• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Former foreign affairs minister Pik Botha dies

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Apartheid-era foreign affairs minister Pik Botha has died in his Pretoria home at the age of 86, his family confirmed on Friday morning.
His son, Piet Botha, who is in the band the Jack Hammer, confirmed to News24 that his father died peacefully in his sleep in the early hours of the morning.
"His wife Ina was with him until the end," he said.
"He was very sick during the last three weeks and his body just couldn't take it anymore."
https://m.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/former-foreign-affairs-minister-pik-botha-dies-20181012

Someone once told me that one of his legendary paper planes is in a display cabinet at the UN Headquarters in New York. Respect to a great man.

A veteran western diplomat, commenting on Botha’s long-running role in South African diplomacy, told the author “Pik Botha was a good man working for a bad government, one of the first National Party leaders who saw that democracy was inevitable. South Africa could have avoided years of turmoil and bloodshed if the National Party had taken his advice”.

Gordon_R

Expert Member
My staff and I, about 10 of us had a wonderful party during the '95 World Rugby Cup in Central Africa "Oom" Pik joined us. It was a good thrash and SA won the cup.
If I remember rightly, he was minister of environmental affairs at that time.
RIP Pik.
What a gentleman.

thechamp

Honorary Master
My staff and I, about 10 of us had a wonderful party during the '95 World Rugby Cup in Central Africa "Oom" Pik joined us. It was a good thrash and SA won the cup.
If I remember rightly, he was minister of environmental affairs at that time.
RIP Pik.
What a gentleman.
Minerals and energy according to the news reports.

Visser

Rip Oom Pik!

What a legend and gentleman!

Knew him personally for some time and had a few drinks with him on his plot outside Pretoria. Going to be missed!