side pay.

Whatsapp Calling is for private stuff.

Shaun108

Executive Member
I popped in a Cell C card and their network isn't the same quality as Voda or MTN. Explains their lower call rates somewhat I guess.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Why is it unprofessional?
Laggy, especially over LTE connections. fixed line wifi connections are better. I don't want to pretend I'm talking to people on the moon.

Just had it last week, the WA call (I only answered because it was a specific person) kept disconnecting, when that person then called with a normal voice call, no issues.

Milano

Honorary Master
WhatsApp call quality is most often atrocious. No way you would want to attempt to use WhatsApp calling for anything vaguely important as your relative could end up with the incorrect appendage amputated.

gamer16

Executive Member
Laggy, especially over LTE connections. fixed line wifi connections are better. I don't want to pretend I'm talking to people on the moon.

Just had it last week, the WA call (I only answered because it was a specific person) kept disconnecting, when that person then called with a normal voice call, no issues.
Then its just ****, not necessarily unprofessional, what I find unprofessional is when suppliers grab my cell nr from my email signature and start having personal conversations on Whatsapp. They girls seem to mistake my friendliness for liking them, the only reason I'm friendly is cause I want a good deal on your products, other than that I have no interest in you.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Why not compare the best pricing on each network for voice calls rather then the default as that excludes the impact of the "frills"

CellC 66c/min
Telkom 75c/min
Vodacom 79c/min
MTN 99c/min (not sure if you can still buy a (PEP) MTN card and get 60c/min

D
Expecting high quality reporting from MyBB is like expecting 24 hours of uninterrupted power from Eskom.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Then its just ****, not necessarily unprofessional, what I find unprofessional is when suppliers grab my cell nr from my email signature and start having personal conversations on Whatsapp. They girls seem to mistake my friendliness for liking them, the only reason I'm friendly is cause I want a good deal on your products, other than that I have no interest in you.
Good luck whatsapping me on my 2016 Nokia 3310s nr which is on such signatures...

Wish I could disable whatsapp calling.

whatwhat

Executive Member

Anecdotal.

I call across the planet with Whatsapp every day with no issue.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
@Dairyfarmer (I think) mentioned this before: Both parties in the call have to pay for data with Whatsapp calls, whereas only the call initiator pays for airtime in a standard call.

Bit rude if the person you're phoning is low on data/airtime.
With Wifi all around, Afrihost 250mb free and Rain mobile it's a moot point really.
WhatsApp call quality is most often atrocious. No way you would want to attempt to use WhatsApp calling for anything vaguely important as your relative could end up with the incorrect appendage amputated.
Rarely have call quality issues. Most of the time it's great.

Drifter

Honorary Master
This. Hate it with a a passion.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yeah... Wish I could disable that crap... quality is atrocious more often than not, when it actually works.